Need Pit Bull advice!!!

-

4flats

Reaction score
Last night my wife came home from a play-date for our 7-yr. old with a 1 yr. old, 70 lb-ish pitt bull. The ladies who owned her really couldn't handle her and kept her on a chain in their back yard. Since we have around 90 acres for her to run and my wife has always wanted a pitt, she gladly brought her home (without discussing it with me).
The good : She is a beautiful, butterscotch pitt. HUGE neck and head, healthy, STRONG, and full of energy. She is super friendly, great with me, my wife (Veronica) and the two "big girls" (7 and 11). We haven't let the baby (19 months) get near her yet.
The bad : We also have a Sheperd mix (Max), a chow (Shadow), a beagle (skippy), 2 cats, a rabbit, and a bird. We're pretty maxed-out on pets. Max has always been the dominant one (8 years now), and rules the pack with a firm, fair paw. The Pitt (princess) goes nuts around the other dogs. She took to Skippy pretty quick, but he is verry small and about the same age. She and Max have already had a go. She is stronger than max and I am worried about him. I'm also worried about Shadow as she is much weaker and doesn't get around that well. She hasn't shown any intrest in the cats yet, but either of them or the rabbit would barely make a meal for her. I have to haul her around from the house to the kennel, and around the yard because she drags Veronica around like a rag doll.

What is the best way to introduce the animals? What do I need to look for to know that everything is OK, and feel safe with the baby around her?

I've introduced dogs before, but the stakes were never this high. I know there are a lot of PB owners on here and have seen pics of small children playing with them, but I have also seen pics of kids that have been mauled, I do not want to be in that second group. I am already getting attached to her, but if she is not safe around the other dogs or kids I will, most likely put her down. The animal shelters put down Pits after a few days, and I'd be afraid anyone who took her would fight her (vry big in Birmingham).

Personally I think pit bulls and young children are a bad mix. JMO.
Please be carefull. I know alot has to do with how they are raised but they still have agression in thier bloodlines.
How is the chows demeanor?

That's what worries me. I think that Pitts have gotten a bad rap, but I'm not ready to risk my girls to prove it. If it was just me, I wouldn't worry a bit.
The chow is a sweetheart. She is about 8 years old, but acts like a 15 year old dog.

I would be very cautious with any dog around your baby. I have had several pitts, all great dogs, but once I started having kids I stopped. I didnt want to take a chance, the stakes were to high.

My wife is a vet tech and claims pitts have a bad rap. matter of fact she once mentioned that chows are way more aggressive natured.
Also you are more likely to get bit by a german shepherd than a pitt.

Yes pit bulls can be great dogs and yes they can be aggressive especially when around other dogs and yes the smallest of incidents can set them off. However, introducing a 1 year old pit bull to the situation that allready exists at your house maybe playing with fire or may not be. Either way you've gotto ask yourself one important question, in the time it'll take for the pit bull to learn it's place in the pack (she'll no doubt want to be top dog) can you trust it especially around your kids. If it was me I'd say "NO". If you had brought her into the family as a puppy I wouldn't worry about it.

My thoughts exactly. Each dog has it's own personality. Max is great. Super protective. Shadow is, like I said, acts old, very calm, slow, not agressive at all. This new one, I don't really know yet. She still acts like a puppy, really high-energy. If she settles down and settles in, she may be a good dog, but she will not be unattended around the other dogs (definately not the kids) untill she PROVES that she is gentle. It's a big risk right now and I'm not comfortable with it. I want to get to know her before I pass judgement, but for now, she's guilty untill proven innocent. I feel like I just rented my spare room to Hannibal Lector.

i dont have experience with pitbulls but i had a american staffordshire wich is pretty close he was great around kids just alitle rough but never hurt anyone. the one and only thing that i know worked to keep that dog nice and calm was to make him entirely exhausted and you could not do that by physicly excersice him, you had to make him think real hard and work with things mentaly it always got him calm.

