Need To Upgrade TV

-
very first one I clicked on-

50", RCA inputs, 4K, $300

Visio

Robot or human?

It's smart. I think you can get one that's not though if you look for it.

Just buy what you can afford and hook your antenna up.

There are a lot of videos about it.

I can get 31 channels in my area through an antenna. (why am I paying for cable) :BangHead: :BangHead: :lol:

Put your zip code in the boxin the upper right and see how many are available in your area. Free TV Channels by Zip Code
That's about what we get. I know how to do all that. That wasn't what my questions were about. lol But I thank you.

I would not get anything with a refresh rate of less than 240hz. Ste 3 side by side with the same feed in the store, 60hz, 120hz, and 240hz. Watch the picture as the camera pans, lower refresh rate screens look choppy and I can't tolerate them.
I would use the audio line out to the stereo to deliver sound to the room.

That is the extent of my knowledge about TVs. I think I have used ours maybe 6 times in the last year.

I like Visio tvs, but the new ones come with a remote that doesn’t have channel number buttons. I had to buy one for $10 on Amazon.

I am partial to Visio and LG. The off brands don’t seem to last. We have a ~15 year old Visio 47 that still works great.

I would not get anything with a refresh rate of less than 240hz. Ste 3 side by side with the same feed in the store, 60hz, 120hz, and 240hz. Watch the picture as the camera pans, lower refresh rate screens look choppy and I can't tolerate them.
I would use the audio line out to the stereo to deliver sound to the room.

That is the extent of my knowledge about TVs. I think I have used ours maybe 6 times in the last year.
That's actually information I can use. Thank you!

We've also got a circa 2005-ash Visio, but haven't used in since 2020 when I set up a projector and a 80" screen over the mantle.

It did have "the" visio issue of the day where the volume would intermittently go down affecting mainly the vocal register.

It's the only flat screen TV I've ever bought and I waited to get one of those resolution features but forget which one.

Prior to that, I had a 27" Zenith CRT.

Just a note -- although you don't NEED a smart TV, the inclusion of the feature is something that subsidizes the cost of the hardware. For example, Roku pays manufacturers to include its streaming system on TVs, and the manufacturers are able to offer lower prices on the TV.

You should be able to get a 40-55" TV for under $300.

Your issue is gong to be finding one with RCA inputs.
Almost everything now is HDMI.

You might be able to "upgrade" your DVD player to Blue-ray, that should be backwards compatible to "standard" DVD and also have HDMI output.

Curious what the above member experienced with TCL.
I've heard nothing but good about them and what a good value they are, including from our son who works on servers (like me) and builds high end gaming systems (unlike me for the past 20 years) sometimes using multiple TCL 4K TVs for monitors.
If your referring to me. Had one tcl scramble the picture for good. Then had another scramble the picture for a couple days then back to normal.

Interesting.

I think my boy has installed around a dozen, including 3 each on his and his wife's systems.

Next time I talk to him, I'll ask if he's heard of that.

We've also got a circa 2005-ash Visio, but haven't used in since 2020 when I set up a projector and a 80" screen over the mantle.

It did have "the" visio issue of the day where the volume would intermittently go down affecting mainly the vocal register.

It's the only flat screen TV I've ever bought and I waited to get one of those resolution features but forget which one.

Prior to that, I had a 27" Zenith CRT.
We got a few projectors

FB_IMG_1676576323540.jpg

Nice.

Out boy has two rooms in his house, a gaming room and an upstairs kind of family room that have "whole wall" pictures.

Our house does not lend it's self to that.
I could get a larger picture from my projector, but I need a screen as it's on a flagstone fireplace, and the only screen I have limits the pic to about 80".
I could probably go 120 to 144 inches maybe a little larger.
Honestly I'd likely be in shock going back to 40-48".

What a nice problem to have.

Thats at work, I think that screen is 60 foot wide. I have a 125" projector at home but hardly use it, the kids do though.

120hz isn't too bad, but if you watch anything with fast changing screens like gaming, it might make you unhappy.

120hz isn't too bad, but if you watch anything with fast changing screens like gaming, it might make you unhappy.
We don't game at all. So maybe I'll hunt for a 120. Having trouble finding a 240 in a 32". I have that dvd player in my cart though. lol

We don't game at all. So maybe I'll hunt for a 120. Having trouble finding a 240 in a 32". I have that dvd player in my cart though. lol
We don't game very much so it's never been an issue. I don't recall if our TV is 120 or 240, but I think it might be 120hz.

I think if you get it cheap enough, 60 will make you happy. 120 is good enough for old people like us.

I think if you get it cheap enough, 60 will make you happy. 120 is good enough for old people like us.
I'm certain the one we have now is probably 60. Under certain conditions, it does appear choppy.

I believe the 60 to 120 refresh was what I waited for.

I also believe I wasn't impressed enough when 240 came out to spend any money on an upgrade.

I do watch hockey, so a tiny black dot moving at 70+ mph across the screen is fine on 120 Hz.

I'm lookin at this one. Whatchyall think about it?
TV Set

-
Back