Need some help!

-

JulianMopar

Reaction score
So.. my front disc brakes are done and I need to replace them. The thing is, I have a 1970 Dart 4 door. I did some research and I found out there were no disc brakes standard on 1970 a-body's. They were on the car when I bought it so I don't know what kind of brakes are on it. I assume they are from a 1973-up A,B,E or F-Body. Is this right??

I want to replace them with Wilwoods. Any advice?

How do I find out what's on the car now?

Thanks! (Just asking to be sure)

The car was originaly build or at least from Switzerland.

Last edited:
Best advice is to post pictures of the brakes, calipers, brackets, and rotors so that someone can identify what you have.

Best advice is to post pictures of the brakes, calipers, brackets, and rotors so that someone can identify what you have.
Yeah I thought of that, only right now I can't get to my car :(

I will try and post them asap, maybe tomorrow. Thanks 4 the advice.

4 piston would be early discs, single piston would be later 73-up disc ( easily upgraded with larger rotors and a caliper bracket change )

Is there anybody who can identify these? :)

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-31 at 21.29.52(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-31 at 21.29.52(2).jpeg

Ok, and what does that mean? I would like to replace them with brand new disc brakes, any suggestions? Thanks

The parts are available to repair if you want. New rotors, and the calipers can be rebuilt.
I just replaced my 10 inch drums with these stock optioned K/H disks.

Many other aftermarket ones on the market but I have no experience with any others. All depends on what you want to do with the car.

The parts are available to repair if you want. New rotors, and the calipers can be rebuilt.
I just replaced my 10 inch drums with these stock optioned K/H disks.

Many other aftermarket ones on the market but I have no experience with any others. All depends on what you want to do with the car.

I want brand new disc brakes on the spindles, wilwood or a good alternative. Thanks (By the way I am Dutch so my understanding of english is not that good :))

I want brand new disc brakes on the spindles, wilwood or a good alternative. Thanks (By the way I am Dutch so my understanding of english is not that good :))
Some one with opinions on the new kits should respond soon. Good Luck.

(My Great Grandfather came from Wissenkerke with two brothers when they were young. )

So now I am wondering if the spindles for the Kelsey-Hayes are the same as for the drum brakes... Is there a difference between the Kelsey-hayes, 9" and 10" drum brake spindles? Or is it all the same spindle? Any other parts I have to think of to replace?

AndyF may have made an adapter for the Wilwoods to the factory 4-piston caliper spindles. Wilwood came out with 'street' 4-piston aluminum caliper a couple years ago. Main difference is sealing. If Andy has already made drawings, you might be able to get the dimensions from him since I don't think he's selling those adapters. Sear for AR engineering and/or AndyF over in moparts.com forum amongst other places.

The advantage of switching would be weight savings. Otherwise, really nothing. The 4-piston kelsey calipers are a very decent option. They are almost the same as used on Ford Mustangs and some Corvettes of the era. So pistons, seals, and pads are available. Good rotors are more scarce, and they are Chrysler only due to the small bolt pattern.

Pad type is D11. Many choices available.
Stainless steel pistons are available and worth it if the car sees moisture. The chrome on replacement pistons seems to be less consistant than factory.

So now I am wondering if the spindles for the Kelsey-Hayes are the same as for the drum brakes... Is there a difference between the Kelsey-hayes, 9" and 10" drum brake spindles? Or is it all the same spindle? Any other parts I have to think of to replace?

All of the 3 spindles that you mentioned, are different from one another.
They are unique to each drum brake size, and then for disc brakes.
Kelsey Hayes disc brake spindles, ARE NOT the same for either of the drum brake diameters.
A totally different design.

and most, if not all, of the conversion kits are based on one of the drum brake spindles.

Really shouldn't. Unless you have some specific need, rebuilding the Kelsey Hayes calipers is a good option and far less expensive. Spend the money saved on good pads

Really shouldn't. Unless you have some specific need, rebuilding the Kelsey Hayes calipers is a good option and far less expensive. Spend the money saved on good pads
Well... the thing is I really really want another bolt pattern, and if I am not mistaken, the HK is only in 5x4. And the rotors ain't that good anymore. Also I use my car as a daily driver with 2 young kids and they have to be save in the car too. But thanks for the suggestion.

I guess I have to go and find me some '73 disc brake spindles or '70 drum brake spindles. Any more parts needed?

I guess I have to go and find me some '73 disc brake spindles or '70 drum brake spindles.

I have disc brake spindles.
In the "for sale" section of the forum.

-
Back