Need tips to sell 76 duster

-

Valveguy

Reaction score
Guys, in your opinions, what is the best way to sell a classic car? I need the money to buy another car but I don't want to "give the car away." This particular Duster has an excellent interior but also has thew usual rust areas. I, of course, will advertise here on this site but are there other places out there other than EBay or is that going to be my only other option? My problem with ebay is that I hardly ever see anyone sell a car for what it is worth. Please steer me in the right direction. p.s. I will still have a 74 duster & 72 demon THAT I WILL NEVER PART WITH. Many thanks to you all!

If you really want selling tips (perhaps pricing tips as well), you should place several shots showing off the entire car on site hosting service (like Photbucket) and post the link so we can access the Duster. As for locations where to advertise it (besides eBay), you can post it at Craigslist or KIJI or other national/regional sales forums. I don't know where you are located so I can't be specific. You can also place it on other Mopar forums (FBBO, FEBO, Moparts and other Chrysler specific forums). You can also try racingjunk.com and other general race/auto enthusiasts sites. There really are quite a few. You just need to do some homework and/or supply more info/pics about the car if you want us to help out more.

Guys, in your opinions, what is the best way to sell a classic car? I need the money to buy another car but I don't want to "give the car away." This particular Duster has an excellent interior but also has thew usual rust areas. I, of course, will advertise here on this site but are there other places out there other than EBay or is that going to be my only other option? My problem with ebay is that I hardly ever see anyone sell a car for what it is worth. Please steer me in the right direction. p.s. I will still have a 74 duster & 72 demon THAT I WILL NEVER PART WITH. Many thanks to you all!

Put a FOR SALE sign on it with a brief summary about the car, priced so you can come down to your bottom line. You may find a buyer that way on your day-to-day travels, it has worked for me more than once, but it may take time.

I'd advise against eBay. I've been watching the 75/76 Dusters for a long time (I own a '76) and they just don't bring any money. 74 & earlier is a different story.

My classic car insurance policy states my slant 6 car is worth $5,500 but I'll never get that, unless I total it.

Good luck.

First, clean up what you've got as best you can and keep it that way. You never know who will spot the car at any time. Try attending some major events. Back to the 50's in Minneapolis used to generate some pretty phenomenal sales, maybe try the Car Craft Summer Nationals if you are in that area and can wait till July. These shows usually have some folks walking around looking for their next project, but don't expect ridiculous money either. The economy remains pretty soft and discretionary purchases like a project car remain on the back burner for many.

Show us some pictures!

The best selling help you can do for your car is hands down clean the heck out of it. Degrease the engine bay and engine with elbow grease and plenty of it. Grezze off works excellent! The out side as well and even put some effort into the paint with compound and wax. Clean the bright metal work. And even the trunk! Clean it all, even the stuff you can not normally see when standing next to it. Because you'll be taking pictures there as well.

Where the rust is, take the time to get rid of it. Clean up the area, take the rust off, trim the rust out and shoot it quick with a spray bomb primer.

When you word the ad, think about what your writing. Being that the car is a '76, it lacks luster due to the year, but, it really doesn't lack any abilty to be as nice looking or modify-able as any other year. Make that note for a hot rodder. Include the wieght of the car. Racers love light weight. And note that it can be made lighter easy with removal of A/C, P/S, bumper, hood, fender swaps to fiberglass if need be. It's all out there.

Also a quick note of it's age couple with "Emmissions no longer needed, classic car insurance possible due to age of the car. This makes driving cheap!" A mention of the cars actual gas mileage would be of help as well. Do note the ignition equipment on it. With or without a MSD because if it gets 17 Hwy and theres no MSD, theres more mileage with a MSD.
Fix oil leaks from the engine and trans and rear axle. A quick coating of flat/semi gloss paint n the axles/front end parts will make it look great. DONT OVER SPRAY! People have eyes and some are really really good at spoting this.

Add to the ad, what's new on it and upgraded. Take pictures with the sun behind you just after the sun reachs high in the sky. This limits shadows, which take away from the cars picture. Also, when you shoot the car, put a blank wall behind it. No girls, other vehicles, signs, shops, buildings, tress, etc...

Find a blank wall or open feild with as little colors as you can. This shows off the car rather than what is behind it. Another tip is shooting the car at dusk. Turn on the parking lights, not the head lights. Take care not to catch glare from the lights.

List the cars equipment as stock and anything you upgraded on and to. These upgrades may not add any real extra dollors vs a stock car, but should offer a tweak more intrest because it is something they don't have to add to the car in terms of cost and time. Some people are lame when it comes to car work and will pay someone to add a MSD. Why? IDK, I've been paied to do this before and it'll probably happen again, but if it is there allready, well, that's just one less thing to do and spend money on.

Fluf the car up with words. Adding a possible idea could possibly help someone on the fence about the car. Year be damned.

rumblefish hit the nail on the head with his response. Ill add just a few more things, DONT misspell anything, it makes you look like an moron and, take 5 minutes out of your life and read your ad a few times to make sure there are no mistakes. it sounds stupid but it does aid in selling the car. you might also want to consider making a video of the car running and/or driving if you have the means to. as long as the car runs good it cant hurt. you might also want to write in the add that you would be more than happy to show people the car before they bid, if thats possible for you to do so.

ohh and lastly put a reserve on the car if its going on ebay, unless the car absolutly has to go and/or the money you get for it is not important. you could get unlucky and only get 100 bucks for it if you dont put a reserve.

anyway good luck with your sale.

Guys, in your opinions, what is the best way to sell a classic car?

Ebay world wide best value for your money or Craigslist for free locally

Then

Set the price so your phone starts ringing or your email starts filling up. That's really the only way! Oh yah Barret Jackson Auctions too.

I can't spell!!! But I do have a smart wife! HA ha ha ha

HEY! Where is she...Huuuuuny!

Smart man in asking. I'll bet i've had the longest running ad for a car for sale on FABO(Triple Black Duster) so you could go and look at it and see what NOT to do. Ended up trading for another car. I have another that's been on a while and you could refer to it also and see what not to do, (Small Blocks 74 Gold Duster). Had a good price on it but i've resorted to "Make Offer", Still nothing. I guess i dont have much good advice to offer but i will wish you luck in your efforts.
Small Block

Find a kid around the age of 16, tell them you have a mopar for sale and list your price.. 2500-3000 if its nice, if its rusted out i would say 1200 max.

For god's sake, clean the interior. I cant tell you how many cars I've seen listed for big money that look like a dumpster inside. We don't want to see the empty oil bottles and your gf's bikini top next to the deflated spare tire, or the rusted rallye wheel in the passenger's seat. A vacuum and wet rag are your friends while trying to sell a car. Go easy on the Armor All, too.

do what billy mays used to do and give the buyer a discount on something. whether that be a sticker or a hug it might help the sale.

Show us some pictures!

The best selling help you can do for your car is hands down clean the heck out of it........"

Hey rumblefish, what can I say other than, I think your ideas are truly priceless, Thank You So Much! I have a couple small things to tweak on the car and then I'll list it on this site ASAP.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your welcome, I hope I didn't o overboard and I hope it helps alot.

Tune that baby up and tweak the timing for the driver.

Your welcome, I hope I didn't o overboard and I hope it helps alot.

Not at all, it is all greatly appreciated and has definetly already helped, thank you! I took the car out yesterday and decided to test the mpg and it had 23. The other Duster I have has the clifford set-up and only gets 16 so now I'm starting to doubt myself about which car to sell. The cifford set up definetely has more power but I'm taking a liking to the mpgs on the 76!

-
Back