Neutral safety switch

-

phf

Reaction score
Hello all. I have been wondering what the neutral safety switch is and how do I wire it up:banghead:. I have been hot wiring my Barracuda through the starter relay:wack:, it hasn't been running in 3 years, but I am trying to get it on the road for good in the next couple of months. Any diagrams or pictures, even detailed explanations are greatly appreciated.

NSS is in the trans..and attached to the valve body...

went the trans is in neutral and park, it provides a ground to engage the starter relay switch..

dont know which one you have...if it is a 3 post switch...located on your trans..near where the shifter goes into the case....the center post is for the neutral safety switch...the wire goes to the starter relay switch on the G terminal...G for ground...

the other two terminals on the NSS is for the back up lites..

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    12.7 KB · Views: 210
NSS is in the trans..and attached to the valve body...

went the trans is in neutral and park, it provides a ground to engage the starter relay switch..

dont know which one you have...if it is a 3 post switch...located on your trans..near where the shifter goes into the case....the center post is for the neutral safety switch...the wire goes to the starter relay switch on the G terminal...G for ground...

the other two terminals on the NSS is for the back up lites..

Thank you very much! But what if its a 2 post switch?

i have seen single post..and 3 post...but no 2 post..maybe someone will come along and enlighten us..

sure one of the three has not been broken off?

The only 2 pin switches are the backup light switches used on 4 speed transmissions. NSS are either one for early cars or three for later.

The NSS provides a ground on the center pin when the trans is in park or neutral. That wire runs up over the trans and hooks to EITHER of the "push on" terminals on the starter relay. The remaining terminal hooks to the "start" wire which comes directly from the IGN switch start contacts, through the bulkhead, and to the start relay, usually yellow in color.

Ok. I think I got it now. Upon closer inspection it does look like the third prong broke off, so mystery solved there. And thank you both for enlightening me with how to wire this thing up. I'm electronically challenged...

Till you get one you can ground the brown wire from the relay. But be careful as then it can be started in gear.

I have 2 904 transmissions. One is out of the car, as a spare, and the other is in the car. the one out of the car has the messed up NSS. The one in the car has a good one...at least it still has all 3 prongs. Just need to wire it up is all. Thanks again!

-
Back