Neutral safety question

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
Installed an aftermarket floor shifter (was a column) .... what do I need to do with the neutral safety switch (don't know squat about electrical ) ?

Nothing. Neutral safety is on the transmission. You may need to address the reverse ( backup ) lights. Depends on whether that was on the column or the trans.

If the neutral switch on the trans is a single pin then the reverse light switch is elswhere (likely in the old column). The three pin switch on the transmission has the reverse light switch built in.

I do believe the center pin is the neutral/park part of the switch and the outside two pins complete the circuit turning on the reverse lights when in the reverse position. (test this with an ohm meter to make sure as it has been a couple years since I have had to track a problem with mine)

If the neutral switch on the trans is a single pin then the reverse light switch is elswhere (likely in the old column). The three pin switch on the transmission has the reverse light switch built in.

I do believe the center pin is the neutral/park part of the switch and the outside two pins complete the circuit turning on the reverse lights when in the reverse position. (test this with an ohm meter to make sure as it has been a couple years since I have had to track a problem with mine)

You are absolutely correct on all the above

I was thinking possibly this was my issue (nuthin when I turn the key) , guess I'll keep checking other possibilities. Back up lights are activated at the trans vs at the column so I should still have the back up lights ?

Mine only has a two prong for the reverse lights and reverse indicator. I never have tried to crank it in gear because I always make sure it's in neutral. I really think it will crank in gear if I tried but I never have. I always wondered what was missing far as keeping it from cranking in gear.

Mine only has a two prong for the reverse lights and reverse indicator. I never have tried to crank it in gear because I always make sure it's in neutral. I really think it will crank in gear if I tried but I never have. I always wondered what was missing far as keeping it from cranking in gear.

Isn't yours a 4 spd? I was thinking it was but maybe I'm wrong. If so their different than a auto. I haven't seen an a-body 4 spd. setup but I know allot of manual trans have a neutral switch that's activated by the clutch pedal being pressed down.

In terms of the reverse lights, my '68 cuda was a column shift and the reverse lights were activated from a swith with 2 wires on the lower part of the column.

If yours is like this you'll need to do something else to get them to work. I'm not an expert but if you use a 3 three prong neutral safety switch. You'll need a power source to one of the outside prongs. From the other outside prong, wire that one to the wire that goes back to the reverse lights. That wire should be found behind the driver kick panel. The center prong is your neutral safety switch.

I got lucky as the new under dash harness I got off ebay was set up for a floor shift. Meaning, the bulkhead was already wired for a floor shift so I only need run my outside wire prongs to the bulk head. With that I'm good in terms of being fuse protected and all. I'm not sure what the best way for you wire yours though. Only that you need power to one outside prong and the other outside prong needs to get to your reverse lights.

Now I'm confused... automatic or manual ?
If its automatic and turning key gets nothing the shifter linkage needs adjusting.

Now I'm confused... automatic or manual ?
If its automatic and turning key gets nothing the shifter linkage needs adjusting.

Isn't yours a 4 spd? I was thinking it was but maybe I'm wrong. If so their different than a auto. I haven't seen an a-body 4 spd. setup but I know allot of manual trans have a neutral switch that's activated by the clutch pedal being pressed down.

Mine is a 4 speed. Don't they need a neutral safety switch also?

I'm not sure when they started using a switch on manual trans cars but the switch would be on the clutch pedal mechanism rather than trans or shifter.

I'm not sure when they started using a switch on manual trans cars but the switch would be on the clutch pedal mechanism rather than trans or shifter.

OK ... Then mine did not come with one. There is no place on the clutch pedal for a switch.

Did I open a can 'o worms or what ?

Yeah... but it's good to know these type things. I think my car would just lunge forward instead of cranking and smash into something. I'm going to see what happens the next time I am out and about.

I unplugged mine from starter relay and ran a groud to it.Then mine would start by key.Now I,m having other elec. problems.

I unplugged mine from starter relay and ran a groud to it.Then mine would start by key.

Man that ain't a good idea. My Cuda had the safety switch bypassed when I bought it. I didn't think allot about it because I used to do stuff like that when I was a kid. Well I didn't have it long and put in a new stereo and had to move the shifter down into low to get in there good and forgot and left it there. Next time I got in and didn't pay attention and started it and just about crashed into the work bench before I got my foot on the brakes. I quickly repaired it the right way. I realize I should have looked to make sure it was in park before starting it but it just shows how easy it is to overlook something that simple.

OK ... Then mine did not come with one. There is no place on the clutch pedal for a switch.

Mully if I remember right the switch was mounted off a bracket just like the brake switch is. When you pressed the clutch pedal down it pushed the switch in. It's possible somebody took it all off before you bought the car.

-
Back