Neg. Battery Cable

-

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
I'm replacing the battery cables on my /6 1975 Scamp. Positive is done, now negative. It seems as though I have to remove the power steering pump to remove the bolt holding the original. I'm wondering if that's the original attachment location. It seems like an asinine place for connecting the cable. :-k I have the pump loose and ready to pull, but before I do, I thought I'd ask you guys.
Also, why do the older mopars have only one negative connection (to the block) and this has one going to the firewall as well?

Also, why do the older mopars have only one negative connection (to the block) and this has one going to the firewall as well?

I never keep track of exact "restore correct" routing, but ALL vehicles must have the frame / body / engine / battery bonded. There should be (have been) a pigtail either at the battery to the body, or another cable / strap from the engine to the body.

I never keep track of exact "restore correct" routing, but ALL vehicles must have the frame / body / engine / battery bonded. There should be (have been) a pigtail either at the battery to the body, or another cable / strap from the engine to the body.

On my wagon with the upgraded wiring, I will use a pigtail from the negative to the body as well as another from the firewall to the engine.

I checked out my '68 and sure enough, there's a ground from the rear of the block to the firewall.

Yep, just took mine off during my engine swap. I was bolted there with the bracket, I also have a ground strap at the back of the engine to the body.

I have added a 3 or 4 extra grounding straps to my Duster. If it is not grounded properly you end up with a myriad of gremlins.

It does not have to be in any exact spot. If there is a more convenient location, use it. Just verify the integrity of the ground

I also found that adding a grounding strap to the instrument cluster was a very wise move

...where is your ground attached?
i always thought there were 3
negative to drivers' side head
negative to rad bolt
rear passenger head to firewall

Depends on year / model / engine. I don't think my old 64 had anything except a pigtail from battery to fender and of course the main cable to engine block.

...where is your ground attached?
i always thought there were 3
negative to drivers' side head
negative to rad bolt
rear passenger head to firewall

I have added grounds to the
- fuel tank to prevent a fuel gauge problem
- fuel pump
- radio
- instrument cluster
- Wiper motor
- Alternator
- Voltage regulator
and some to the devices I have added to the vehicle that was not OEM.

Proper grounding is very important.

Oh Bother, at it again

-
Back