Never in my life would I have thought it would come to this

-
340demon72, thats actually not a bad price for an axle to axle complete unit. wish I were closer.
rod

Saw this on the web...$700, but I would bet a deal would be made!

IMG_4169.PNG

Right, & IIRC, RRR already posted a "how to" on that.....................
Me too, I have showed the D 60 build. No regrets...
I put gear oil in two years ago and will never thing about it again- it's called, "Dana and Done"..

OK I meant southeast. More specifically, Florida. Okay what I really want you to do is load up an a body 8.75 with 3.91 and a Sure Grip new brakes and deliver to my door for $500. Is that asking too much? Haha.
I said $100-150 for b body 8 3/4 ONE legged rears, NO I never said you get a $400 or so, SUR grip third member with it!!!!! Read the fine print!!! ha
Or go to a Sprigfield MO pull a part, give them $200 and you pull it!!!! Ha again!!!

Ridiculous! Plus shipping plus$$$ gears$200 Plus the Sure Grip$350 plus installation??$$$

How much would you expect to pay for this unit? The guy can't help that you would need it shipped, or have to pay for installation, he is selling a complete unit that can go right in. A gear and SG change can always come later.

How much would you expect to pay for this unit? The guy can't help that you would need it shipped, or have to pay for installation, he is selling a complete unit that can go right in. A gear and SG change can always come later.
I would expect to pay about 450 for it. Being as it has undesirable Highway gears and an open differential. When I was talking about installation I was more talking about installing new gears and a new Sure Grip. Setting backlash in those kinds of things are usually done by a professional. But not always. And the shipping and everything it was just for this guy's case that were talking about. If he's looking to do something reasonable I don't see this as a reasonable option? Maybe it's in the same state or something and he won't have to pay for shipping? Basically if you're not wanting those gears or that differential you're more or less paying $700 for a housing in a couple stock axles. The brakes and drums and all that fit the same right off of a 8 and a quarter.

I would expect to pay about 450 for it. Being as it has undesirable Highway gears and an open differential. When I was talking about installation I was more talking about installing new gears and a new Sure Grip. Setting backlash in those kinds of things are usually done by a professional. But not always. And the shipping and everything it was just for this guy's case that were talking about. If he's looking to do something reasonable I don't see this as a reasonable option? Maybe it's in the same state or something and he won't have to pay for shipping? Basically if you're not wanting those gears or that differential you're more or less paying $700 for a housing in a couple stock axles. The brakes and drums and all that fit the same right off of a 8 and a quarter.

I contend that it is going to be very difficult to find the exact setup that the OP desires in a plug and play unit, hence the reason he will probably have to assemble his own rear. If he was interested in just getting one under the car and shopping for his exact center, a complete unit such as this would be a decent purchase!

As for the brakes, if the pictured unit is small bolt, only small bolt 8 3/4" brakes will work. They are unique to the 8 3/4" small bolt rear end only, and no other brakes will fit, due to the unique offset of the SBP axles.

I'll make every one of you sick.

I went to R+R salvage in Aurora, MO a few years ago, right before they closed.
They had a BIG dumpster full of 8 3/4 housings, each with the ends torched off. I asked about it and they were selling the pumpkins for, iirc rollercoaster drives. They wanted the easiest way to get the pumpkins out and the rest went to scrap. It would have been narrowed - axle paradise.

Ill give anyone here 600 bucks plus pay the freight for a 8 3/4 ( A-Body ) thats not junk but its gotta be a limited slip and not the style that cant be rebuilt

Not being negative here, but the reason you're having problems is two fold.

It's not the '80's, 90's, or even '00's anymore and....
You want your cake and to eat it too.

How soon do you want this rear? How many clutch sure grip chucks do you see for sale, period? When I first saw this I thought, "Yeah, How about gold plated, too?"

Good fast or cheap, pick two. If you got time, keep looking, it's out there. if you want to pay someone else to find the deals for you, it won't be a deal by the time you pay them. If you want brand X because your in a hurry and are cheap (My personal opinion is being held back), then you ruled out good, and there are other expenses too that.

What exactly do you want this rear for, anyway? THAT Will have more bearing on getting what you need quickly that ANYTHING else. But if want the best right effin' now, you're going to pay.

.........Okay what I really want you to do is load up an a body 8.75 with 3.91 and a Sure Grip new brakes and deliver to my door for $500. Is that asking too much?.....

