Never in my life would I have thought it would come to this

-
Just sold my '74 Barracuda to a guy who also owns a '67 Camaro. The difference in parts almost blew him away.

At the same time, though, rather a fender costs $400 or $600, the return on investment for just about any car will leave you under water.

No matter what the breed, it's an expensive hobby and takes certain amount of money to get it done anyway.

What's funny is that when you start comparing prices it's all relative.

Years ago you needed good used sheetmetal to do a quality restoration. If you bought jip quarter skins to put on a Hemi car and saved money then the difference could be thousands on the back end when you went to sell as compared to paying, say, a grand for a good used quarter.

Had a customer who wanted to put $100 quarter skins on his '69 white on black SCJ Mustang. Or he could pay $1200 for a good used complete quarter. The difference could have been as much as $10k on the selling price. Sure, I could blend the jip skin in to make it look like it grew there, but to a trained eye, someone *really* good, it would be recognizable as a jip skin.

Now, ask a guy who owns a $1M Packard how much he's willing to pay to keep it a $1M car.

Had a buddy who wouldn't touch the hood on million dollar car because he was afraid screwing it up. Screw that. I'd pay my paint jobber for every friggin paint sample they had to make to get the color perfect and then charge that on the back end. Someone who wants it perfect is willing to pay the price for it.

Do you want to save money or do you want it done right?
I'm a twin and my brother has a 70 1/2 Camaro and I have a 67 fastback Cuda. I was just saying that when he needs parts for his car, the difference in price and availability is so different than with my cuda. I do understand many less of my car was made, and probably doesn't appeal as much to the masses as his does.
But for me, this isn't about making money on the car, but to drive what I enjoy. The camaro is a very sweet car to drive, handling, power and all that good stuff, and my cuda is coming along to be on par with it.

I ain't paying no fifty cents for no Coke...

Then you ain't getting no Coke...

I'm a twin and my brother has a 70 1/2 Camaro and I have a 67 fastback Cuda. I was just saying that when he needs parts for his car, the difference in price and availability is so different than with my cuda. I do understand many less of my car was made, and probably doesn't appeal as much to the masses as his does.
But for me, this isn't about making money on the car, but to drive what I enjoy. The camaro is a very sweet car to drive, handling, power and all that good stuff, and my cuda is coming along to be on par with it.

But that's the thing with talking money.

I love my Mopars. You can keep just about anything else. Those are my dreams and my fun. Can you really put a price tag on a dream?

"Oh, look! It's cheaper to build a Chevy."

That's okay if you dream about owning a Chevy.

If one is in the hobby to save money, then it's the wrong hobby. It *all* costs money. Rather I have a Camaro that I can get a fender for $400 or a Barracuda that the fender costs me $600, either way I'm that much poorer. $400 is still $400. If I wanted to "save" the extra $200, might as well find something else to do and save the $400, too.

But that's the thing with talking money.

I love my Mopars. You can keep just about anything else. Those are my dreams and my fun. Can you really put a price tag on a dream?

"Oh, look! It's cheaper to build a Chevy."

That's okay if you dream about owning a Chevy.

If one is in the hobby to save money, then it's the wrong hobby. It *all* costs money. Rather I have a Camaro that I can get a fender for $400 or a Barracuda that the fender costs me $600, either way I'm that much poorer. $400 is still $400. If I wanted to "save" the extra $200, might as well find something else to do and save the $400, too.
Yup, agreed.

Can you point me in the direction of an A-body 8 3/4 housing for 150.00. Not being flippant. I am piecing together an 8 3/4 and only need a housing now

I seen a bunch of bare A housings at Carlisle from $100 to $150.

I just picked up a 75 duster, has a small bolt 8.75 with open diff and a factory dual snorkel hood scoop. Even the body isnt too bad, except for the mice that have made a home in it.oh ya, it was a sweet deal. Kim

-
Back