Last night my wife came home from a play-date for our 7-yr. old with a 1 yr. old, 70 lb-ish pitt bull. The ladies who owned her really couldn't handle her and kept her on a chain in their back yard. Since we have around 90 acres for her to run and my wife has always wanted a pitt, she gladly brought her home (without discussing it with me).
The good : She is a beautiful, butterscotch pitt. HUGE neck and head, healthy, STRONG, and full of energy. She is super friendly, great with me, my wife (Veronica) and the two "big girls" (7 and 11). We haven't let the baby (19 months) get near her yet.
The bad : We also have a Sheperd mix (Max), a chow (Shadow), a beagle (skippy), 2 cats, a rabbit, and a bird. We're pretty maxed-out on pets. Max has always been the dominant one (8 years now), and rules the pack with a firm, fair paw. The Pitt (princess) goes nuts around the other dogs. She took to Skippy pretty quick, but he is verry small and about the same age. She and Max have already had a go. She is stronger than max and I am worried about him. I'm also worried about Shadow as she is much weaker and doesn't get around that well. She hasn't shown any intrest in the cats yet, but either of them or the rabbit would barely make a meal for her. I have to haul her around from the house to the kennel, and around the yard because she drags Veronica around like a rag doll.

What is the best way to introduce the animals? What do I need to look for to know that everything is OK, and feel safe with the baby around her?

I've introduced dogs before, but the stakes were never this high. I know there are a lot of PB owners on here and have seen pics of small children playing with them, but I have also seen pics of kids that have been mauled, I do not want to be in that second group. I am already getting attached to her, but if she is not safe around the other dogs or kids I will, most likely put her down. The animal shelters put down Pits after a few days, and I'd be afraid anyone who took her would fight her (vry big in Birmingham).

Hey there! The best thing to do is to take your new baby to a quiet public setting such as a walk for a few days to get a feel of how your pibble will act in a new situation. First thing many people don't know about the breed is in thier history, the breed wasn't allowed to bite any person or it was considered a bad trait and the animal was put down. Most attacks are from the owners not being responsible, abuse, or it's not even really a pit but a look alike. Make sure you get a good feel of what your baby is comfortable with before introduction but if you are calm, it will help both of you alot. I suggest doing a little homework on your breed. :) I have had pits for many years and it is honestly the best breed of dog I have ever had. My boy and girl pit (not for breeding) get along fine with my children of 3 and 5 yrs and Ive had my girl pit since my kids were born. As a responsible pit owner, never trust your dog to run free unless in your yard. Introductions for the first time should be kept short to give the dog the chance to recover form the stress of meeting new people. Although the origional american pitbull terriers were bred not to bite people they do have a disposition to chew up other animals. It will help your introduction to know your dogs history and to know a lil more about what you will be required to do as a responsabile pit owner. good luck with the best breed you may ever own! If you like I can direct you to story and history pages :read2:

Hey there! The best thing to do is to take your new baby to a quiet public setting such as a walk for a few days to get a feel of how your pibble will act in a new situation. First thing many people don't know about the breed is in thier history, the breed wasn't allowed to bite any person or it was considered a bad trait and the animal was put down. Most attacks are from the owners not being responsible, abuse, or it's not even really a pit but a look alike. Make sure you get a good feel of what your baby is comfortable with before introduction but if you are calm, it will help both of you alot. I suggest doing a little homework on your breed. :) I have had pits for many years and it is honestly the best breed of dog I have ever had. My boy and girl pit (not for breeding) get along fine with my children of 3 and 5 yrs and Ive had my girl pit since my kids were born. As a responsible pit owner, never trust your dog to run free unless in your yard. Introductions for the first time should be kept short to give the dog the chance to recover form the stress of meeting new people. Although the origional american pitbull terriers were bred not to bite people they do have a disposition to chew up other animals. It will help your introduction to know your dogs history and to know a lil more about what you will be required to do as a responsabile pit owner. good luck with the best breed you may ever own! If you like I can direct you to story and history pages :read2:
And as far as your other dogs and animals, unless you can properly assert yourselves as pack leaders, you will have nothing but problems with who's alpha. My two pits never fight with eachother but strange dogs ask for problems unless they are submissive or small. It is a huge responsability to own a safe pit. Do your homework to see if it is right for your family since you already have alot on your plate with other animals.

