New 383 wont fire

-
looking at your crank gear, there are 2 grooves for the slot on the shaft....is it possible that the gear is on wrong making the timing off? if so how do I know which is the correct slot

I will throw up some pics of a 68 383 I have the short block together
And it timed 12 on the crank and 12 on the cam give me a sec to post them

What you are saying is true----12 on the cam, 12 on the crank IS in fact no1 ready to fire. If you timed that very same setup at 6 and 12 "by the book" it would produce no6 ready to fire. "They" assume we are smart enough to rotate the engine one turn, or else plug the dist. in for no6

So you look at either no1 or no6 valves if the covers are off, or you "stick your finger in."

Something I've preached here before is to MAKE SURE your timing mark is OK. You might have the wrong balancer (some trucks/ motorhomes) or the balancer outer ring may have slipped.

This is about a half hour procedure for someone who has never done so.

get yourself (or make!!!) a pistons stop

This is one I made for a SB over 30 years ago!! Again this one is SMALL block, not BB/ RB

attachment.php

Pull the no1 plug, make sure the piston is "down a ways" and pull off the battery ground.

Install the device. You may have to adjust the length the first time around. You are NOT trying to stop the piston at TDC but rather "down somewhat" in the bore. Using a socket, turn the engine until it stops, and make a temporary mark on the balancer. CAREFULLY right under the TDC mark on the timing tab.

Next, rotate the engine CCW and do the same thing. You now have two temporary marks and true TDC is halfway in between them. If your original mark is correct, that is where it will be.

No those those are for retarding or advancing the timing the engine in the pics is
Mechanically in time

looking at your crank gear, there are 2 grooves for the slot on the shaft....is it possible that the gear is on wrong making the timing off? if so how do I know which is the correct slot

No those those are for retarding or advancing the timing the engine in the pics is
Mechanically in time

Cuda, he has a point. If tommy has a 3 groove lower sprocket, you MUST be careful that you used the correct timing mark on that sprocket

I don't know whether the one below is bb or sb, but notice that you go by the simbol on the key and if you are using that key, they us use the corresponding timing mark

In the photo you can see the near key has a "O" and there is an "O" mark CCW from the key. Around the "bottom" you can see that key has an "A" and that there is a corresponding "A" further along.

5-5COMP-11012.jpg

Cuda, he has a point. If tommy has a 3 groove lower sprocket, you MUST be careful that you used the correct timing mark on that sprocket

I don't know whether the one below is bb or sb, but notice that you go by the simbol on the key and if you are using that key, they us use the corresponding timing mark

In the photo you can see the near key has a "O" and there is an "O" mark CCW from the key. Around the "bottom" you can see that key has an "A" and that there is a corresponding "A" further along.

5-5COMP-11012.jpg

Yep 67dart you are correct he may well have a crank gear like that
I kinda miss read his question

Yep when we were installing all the new goodies in dads 273, I installed the crank gear wrong. It also had 3 choices and I misunderstood. So when it came to setting the valves(adj rockers) we were turning the eng over by hand and actually bent 2 push rods. What didnt help was the balancer wasnt "in sync" with the engine. In essence the balancer was marked wrong or incorrect for our engine. Here are some pics. Dbl chk the instructions for the timing chain set. In the pic it shows dot-dot(12-12) but like 67dart273/Del said that is for piston 6 TDC.

Attachments

• DSCF6675 (Medium).jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCF6681 (Medium).jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 209
Yup. 'S why you cannot assume anything, or guess. You have to check EVERYTHING. As old as these girls are, anything could be "different."

thanks again for all the replies. wednesday is my day off. hopefully this is the problem, and it will be running on monday.. ill post a youtube clip of it running!!!!.....(hopefully)

As mentioned before. If you find the timing marks to be correct, make sure the lifters aren't pumped up and holding the valves open. And make sure you have the right length push rods, they could be to long and holding the valves open.

Alright, I got off a little early today and decided to get a head start. I was happy to get the front end pulled off without having to remove the radiator/fluid. The crank sprocket was installed on the square slot, not the circle. I have everything lined up and feel confident no contact between the cam and piston was made. Small cam. Tomorrow I will get new gaskets and try to fire. No wonder I wasn't getting compression with the finger test!
I will post videos tomorrow.

I had problems whith mine when useing the msd box, had to jumb the brown wire from the ballast resistor when not using a ballast, if i remember right.

So you figure the crank sprocket was installed incorrect?? I would dbl check pushrods for straightness to be sure. Good luck!!

fired up after switching the crank gear. hard to find big block mopar gaskets locally!!! had to try a few places. doesnt smoke, runs great....thanks for all the great advice.
and thanks FABO

Thats awesome!! I know the feeling, been there done that!! Did ya "verse" yer buddy on mopar engines yet?? :eek:ops: LOL

-
Back