Need tips for headliner install

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey all. My 71 Swinger 2dr got a new headliner for Christmas. I will be installing it soon. I will do the work myself and just wonder if there are any secrets that I should know about. Like what tools should I use? any tips on pulling it tight? Where to start, front, back or center and work out? You know all the things a guy needs to know before getting started. Thanks for all the help.

there are wires to pull the headliner tight on the rear bow, you start at the front and keeping them in mind work your way to the rear till the wires get hooked on to stretch the headliner then do the sides, then do the last section around the rear window

there is a great beginning to end how-to on headliner this month in Muscle Car Review magazine. about 20 pictures and everything.

might be worth your $5 just to have it nearby.

if you cant find a copy, PM me and i will mail you mine after i read it in the next few days

And I suggest going to a office supply and get a couple-three boxes of the small spring style paper clips(see below). they are invaluable for holding the headliner in place on the sides while fitting it and holds it all in place after you've glued all the edges. They're like having lots of extra fingers helping.

clip.jpg

Hey guys, thanks for the replies and the link. a quick scan an it looks like something I could do. just need to get a few clamps and figure out what to do for insulation (sound deadening) under the headliner.

Use a paint stering stick or a peice of flat wood to push the headliner on to the barbs under the front and rear windsheld gaskets.

I helped a friend install the headliner in his 66 Coronet recently. We started out by putting all the bows in the headliner. You will want to trim the bow pockets in the material with a razor knife so the headliner is not too tight at the sides. Mark your centers on the fabric and on the car(front and rear windows). We started from the rear and worked our way forward inserting the bows in their sockets and clamping the sides. Pull everything tight and clamp it for a mock up to get a feel for how it will fit, then when satisfied, glue and trim. Do the sail panels last. We had trouble getting the headliner to stay fastened to the teeth at the sail panels, so we stretched and glued it with 3M #90 spray adhesive. It worked great. We sprayed the glue on to a paper plate and spread it by hand to be sure we didn't get it on the finished side of the fabric. Take your time and expect some degree of adjusting and re-adjusting. A headliner is a little intimidating, but once you get going, you realize it's fairly easy. Good luck!!:cheers:

If you have the seats removed, cover those anchor points in the floor. They can eat you knees. Good luck

Thanks all for the tips. Redfish, I just removed the seat last night, and I would not have thought about the anchor points, thanks. well one was missing so I had to take it off the parts car and weld it in place.
Can the liner be put in with the rear window in place? I have the windshield out. I know it would be harder to pull tight but the barbs are not covered by the window gasket. any thoughts? Thanks again folks.

yep
Upholstery shops replaced head linners with the glasses in place. The trick is in the tools, angled nose hemostsats ( spelt ). Pull the rubber gasket down and place the headlinner on the stakes with the tool.

-
Back