Lol, If you were in the right state and you whine enough, they might even redistribute one to ya'.:D

Im in no huge rush, its going under a 71 Dart. At this point if I could find one locally in FL for 500 bucks that was a one legger than I would buy it and install it and be happy with it for now. ( cant be junk or something someone has scabbed together )

I dont think for that kind of money I should have to do anything to it other than maybe turning the drums, installing new hardware

Seems like some of you guys live here so if you see one posted and you can buy it cheap enough and get it too me for 500-600 bucks than I dont care what you pay I will buy it from you.

If I get it and its sloppy though I.E junk than Im not gonna let it go though

The biggest problem with MOPAR guys and gals .. they do not know a good deal when it hits them in the head .... I could not sell a COMPLETELY rebuilt 489 limited slip center section with practically new RIHCMOND gears for 600 dollars .. until one day i got a call from a local guy and sold it for 500 dollars ... The unit had NO issues ????
Most of the guys buying the product don't want to pay for shipping ???? F&*( U..............they want me to absorb the shipping in the asking price .... nuff said

Oh my Lord.....ya ya ignore the comment...just like a parent should to a spoiled/whiney kid lol

Maybe place a wamt ad???

Im in no huge rush, its going under a 71 Dart. At this point if I could find one locally in FL for 500 bucks that was a one legger than I would buy it and install it and be happy with it for now. ( cant be junk or something someone has scabbed together )

I dont think for that kind of money I should have to do anything to it other than maybe turning the drums, installing new hardware

Seems like some of you guys live here so if you see one posted and you can buy it cheap enough and get it too me for 500-600 bucks than I dont care what you pay I will buy it from you.

If I get it and its sloppy though I.E junk than Im not gonna let it go though
This comment makes me absolutely think you've lost your marbles! You really expect to put an ad out here and people to start bringing eight and three quarter rear ends to your house? For you to reject or take? LOL

I need a fiberglass front bumper for my 73 duster if anybody out here has one is willing to drop it off at my house in Portland I'd be glad to give them a hundred fifty bucks for it. But if it has any scratches or I don't like it be prepared for me to reject it....

What's in there now?

What are you plans for HP/TQ?

I bet you could get an M body 8 1/4 from a U pull for under $150.

Last 8.75 Slowpar rear I tried to use had a bent housing. Why use a 45 year housing when a new, stronger 9" can be had for less $$? Last I checked gear selection for the Slowpar housing is limited compared to the 9". Dana 60....now THAT is a porker. Always chuckle when I see the chest thumping Slowpar faithfuls say "keep it Slowpar, get a Dana 60"....hmmm...Dana is, and always has been to the best of my knowledge, an aftermarket company. First generation Broncos all had some sort of Dana products, at the minimum the Dana 20 t-case. Damn near every Ford 4×4 has a Dana front axle. Full size Broncos had the 44, Rangers had a 28 or 35. Hell, if I remember right the Dana 60 was even used under some GM vans and pickups...

To the that the complete A body rears were 400 about 7 years ago and now they are 1000 and up. Mopar brothers sure like to rape each other. It is actually starting to drive me back to playing with Chevy`s.
Sad but true. Chevy parts are so much cheaper and available.

Sad but true. Chevy parts are so much cheaper and available.

Just sold my '74 Barracuda to a guy who also owns a '67 Camaro. The difference in parts almost blew him away.

At the same time, though, rather a fender costs $400 or $600, the return on investment for just about any car will leave you under water.

No matter what the breed, it's an expensive hobby and takes certain amount of money to get it done anyway.

What's funny is that when you start comparing prices it's all relative.

Years ago you needed good used sheetmetal to do a quality restoration. If you bought jip quarter skins to put on a Hemi car and saved money then the difference could be thousands on the back end when you went to sell as compared to paying, say, a grand for a good used quarter.

Had a customer who wanted to put $100 quarter skins on his '69 white on black SCJ Mustang. Or he could pay $1200 for a good used complete quarter. The difference could have been as much as $10k on the selling price. Sure, I could blend the jip skin in to make it look like it grew there, but to a trained eye, someone *really* good, it would be recognizable as a jip skin.

Now, ask a guy who owns a $1M Packard how much he's willing to pay to keep it a $1M car.

Had a buddy who wouldn't touch the hood on million dollar car because he was afraid screwing it up. Screw that. I'd pay my paint jobber for every friggin paint sample they had to make to get the color perfect and then charge that on the back end. Someone who wants it perfect is willing to pay the price for it.

Do you want to save money or do you want it done right?

Last edited:
-
Back