Need quick rundown 5.7 hemi apart

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Tomorrow morn I'm sposed to look at a dissasembled 5.7, "fairly complete." He claims he doesn't remember what was wrong possibly a rod noisy, ended up putting another used engine in the truck

So this is torn down. I don't know for sure what his engine skills are, I don't know if I'm bein' played

1.......What do I look for other than usual? These prone to any cracking, etc, or other "5.7 specific" problems?

2......If I buy this what is "different" about these? I know you need new head bolts, EG, if this turns out to be an "easy" overhaul what about does a gasket kit cost?

3......This is claimed less than 140K miles. He wants 300. Sound like ex manifolds might be gone. He says injectors are there but was unsure of the intake. So it might be. He states its a core
This a good price? "Around here" it seems to me it is.

Price is about right for a disassembled core. From what I've seen, bent rods from hydraulic lock and burnt cranks from spun bearings seem to be the 2 major issues. You're not going to be looking at anything really any different than any other disassembled engine, IMHO...

Check the valve seats. When these engines get overheated, the aluminum expands and can drop the valve seats out and cause failure. Just one thing to check out.

Apparently piston and/or rod failure is fairly common. My brother bought a 5.7 Hemi for his Warlock and got it cheap because it had a bad plug and the guy scavenged another for his other 5.7. I'm not sure how they fail, but apparently they do. I googled 5.7 Hemi piston and got a whole lot of info popping up.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize these had so many inherent problems. Hope to be looking at it a little later. I may pass, as it's a big change and a big project away from an LA

For that price, I would jump right on it in a heartbeat. There are not a lot of problems with the Hemi. It is just that there are so many of them out there, there are some issues with some poorly maintained/over-revved/abused motors.
Remember that people don't post on the internet when there engine is running fine and never have an issue. They only post issues of negative, looking for help.

If you look at it like a 1200hp capable block for $300, then it makes sense. If you're looking at it as, what can I do to make this a perfectly running engine for a $1000 investment, don't kid yourself. Either plan on a complete rebuild with machine work or pass.

It takes very little to turn out a lot of power. I think just a cam and a stroker kit, which takes the bad pistons and rods out of the equation, puts it at around 650 hp. Lots of available power in these motors. Here is the motor test fit in his Warlock.

View attachment Warlock Hemi.jpg

Here it is test fitted in a 1970 Dart with the HDK front suspension and K-Frame set up.

attachment.php

Well I bought it, good or bad. 2 bad journels. No intake. They had bought a low miles used engine from a junkyard, the intake had been sold off it. "We'll see" if this was a wise move, or not. Water pump and belt drive stuff are not there.

This all in all was a busy, tiring, not very productive morning. The pickup is outside with an empty trailer. Looked at a Valiant that turned out not be worth it at any price, and a 4 dr 67 that turns out to be a 68 that was REALLY not worth it at any price. You have to understand that I'm running out of room, so I might be getting a little more picky, LOL

Thanks for the comments

Attachments

• _MG_7398cs.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 298
  • _MG_7399cs.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 278
  • _MG_7400cs.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 282
  • _MG_7401cs.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 304
Looks like the 'typical' abused and trashed 5.7Hemi that most truck owners are so ignorant about when it comes to normal maintenance, visible by the black and burned oil soot on the internal engine parts.

These modern engines are a lot more delicate and sensitive to proper operating temps and fluids.

On the head picture, check for missing intake valveseats in the center 2 cylinders because both intake valves seem to sit real low.

Looks like the 'typical' abused and trashed 5.7Hemi that most truck owners are so ignorant about when it comes to normal maintenance, visible by the black and burned oil soot on the internal engine parts.

These modern engines are a lot more delicate and sensitive to proper operating temps and fluids.

On the head picture, check for missing intake valveseats in the center 2 cylinders because both intake valves seem to sit real low.

Thanks that may be an illusion. The "improved" software for this site really screws up photos. I looked at them pretty close---at least without removing the valves. Hope this wasn't a huge waste

Today was a tiring day, and I now longer have the energy I did just 2-3 years ago

Be very careful with those rods if you want to reuse them. They are a cracked cap design and if you leave the caps loose they can wear and not seat back together correctly. Looks like the bolts on them are loose in your last picture, so I'd at least do them up finger tight to keep the caps from separating until you're ready to work on them.

Minor update, made TWO round trips to Spokane today, involving buying a beater 97 Dodge 1500, and also picked up this hemi intake and computer for..............FIFTY BUCKS

2h6fxwz.jpg

Yup. Good day, but DAMN this ol guy is beat!!! About 5:30PM here and I feel like I could drop off and sleep all night!!

Sposed to be an '06. The engine I bought has no intake, so that is the main thing

-
Back