need some torsion bar help...

-

95teetee

Reaction score
hey all- trying to understand the way the torsion bar mounts in the crossmember ('73 Scamp). The rusty crossmember busted and the back end of the pass. side torsion bar isn't really torsioned anymore. Or attached, for that matter:(.
I've never worked on a torsion bar setup despite many years of Scamp/Duster ownership and I'm trying to understand this.
(the car is at my brother's place, so I can't take a look to see how it works)
I was looking on autorust tech and found this (I also noticed that BadArt posted a link to the exact same unit in another thread):
01r-f1-01.png

On another thread I saw pictures of torsion bars, and I see that the back end is hex-shaped (?)
I can't figure out how the A.R.T. part fixes the problem and re-mounts the t-bar (seeing as how it just has a round hole where the bar mounts)
Can somebody explain what I'm missing here?
TIA

your old torshion bar socket twisted in the rusted out cross frame. that is a repair frame piece. ypu can buy one or cut plate and make your own patches to fix it.not that hard if you know how to cut and weld thin metal. if not you will just have to pay some body to do it

I have a torsion bar x-member from an A body.

It was cut out with a sawsall, missing the tabs to attach to the rockers. You could section it for any repair pieces/patches.

$55 + shipping

I have a torsion bar x-member from an A body.

It was cut out with a sawsall, missing the tabs to attach to the rockers. You could section it for any repair pieces/patches.

$55 + shipping
thanks for the offer, but we have a bunch of parts cars to work with (although it might be easier to take you up on it than to pull another- I'll keep it in mind

one more item. if one side went the outher side is probably right behind it.
already thought about that- I'm figuring on reinforcing the other side while we're at it.
the hex part is missing from that piece.
so there should be a hex-shaped socket that runs lengthwise through the x-member where the large hole is, I'm assuming? It's probably still on the t-bar, I wonder if it's salvagable...

thanks guys

edit-looks like the piece from A.R.T. is more for before this happens than for after it happens...

yes the socket will most likely be good.if you take a crossmember from anouther car it will have the socket in it.its easier to cut a piece of plate and drill a big hole in it and weld it on to the old crossmember if you have good metal.

yes the socket will most likely be good.if you take a crossmember from anouther car it will have the socket in it.its easier to cut a piece of plate and drill a big hole in it and weld it on to the old crossmember if you have good metal.
the way you describe it the repair doesn't sound as bad as I originally feared- thanks cudaman

I was wondering if anyone had a front crossmember for a 76 duster? Restoring a 76 space duster and it would save alot of time if i had a crossmember.

-
Back