Need some suspension help and guidance ( pivot shaft removal )

-

68 CUDA FORMULA S

Reaction score
Since I decided to keep the Barracuda I want to change the lower control arm bushings, weld on the stiffening plates, I have ordered new 1.03 torsion bars from PST. After all this is done I want to convert it over to disc brakes but keep the small bolt pattern so I can still use my rallies. The problem that I am having right now is that I can't seem to get the drivers side lower control arm off, can't move the pivot shaft. I have tried heat, PB blaster, prying with the big pry bar and nothing. The passenger side came right apart for me no problems, has anyone come across this problem before? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks
Bob

Tried more than a little heat, I could have made a pizza as hot as it was. Didn't have Big Ben had Big Birtha instead. I think I am just going to use my cut off wheel and cut the torsion bar in half then hammer it out the back and pull whats left out of the back side of the pivot. I have a big C clamp that I am going to try and set up with the pivot shaft and use some pressure then add some more heat and bring Big Bertha out again. Stay tuned for up-dates tomorrow.

You DID remove the T bar clip in the rear? I doubt the T bar is holding it but you might try a big-*** drift and hammer and drive the T bar FORWARD. If it's stuck that might break the bond.

How big is your pry bar?

You DID remove the T bar clip in the rear? I doubt the T bar is holding it but you might try a big-*** drift and hammer and drive the T bar FORWARD. If it's stuck that might break the bond.

How big is your pry bar?

Maybe use a T-bar removal tool. I made mine from a big piece of angle and several 1 inch U-bolts. You can buy one too.

The pivot shaft out of the K frame, yes the T bar clip has been removed, I cleaned all the under coating out of the rear of the T bar housings both passenger side and drivers side and the passenger side came right apart for me no problems, and I did heat up the rear of the T bar in the back housing and tried smacking it forward, the T bar did moved a little bit. The pry bar that I am using is about 3 feet long. I am going up to the shop today to get a small pneumatic jack hammer, probably will destroy the pivot shaft but it is coming out one way or the other. Just a little strange that one side would come right apart and the other side won't, it's just reminding me how much fun it is to work on these old cars. I will get it, stay tuned.

I did a "Search" on here. Torsion bar removal tool...
This is how I got mine out. There's a bunch of home made ones that people on FABO made.
I made mine at work. I'm thinking that swinging a BFH at this, there is less chance of a glancing blow f***ing something else up. I'm not an expert, I just learn from my mistakes.
Good luck.

Success all done, having the right tools really does help sometimes. Turns out that the torsion bar was stuck in the back housing, I had to cut the torsion bar in half then the pivot shaft came right out then I used the pneumatic jack hammer to drive the torsion bar from the back of the housing through the front. Hammer worked like a charm. Now to blast everything, get the bushings changed, get everything painted and ready to go back on, new parts will be here next week.
Thanks to all who chimed in
Bob

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

I had a chance to get some of the parts blasted and ready for paint, and removed the old control arm bushings. Now I just need to wait for the new torsion bars and the stiffening plates from PST. Should see them by Friday of next week, hope to have it put back together next weekend. Still haven't decided on the disc brake conversion yet, I talked with Cass at Dr. Diff and he only carries the large bolt pattern stuff. I will think about it for a while maybe I will just change over to LBP and look for a 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 posi LBP rear end.
Bob

006.JPG

007.JPG

-
Back