Need valve train advice 318...

-

Youngthrill

69 GT
Reaction score
so im in the process of putting my 318 together(pis coming soon)..i want to make sure i have all my parts first so im not leaving it half done..or at least have most things done to put heads and valve train together..

first question..i called lunati..they recommended cam 60441..which im sure im going to go with..im buying cam and lifters from them...they said i need springs also..my question i just bought a new set of eddy heads ported, 63cc chambers ..the springs look beefy and was wondering if i have to change them or there just selling my springs??

next question i have 273 adjustable rockers..i let them soak in parts wash cleaned up real nice but the adjustment screws are really dam tight..is this normal.note they wernt bolted down but the seemed pretty dam hard..are they junk?im a going to have to spend $400 for crane ones??thanks fabo..

once i have all parts layed out im posting pics and hopefully gathering more advice(first american motor)i do vw for a living big differance)

The 273 rockers have an interference fit adjuster, they are supposed to be tight so they dont loosen on their own that is why they have no lock nut. The Edelbrock springs are not that beefy, I run a Edelbrock RPM cam and they tell me not to use double springs, (ie stiff) so I am betting Edelbrock heads have compatible springs for an edelbrock cam which cant use a stiff spring, so they are probably OK, but youll have to check Lunati and see what their open anc closed seat pressure recommendations are. How high are you going to rev it?

the stock eddy springs are good for .575 lift and have about 125 lbs on seat...you will have no problem with the lift ....you will lose the lash .016 plus about .020 for the crooked pushrods on a LA mopar.

but dont know about seat pressure what lunati wants...

That's a 6800 rpm cam and it doesn't start pulling until 2600. At least 3.91 gears with short tires will be needed.
243/251 @ .050" and .546"/.566" lift
2600-6800 rpm

Springs should have 130 pounds of seat pressure with 1.7" installed height.

Lunati is correct in telling you to change springs but that is not the cam you wanna run if you are not planning on building a hot street/strip car.
What is the intended purpose of the car?
What compression?
What gears?
What size tire?
Everything in the motor needs to work together.

-
Back