Never in my life would I have thought it would come to this

-
See LOTS of empty 8 3/4 for $150. Piece it together.
Freight for a loaded 8 3/4 will cost $600 at least......
Can you point me in the direction of an A-body 8 3/4 housing for 150.00. Not being flippant. I am piecing together an 8 3/4 and only need a housing now

Last edited:
I sold a complete 8 3/4 axle from my parts car dart for $600 if I remember correctly to a guy here on the forums. Cant remember his name and i was away for work when he came to get it. I bought that parts car about 3 months AFTER I bought and narrowed an 8 3/4 for my dart. I had bought 2 complete axles from craigslist for $150 sold one for $100 and had the other narrowed for $150. Bought big bolt pattern axles and refreshed the big bolt pattern brakes. I have about $550 or so in it.

I bought another axle a couple months ago to get the 3.55 suregrip chunk from and I've attempted to sell the complete axle with my old but good 2.76 chunk and haven't had much interest. If you search around you can find a sweet deal. I could have that axle narrowed to A body spec and probably sell it within a day or so.

I have been looking for months here and on Craig list and on the net in general. Problem is I can find B,C,E body housing / full assy all day long for a reasonable price but the cost to modify comes up to the same as an original A-body. I'm in Colorado and there aren't too many a-bodys around here and even fewer with 8 3/4. Tonys parts wants 650 + shipping, A local guy has a few but they are in the 500 to 600 range just for the housing. I can get complete B,C,E assy for 350 in a wrecking yard near by but again the cost to modify might as well pay the price for an original.

Ya gotta search is all I can say. As 1994redram said piece it together. Good deals on here don't last long

That's what I'm doing, only need a housing now! I'll find one eventually,

I know I sound like a whiny baby monkey but when I hear people narrowing an original A-body 8 3/4 I cringe.

dana67dart, Im about to narrow an original A body housing because the pricing for a c body has gotten to be the same price as an A body is in my area. My thought pattern now is to narrow the A body and if I need to go back to a stock A body length I can then narrow a C body and pay whatever I have to at that time. I may never need the A body length again. I ask a "friend" here in Pa that has probably 6 or more c body housings and he wants $200 for one. I cant see spending that when I have a housing that I can make work. When I told him I'll cut mine first he said dont do it. These guys, "in my opinion" just dont understand that parts are getting harder to find because they are leaving no choice to someone like me to cut or alter parts to keep the hobby affordable for ourselves.
Just my opinion and I dont fault anyone for what their asking prices are.
Rod

I remember going through a mountain of 8 3/4 rear ends at just one local junkyard with my brother to find what he wanted for his Duster and ended up buying 2 to make what he wanted. He bitched about $100. That was about 1980. Sigh........

I remember going through a mountain of 8 3/4 rear ends at just one local junkyard with my brother to find what he wanted for his Duster and ended up buying 2 to make what he wanted. He bitched about $100. That was about 1980. Sigh........

I miss the 80's.

There is a wrecking yard local with a dozen or more 8 3/4 for about 350 each. all are B,C or E.

I think after looking for a while and piecing one together you could come in at $650 to $800 low end. I've seen lot's at swap meet's. Decent deal's.
Great deal? My 8.8 with 87,000 miles complete with disc brakes 3.73 trac-loc AND if I have the local driveline shop shorten it and weld perches on (If I don't do it) I'll have $350 in it. Do what ya want.

I miss the 80's.

There is a wrecking yard local with a dozen or more 8 3/4 for about 350 each. all are B,C or E.

My take: Back in home state of Missouri, 8 3/4 b body rears go for $150 complete one legged. I bet they can be had here in Tx for same. Add the going cost for your third member. Complete A body 8 1/4 go for $100-150..... All Mopar.

Buy a truckload and bring them east. You'll get rich.

No offense, but I have been East twice!!!!!( Not counting Nats) Englishtown swap back in mid 90's. I needed a security guard on duty!! ha

Love Carlisle, but on that trip it was having a heat wave. 105 degrees, No one was buying squat.. again mid 90's.....

Dealing with swap meets selling parts or cars is finally wayyyyy off my radar!!!!!

No offense, but I have been East twice!!!!!( Not counting Nats) Englishtown swap back in mid 90's. I needed a security guard on duty!! ha

Love Carlisle, but on that trip it was having a heat wave. 105 degrees, No one was buying squat.. again mid 90's.....

Dealing with swap meets selling parts or cars is finally wayyyyy off my radar!!!!!

OK I meant southeast. More specifically, Florida. Okay what I really want you to do is load up an a body 8.75 with 3.91 and a Sure Grip new brakes and deliver to my door for $500. Is that asking too much? Haha.

OK I meant southeast. More specifically, Florida. Okay what I really want you to do is load up an a body 8.75 with 3.91 and a Sure Grip new brakes and deliver to my door for $500. Is that asking too much? Haha.

you dont need us to install it for you?

-
Back