Need to tap 12 volt

-

Fishthatkills

Fish that kills
Reaction score
Just installed a four barrel carb and need to find a good under hood 12v tap for the electric choke. Want to find one thats only on when the ignition is in run mode. Any good ideas?

Thanks,
John B.

Uh..........well...........the one that's "on in run" is "ignition run" that feeds your coil resistor. In 70/ later cars this feeds the ignition system, the alternator field, the regulator ign terminal, and the electric choke. For many years it's blue

YOU DID NOT MENTION what you are working on?

If you have the 69/ earlier regulator, you can tap right there on the regulator IGN terminal

I ran mine in to the fuse box. Find the one that is for keyed accessory power and plug it on to the spay terminal that sticks out. Thats where I have my tach pluged into as well.

I ran mine in to the fuse box. Find the one that is for keyed accessory power and plug it on to the spay terminal that sticks out. Thats where I have my tach pluged into as well.
How much current does an electric choke need? I have a Super Six conversion with Clifford dual headers, so no choke.
Been looking for a replacement for the Carter BBD that would have an electric choke.
This thing's great after it warms up, but it's a pig until then.
I need something with an electric choke. Someone mentioned a MotorCraft (model 19x?) that might be a good replacement...I don't know.

As it is, only I can drive it when the engine's cold. After that, the wife can drive it all day long-and she loves driving it around town. It's easy to drive, and she likes the attention. Her ability to enjoy the car has a lot to do with what I can do in the future.

Preserving these old beasts is why I'm in this racket. It seems to put a smile on a lot of people's faces...

Ronny

It's a carter AFB in a 67 cuda. Can I tap the +side of the coil? that's on in run correct? and it's right there near the choke!

John B.

No . The ballast resistor lowers the run voltage to the coil. You would need to be on the incoming side of the ballast resistor to get 12 volts. The dark blue at the top of the voltage regulator is a good source.

-
Back