Need some Help with a hacked together steering column

-

jefflock

69 Dart 408 10.08 best pass so far
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My steering column has apparently been lengthened by a previous owner. They used a spacer made from pipe and welded it after cutting the shaft.
Does any one know what the correct length of the shaft is for a non power steering Dart?? We are working on a 68 Dart. I pulled the column and cut the spacer to see what was up. The spacer was hitting my headers.
What can I do to correct this problem???? Jeff

Rough measure on mine is 41 inches end to end on the shaft. 1971 Dart column manual steering. Rough measurement as the shaft is still in the column. If it comes down to it I will remove it from the column for a more accurate measurement. My first guess on correcting your column would be to replace the shaft with one the correct length. I have one extra floor shift column for a 71 dart. I'm sure the length is the same between the two but I'm not sure about differences in diameter.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=229056&highlight=Steering+shaft+length

An a-body manual steering shaft is ~40.6" end to end without the coupler.

I have another shaft and from what I remember it is around 40 to 41". What about the bearings? Are they available??

Thanks to all of you for your help. I've it figured out now. Ordered a U-Joint from Speedway today to do away with the factory coupling.

Any one know what the spline size is on the steering box? 3/4 X 36 or 13/16 X 36
On a 68 Dart

If my memory serves.. the smaller diameter, both manual and power boxes.

Mine are 3/4-36. I've heard some of the later manual boxes off of vans etc. had a larger spline, but I can't confirm that.

-
Back