need suggestions on harmonic balancer

-

duster731

young gun
Reaction score
Well I need a new harmonic for my 318 I stripped the holes on my stock one.

I am looking for a decent but cheap (under 130 $) in a chrome/polish finish..

I have found one on ebay called prw for 90$ and Summit has one that's sfi approved for 143 $ but I'm not sure if I want to spend that much if there are better options out there. Any suggestions? Thanks. Ps its for a 77 318 engine internally all stock parts

Buy an SFI approved in the cheaper lines. Otherwise you're rolling the dice. I won a few rolls - Once I lost a roll and a customer's engine I decided I didn't like the risk. Save up a couple more weeks and buy an SFI one.

my personal experience with that balancer is not good...the outer ring slipped within a year of use...

Yoy know what cracked I never had a problem with my stock one so I will take you up on that offer.. lol

What is particularly wrong with a new stock balancer on a mild 318, just asking?

I don't think I would use a balancer with an inertia ring when the fluid types are so affordable now.

What is particularly wrong with a new stock balancer on a mild 318, just asking?

I realize that "new" does not often correlate to "good", but how long ago do you think a "new" balancer, say from Oreily's, was manufactured?

Were the quality controls any different 20-30 years ago?
I was shopping for my '74 318 build and came across this thought..

How good, or what were the parameter differences of a stock over an "enhanced" version?

Would a stock "new" one be better than the original that doesn't look too bad, altho one can see fine age/cracking lines in the rubber ring...?

Pioneer makes a sfi approved one that is what I think summit sells I brought mine from Car Quest .

Summit dampers are junk, slip all the time. Same as Professional Products ie Chinese. Pioneer would be my pick.

I have a new mopar balancer 318/340. Usable on either years 4 timing marks. Bought it years ago and its been sitting here. $50.00 shipped

Interesting positions from a variety of insights...[here]

I ended up getting the free one from rob.. heck why not, my stock one worked just fine..

Now I can move on and buy more parts

I realize that "new" does not often correlate to "good", but how long ago do you think a "new" balancer, say from Oreily's, was manufactured?
All depends on who makes it. Pretty much everything is offshore now. It's either China or India. The problem is the rubber and polymers that they use are not as good as what used to be used in domestically produced replacement parts. Have you run an aftermarket engine mount, or replaced the upper control arm bushings with replacements in a kit or from a parts store? They wear out MUCH faster because the rubber is not as good.

Were the quality controls any different 20-30 years ago?
I was shopping for my '74 318 build and came across this thought..
I don;t think QC was much "better" per se... But I am sure the materials were better. Overseas is predominantly recycled - steel, paper, cardboard, rubber... On top of that the other components - adhesives, checmicals, etc are not as consistent because of lax regulations and industry controls overseas.

How good, or what were the parameter differences of a stock over an "enhanced" version?

In terms of my recommendation - and SFI approval sticker means they are liable if it fails. It's ther eason they are inspected closer. Not made much better but they weed out more of the "acceptible failures".

Would a stock "new" one be better than the original that doesn't look too bad, altho one can see fine age/cracking lines in the rubber ring...?In my opinion - no. Not for stock, low rpm, low power applications. I'd rather have a 30yr old one that's in good shape.

Balancer on the way. :thumblef:

Might have it tomorrow.

-
Back