Need quick answer on lifter crossover tube!!

-

zinser72

Reaction score
im building my 318 up and putting the lifter crossover tube in it. i did all the other mods but was just wondering if it was absolutely critical which way the tube went as long as it linked the two gallies together. all the pics ive seen go from back of right galley to front of left. i have 3/8 NPT to -6 AN fittings but it doesnt look like they will fit between the head oiling passage and the lifter bore. can i put the crossover from front of right galley to back of left?? trying to get the block to the machine shop tomorrow, thanks

do i need 3/8 NPT or could i get away with 1/4 NPT to -6 AN adapter? if so i could fit it in the traditional place i think

You need to use 1/8 npt-27 with a 11/32 drill bit. The tube can only go one way. Just behind #4 cam bearing seat and in front of #2 cam bearing seat. The oil galley on the right side has to have a plug installed behind the cam plate to block the feed to the front main bearing. The front main will now be oiled from the left galley. You can also drill one of your cam plate bolts with a 1/8" drill bit (all the way through) and install it in the top right side of the cam plate. This will help drain oil out of the galley and provides oil to the timing chain.

The short answer is yes, the angles and placement are critical for it to be effective.

Got pics ? This tube is something I've never heard of before. Just curious

-
Back