New 8 1/4 rear

-

Mick Semantel

Reaction score
Bought an 8 1/4 from Texas Acres. I have some question's. 1) how do I find out the gear ratio? 2) since it already came out of a 74 Plymouth A body, do the axle brackets need to be relocated? or are all a-bodies set up the same for the leaf springs? 3)I was also wondering if I would have to make new brake lines? and finally, how do I tell if the rear is good or not?

Didn't mean to bombard you guys, but I was reading some other posts about leaving the 7 1/4 in the rear, and what could/does happen to them when the go out.

Thanks
Mick

there should be a tag on one of the rearcover bolts with gear ratio i changed mine from a 71/4 to 81/4 brakelines work but you have to get new shockmounts +new ubolts got mine from manicie racing and driveshaft has to be shorten and balance goodluck

There's not a fool proof way to tell if it's good or not but just spin it over by hand and feel if it spins smoothly. If it has rough spots that could be a problem. Also wiggle the axles up and down to see if there's any play in the bearings.

A couple of things can happen when a rearend goes out. They can either make alot of noise or they can stop going all together. I've even seen them gernade and blow parts out the back.

Yes all A-bodies are set up the same but like Mr.318 said the shock mounts and U-bolts are different size for different rearends.

If By Shoch Mounts Mr 318 Means The Lower Plates That Go Under The Rear, I Have A Good Set I Just Took Off A Duster If The Work For You Pay For Shipping And There Yours.

to determine the axle ratio either the thing will have a tag as mentioned above or in most cases they are missing. If missing then rotate one axle one revolution and count the number of turns the pinion makes. 1 tire revolution to 2 3/4 pinion turns its a 2.7x gear etc.

Before installing I recommend inspecting the axle condition if for no other reason than to change the gear lube. To do so, drop the cover off the back of the housing - 10 bolts with a drain pan under it, and a little prying. You will then be able to read the ratio directly off the edge of the ring gear, somewhere along the edge the ratio will be marked, just turn the ring gear until you can see it. Look for excessive metal particles in the oil and on the floor of the housing under the ring gear.

While doing this look at the wear pattern on the ring gear teeth, if its roughly an elongated oval well centered on the gear teeth then its probably okay.

Going further I think its a well thought out plan to inspect the outboard wheel bearings its really easy to do. If you dont have a service manual get one to read up on this.

To do this you need to yank the deathpin lock bolt, and pull the spider gear shaft, once out push the axles in and remove the c clips, and pull the axle shafts part way out. Inspect the bearing surface for damaged areas. If good reinstall them and reverse the whole procedure. If the bearing surface on the axle is damaged you can buy problem solver bearings that move the wear surface away from the damaged part. I think its just good practice to replace the outboard axle bearings on these c lock rearends, so I'd replace them whether the axle shaft has issue or otherwise. But thats me !

I'd also flush the axle housing out with some gasoline just to remove the residual oily crud and then allow it to dry out. Then reassemble the whole mess...

Good luck

66dartgt said:
to determine the axle ratio either the thing will have a tag as mentioned above or in most cases they are missing. If missing then rotate one axle one revolution and count the number of turns the pinion makes. 1 tire revolution to 2 3/4 pinion turns its a 2.7x gear etc.

Just a note. If it is a open rearend. As in a non-sure grip make sure and rotate both axles exactly one full revolution not just one or you will get a false reading. It takes one guy on each side to do this properly. If you only rotate one axle and hold the other still you have to multiply the reading by 2. This due to the spider gear multiplication in the differential. If you have a sure grip you don't have to worry about this and figuring gear ratio is alot easier.

Thanks a million for the advise. I'm going to crack it open tomorrow. I can't wait till spring. Then everything comes out and in goes the new motor. What a great hobby.

-
Back