Need some advice about a potential 69 Barracuda purchase

-

69CudaFan

Reaction score
I am currently looking at two Barracuda notchbacks, and I need some opinions.

The first one is located about 1 1/2 hours from me. Went to see it yesterday in person.

Fender tag:

L31 M21 R11 V6X END

A01 A04 A15 C11 C33 J25

B3 B3 H4B B5 222 215194

E44 D31 BH23 F9B 301557

The good:
All original, been in Cali its entire life (original black plate car).
Trim pieces are all there and in very good shape, grills are perfect.
Car starts right up and runs well
brakes recently serveiced (even though it is drums all around)
new bushings/serviced front end (old ones were dry rotted)
new gas tank
68000 miles (looks to be accurate)
asking price is $4500 (only has an offer for $3400 currently)

The bad:
Needs paint (repainted white over original blue)
rust in the usual places (rockers have two holes justs behind the doors)
surface rust in places where paint is thin along edges
rust along the bottom of the back window and along the underside of the trunk lid.
needs an interior (has a good replacement dash pad, but pretty much needs everything else.
Transmission slips, so much that he thinks it may be tough to trailer under its own power if the angle is too steep.
two slashed tires (he does not live in the best apt complex, and the car has not been registered for the road since 2005)
dented back bumper

The guy who has an offer in is not a Mopar guy, and the car is for his daughter. He apparently buys his children classic cars, and then he has freinds that does the work. One has a Chevelle, the other a Mustang. His daughter seems excited about this car (according to the guy selling it)

The other one is a notchback further away (almost looks in pictures like a carbon copy of the other car), and this is an excerpt from his e-mail:

G15 M21 V7W END
B5 B5 H4B B5 905 069091
E44 D21 BH23 F9B 128384

VIN BH23F9B128384

The clutch is a Borg Warner, power pack with clutch-pressure plate and throw out bearing. I will try and get pics with the Hurst name on trans underneath for you too.

No major rust, no major body damage, no known or noted previous accidents. This car came from factory with A HURST 4 SPEED TRANNY, A HURST 4 SPEED SHIFTER and factory 8 3/4 rear end. The car currently has a rebuilt 318, 4 barrel holley, new starter, new water pump, new radiator, new hoses, new belts, new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. new u joints, re-manufactored and balanced driveshaft, dual exhaust, very strong.

Guy says there are no issues driving it from where he is at back to my house. "Fly in and drive it home".

Think I can get this one for about $7500.

Looking for a solid fun driver/project to upgrade over time.

Need some sensible folks removed from the situation to provide opinions and recommendations. I appreciate the feedback and value the opinions of members of this board.

I'll be honest.

First, if you can get a picture of this car, that would help alot. More pictures the merry. But I would demand new tires reguardless and without a price increase or get the difference in the price. I do this if the case arises and then drive right down to the tire shop and get new sneakers for the ride.

2nd; The price seems good if the car is nice shape.

3rd; No one is gonna be happier than you once you have the car you want in your driveway. If you feel that you can afford the car and you are OK with spending that money on it, then go for it. All things be damned when it comes to your happness on the car.

4; Any guarrenty (SP!) with this. As if you actually do drive it home and it breaks down before hand?

However, if your looking to flip the car for cash, restore to resell, this is a grey area and pictures would be required as to how well it could go for you as well as the market these days.

Truly, the bottom line comes from within you.

I'll hand the mic & stand over to those who know better about these things.

Unless you have all the tools,shop ,equipment,ability, and enjoy rust repair, body work and paint, the second car may be your better bet. Unique to have orderd a 4 spd and 8-3/4 behind a teen. You would have these allready installed if you decide to turn up the wick. This is just my way of thinking, when I purchessed my cuda, good body and paint, and I can handle the rest. And I`ve been enjoying the car for 12 years, and previous body paint, finally needs attention. I would get under either car and inspect before dropping the bundle, You know the drill8)

Here are the rougher spots from the first car. The hit to the rear is concerning, but he does have a replacement trunk trim panel that is in really good shape. Still waiting for photos for the 4 speed car. The first one originally was B3 blue, the other supposedly B5 blue (I think).

The trim is removed to show the rust underneath at the base of the window. That rocker is from the drivers side, the passenger side looks pretty much the same. Underneath the car looks solid....

PIC-0238.jpg

PIC-0242.jpg

PIC-0243.jpg

PIC-0244.jpg

That's a low rust issue. How about the whole car? Engine bay and interior?

So far, it seems to be getting steeper in price since the paint is in bad shape.

As I said, it is a Cali car, been in Cali its whole life.

The engine bay still has the original from the two barrel carb and exhaust manifolds the only upgrade is the Mopar electronic ignition conversion from what I can tell. It fired right up (he had to jump due to a weak battery) and ran quickly until he kicked it down once it was warmer. There was seemingly a little valve tick coming from the driver's side that was pretty mild. Interor is original as well but needs to be replaced. The headliner is split along the seams, the back seat is cracked from sun exposure as well as the dash pad. He has a newer one in the trunk with a small (1 inch) crack that he picked up from a swap meet with the tail panel. Bench seat in front, carpet is in decent shape, and radio was missing (guy said he has it, but it may be at his ex-wifes house).

Underside the car looks pretty good. Exhaust does not have a leak, and brakes were recently serviced. Not sure what the tranny issue is, but he says it began slipping after he bought it, but it has gotten progressively worse to the point he parked it (he said two years ago, but the car was last registered in 2005). Trunk is solid maybe a little thin where the spare tire is, but no holes. Those pictures were taken by him, and are not the best. I only took a pic of the fender tag on my phone.

Interior, cracked and rough. Most everything needs some love. carpet is decent, but dash pad and back seat are cracked from exposure. Newer dash pad in the trunk in MUCH better shape. Headliner split along the seams. Light blue interior appears to be the original.

Engine bay, solid. Original save for the mopar electronic ignition conversion kit. fired up and had a small tick from the drivers side. original from the 2 barrel to the manifolds from what i could tell. Ran seemingly well. New fuel tank.

underside was good could still see the original light blue paint, no exhaust leaks, and brakes were decent. According to the guy it belonged to a woman who parked it for about 20 years until he found it about 6 years ago.

He was asking $4500. Thinking about $3700 which is taking into account the two tire and the tranny...there is another offer for $3400 from the guy who wants it for his daughter. The guy stated he liked the fact that I was a "Mopar guy", but we all know money talks.

Update,

The other 69 notchback I was looking at with the 4 speed and 8.75 rear was ALOT rougher than I thought it was going to be. I have a couple of pics

100_1728.jpg

100_1723.jpg

100_1706.jpg

100_1705_00.jpg

100_1700.jpg

-
Back