need some help from the masters :notworth:

-

Gnome

Reaction score
ok so i have a 360 in my ramcharger.

i want to seal it up...but while its out of the engine bay i have a set of 340 63cc j-heads (machined down) and a purple cam i want to throw into it while its out.

i also have a edelbrock LD4B intake already on it. will that intake work with that setup. or is the setup crap?

opinions and info please

thanks in advance

Gary

I think you are going to lose everything you are trying to gain with that intake. Lots of people looking for them, since they have the smaller runners that a 273/318 needs.

Get yourself and LD340, or something similar of later vintage like an M-1 dual plane.

The LD4B will work fine. If you have it run it.

I agree with carackedback on the intake, but have a question regarding your cam choice.
Which Purple cam are you talking about (duration/lift)? That 360 has very low compression and even with machined heads it won't be great. That RC is heavy and needs a lot of low end torque just to get moving. With your tire size if you have 3.23 or 3.55 gears a 284 degree cam will make it a real slug.

My '87 has the Comp XE262 with 901-16 springs, Performer 318, and pretty much stock factory everything else. I wouldn't use an MP cam myself but if it's small and you have it... Otherwise, it's a truck. I don't think Mine's seen the high side of 4K rpm in 5 years. It's basically idle to 3500, and the intake is fine for that.

Edit- it's an 87 360....

The LD4B will work fine. If you have it run it.

With J heads? Really? I guess that the definition of "work" is relative. Oh heck yeah, it will work, but why bother with what he is doing then?

It is a 4 barrel intake for an LA motor, as long as it doesn't leak air or water, it will work. But why mill the heads down to 63 cc and put in a purple cam, with a 318 intake? The bigger ones for the larger ports are much more readily available.

I used the 318 performer on my 360 for torque and milage. Works fine, and as I said, the truck doesnt go over 4K.... It's not like it's missing much for top end...lol.

I'd run any OEM 340 or 360 four barrel intake. It would be better. But like above, I'm sure it will work.

I'd run any OEM 340 or 360 four barrel intake. It would be better. But like above, I'm sure it will work.

Well said, I agree. Why run mismatched stuff if you don't have to, and already have it apart. Especially with 318 people having a hard time finding that intake.

With J heads? Really? I guess that the definition of "work" is relative. Oh heck yeah, it will work, but why bother with what he is doing then?

Yes the LD4b is actually a VERY stout intake and would work just fine in a heavy 4wd vehicle with J, X, rhs or ede's. Essentially, IMO, searching out a different intake is a waste of time, money and resources.

The guy asked for opinions and I gave mine.

There are a few that have gone mid 11's on 340-360's with an LD4b with not much in the way of camshaft. It's a good piece. I thought I laid that out in response to the PM you sent me a few hours ago. I don't feel offended because there is a contradictory opinion in the thread.

Is that better? no need to respond it was rhetorical....

I'm done. Have a good one all

I agree with carackedback on the intake, but have a question regarding your cam choice.
Which Purple cam are you talking about (duration/lift)? That 360 has very low compression and even with machined heads it won't be great. That RC is heavy and needs a lot of low end torque just to get moving. With your tire size if you have 3.23 or 3.55 gears a 284 degree cam will make it a real slug.

i intend on putting 4.56 gears in it..they have 3.55 on 35-12.50- 15 but may drop the tires size to 33's

the cam is a 268/272duration and .455lift

My '87 has the Comp XE262 with 901-16 springs, Performer 318, and pretty much stock factory everything else. I wouldn't use an MP cam myself but if it's small and you have it... Otherwise, it's a truck. I don't think Mine's seen the high side of 4K rpm in 5 years. It's basically idle to 3500, and the intake is fine for that.

Edit- it's an 87 360....

thanks for the info it helps trust me...lol

i have the LD4b on the truck already running and would have to look for another intake which i was thinking anyway

Yes the LD4b is actually a VERY stout intake and would work just fine in a heavy 4wd vehicle with J, X, rhs or ede's. Essentially, IMO, searching out a different intake is a waste of time, money and resources.

The guy asked for opinions and I gave mine.

There are a few that have gone mid 11's on 340-360's with an LD4b with not much in the way of camshaft. It's a good piece. I thought I laid that out in response to the PM you sent me a few hours ago. I don't feel offended because there is a contradictory opinion in the thread.

Is that better? no need to respond it was rhetorical....

I'm done. Have a good one all

still i am replying...lol thank you sir for the info trust me any info helps.

even though i am an ASE master tech i just really know stock stuff or what i need to know to get the job done. i have limited experience with working on anything performance wise that wasn't bolt on. so i thank you for your input.

-
Back