needs a little help shocks and springs

-

mopardemon340

Reaction score
my 72 demon has air shocks in the rear and im thinking of removing them for adjustable ones.. my question is how do i know if my springs are good or worn out. when i removed the air from the shocks the rear drops lower then the front. my understanding is that if i take the air out the springs should hold the car at the stock ride height and not sag below the front unless they are weak springs.. is this corrent or is the air shocks pulling the rear down cause i removed the air creating a suction inside the shock? front of car is at the proper ride height from when we did the alignment

Idk where you are located but Warner Spring in Indianapolis would have or be able to make any spring set you would want, from factory to whatever you want.

Landrum has them. I think *think* Mancini has some stockers. There is another place I can't think of right now. If you google leaf springs you should find them.

I know there are local spring shops in most decent sized cities that can make you anything you want, or re-arch what you have.

Unless you've already done so, you can bet the bushings are SHOT to crap.

As for shocks, lots of guys use the Ranch/Calvert 9 way adjustables. But, for not much more money you can get a Viking double adjustable. Gives you way more tuning ability.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
My springs which were replaced. Pretty sure the needed it. It can't be seen in photo but the other spring eye to the pin were matched up as well as I could
Yote

im going to look into new springs before i get caltracs. how do i figure out what springs i need. 0,+1,+2 ect. dont know what my car has on it now cause we didnt build it we bought the car the way it is.. so im assuming 0 would be stock height and the +1 and 2 would raise my rear up a inch or two from stock? can i get some pictures of your rear springs to see if mine is setup properly.

If you don't want SS springs I have a feeling you aren't going to like +1 or +2.

How do the upper shock mounts look?

Ride height, perhaps you could post a pic of your car before and after you deflated the air shocks. It'd help us get an idea what the situation is.

Did you post this question on Facebook? A subject just like it there too.

After 45 years I'm sure the springs have seen better days.

Where do you want the rear to sit?

Espo has decent springs at decent prices.

You can get stock height, and +1" or +2" heights. If you go that route I'd get the 6 leaf ones over the 5 leaf ones.

i want my rear of the car to sit just a little hire then the front.. wouldnt a 6 leaf make it a stiffer ride?

i want my rear of the car to sit just a little hire then the front.. wouldnt a 6 leaf make it a stiffer ride?

They are firmer but not "stiff". Put a good shock on it and you'll like them. The 6 leaf also hold weight ( like chairs and stuff in your trunk) better then the 5 leaf.

looks like you have longer shackles on the car too..

the pics are at a bad angle but it looks to sit high all the way around..

if you want it as high as the pic with the air in th eshocks i'd probably go with a espo 6 leaf +2" spring and stock shackles.. espo sells stock shacklestoo.. they also have u-bolts too for when ya do it.. th elady that answers the phne is great to deal with..

Leaf Springs, Coil Springs and Suspension | ESPO Springs n Things

even if you don't see it on their site. call them. they have it.. (800) 903-9019 | (570) 672-9413

From the looks of the last two pic's I'd say you need new springs or re-arch the ones you have if your budget minded! They shouldn't be flat like that. Once you do you won't need air shock's so invest in a good set when you can. Beautiful car by the way. Good luck with your project.

joe. we had the car aligned last year and they set the front to the stock height. so they say but we want it lower. what would you say the ride height should and how do you measure, and how long are the stock shackles.
From the looks of the last two pic's I'd say you need new springs or re-arch the ones you have if your budget minded! They shouldn't be flat like that. Once you do you won't need air shock's so invest in a good set when you can. Beautiful car by the way. Good luck with your project.
n
thanks i plan on getting the adjustable ones from caltrac to go with the caltracs when i getthem

joe. we had the car aligned last year and they set the front to the stock height. so they say but we want it lower. what would you say the ride height should and how do you measure, and how long are the stock shackles.

this how long a stock shackle is.. Mopar Performance P5249715: A Body Sold Individually | JEGS

your car has longer shackles and shock extensions on it... you put springs, the right shackles and good shocks on that car and it will probably ride light years better for ya..

like i said maybe its the angle of the pic but it looks high to me up front.. the factory service manual tells ya exactly where to measure for stock height..

this how long a stock shackle is.. Mopar Performance P5249715: A Body Sold Individually | JEGS

your car has longer shackles and shock extensions on it... you put springs, the right shackles and good shocks on that car and it will probably ride light years better for ya..

like i said maybe its the angle of the pic but it looks high to me up front.. the factory service manual tells ya exactly where to measure for stock height..
yea my shackles are longer then that.. now i need to find a factory service manual

-
Back