And as far as your other dogs and animals, unless you can properly assert yourselves as pack leaders, you will have nothing but problems with who's alpha. My two pits never fight with eachother but strange dogs ask for problems unless they are submissive or small. It is a huge responsability to own a safe pit. Do your homework to see if it is right for your family since you already have alot on your plate with other animals.
Advice from my older sister.

You're absolutely right. Pits have gotten a bad rap. The problem is, people interbreed them with other dogs and end up with somethin other than a purebred pit. Purebred pits are sweet and docile animals. Remeber Pete on the Little Rascals? THAT was a purebred pit. Interbreeding brings out the worst traits in dogs frequently. That and people raise them to be mean. Couple an interbred dog that's also raised to fight and you gotta problem on your hands.

I would probalby get a hold of a dog trainer. We had one come to our house and it was about $65 and he was here about 2 hours. They may have some good techniques to help you introduce the dogs and help you train them.

Good Luck.

I have three Border Collies and my wife worked at a shelter so please consider my advice coming from a person with good experience with dogs. It's going to take A LOT of work to assimilate that dog into your already present pack. There's going to be a lot of major obstacles on the way so be ready. As for having that dog around kids, no way man I wouldn't risk it.

IMO I'd get rid of it. It's good people like you that end up with a mauled child... or worse. Why put yourself through all this trouble when you've got so much going on already. Don't let your sympathy for this dog get in the way of safety for your family.

You're absolutely right. Pits have gotten a bad rap. The problem is, people interbreed them with other dogs and end up with somethin other than a purebred pit. Purebred pits are sweet and docile animals. Remeber Pete on the Little Rascals? THAT was a purebred pit. Interbreeding brings out the worst traits in dogs frequently. That and people raise them to be mean. Couple an interbred dog that's also raised to fight and you gotta problem on your hands.

Good point!!!!! Even the supposed pure bred Pit's are horrible quality because of the type of dogs that are bred for pure aggression.

It's a tough call. I don't have direct experience with Pits. I have friends who have them and they run the gamut from best baby sitter in the world to hell no. Most of my experience is with shepards (German and Dutch). They were bred for a different purpose.
I think the key here is the fact that dogs are bred for a purpose.
Think of it this way,
A Rottie would look really silly in Paris Hilton's purse,
and a Chihuahau would get it's butt kicked across a parking lot protecting your yard.

4flats, I have personally seen a Pit turn on a friend of mine, and I saw that dog raised from a puppy and it was definitely babied, not abused. The dog had to be put down. I also have a nephew who had a pit that had to be put down for biting a neighbors kid unprovoked. Do pits have a "bad rap", hell yes and rightly so. Not to say they are all bad as most of the comments so far I can mostly agree with, some are great dogs in the right environment.... I guess the breeding thing has a lot to do with it but do you know the dogs breeding history? Just my opinion there is no way in hell I would take a chance with my kids, I have seen/heard too many horror stories. FWIW... Good luck whatever you decide.

Thanks everybody. I know these dogs have lovers and haters and not much in between. I'm leaning towards getting rid of her, but I can't bear the thought of her (or any dog) ending up in a fight pit. Best thing may be to put her down myself so it will be quick. Don't know, lots to think about. Thanks Matt and April for the links.

We have owned a female pit bull for 10 yrs..got her out of the animal shelter,,..she has never shown any aggresion toward our other dogs....she loves to play with the cats...

she has been sick of late....dont think she is going to be with us much longer....

Attachments

• Picture 272a.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 131
Thanks everybody. I know these dogs have lovers and haters and not much in between. I'm leaning towards getting rid of her, but I can't bear the thought of her (or any dog) ending up in a fight pit. Best thing may be to put her down myself so it will be quick. Don't know, lots to think about. Thanks Matt and April for the links.

Before you go thinking about putting her down, get in touch with a Pit Rescue Group. You don't have to keep her, but you don't have to kill her, either.

Come to think of it, I said that about my first wife, also.

well, not all women are ladies and not all pit bills are sweethearts but if your values care more towards a dog you know nothing about for its first year during its upbringing and you feel your children need another animal then how about a couple a goats and some sheep :)

As with any dog it will take time to join your "pack" (family). I'd be really careful with your kids around her for a while. Not because she's a pit, just because shes getting acclimated. She needs time to learn her family/pack to know that little kids aren't toys or treats.

-
Back