Need timing help

-

71valiant

Make fast, break, repeat.
Reaction score
I picked up a 68 Valiant with a 225 Saturday. I've been out of the game for awhile. I noticed the timing tab only has a hole in it for 0 setting. The notch in the dampener with the timing light on it sits about three inches to the left of the 0 at idle. These need to be lined up at idle correct? The car has been equipped with electronic ignition fyi.

If the hole you mention is more like a little piece of tubing it is was a holder for the special timing pick up on a diagnostic machine. You should have a timing scale there somewhere also. Maybe whoever installed a later model engine left the timing scale off,
but no the mark shouldn't line up with the hole with your timing light.

Had to scrape off the tab. I found the marks. Where exactly does the mark on the crank need to be *degree* on the tab at idle? I keep getting a rough idle and an intermittent ping from the exhaust.

With spark advance disconnected and plugged. 6 to 10 degrees before top dead center.

Yes, the marks to align with are on the lower part of the tab since the crank turns cw (viewed from the front). Many people increase the timing to ~20 deg BTDC. That can give better gas mileage and performance. With your improved ignition, you might be able to run a leaner idle mixture and increased timing. To measure greater than the 10 deg mark on the tab, you need an adjustable timing light. I got a digital one recently for ~$25, either ebay or Amazon (forgot). If you have an MSD ignition, that messes up some timing lights.

It has a Petronix setup. I set the timing at close to 10*. But I still keep getting the ping. I put a screwdriver on one of the header tubes and it definitely coming from the exhaust valve. Valve lash maybe need set?

-
Back