New 904 converter doesn't fit.... uh-oh...

-

butterball

Banned
Reaction score
I am chasing an engine-speed related vibration on my '71 Dart, 318/904.

Took off accessory belts, no change. Installed new balancer, no change. Dropped pan to inspect rotating assembly, nothing weird there, replaced original '71 rod bearings. Flexplate good. Figured it's gotta be a converter problem, though there are no weight on the converter there is a small crack in the starter ring.

Bought a used (400 street miles) 904 Boss Hog converter, Summit part number 53022 that had previously been installed on a neutral-balance LA stroker. The transmission in the Dart is actually a '72, don't know if that matters or not.

Dropped the trans today and compared the converters. The Boss Hog has a starter ring diameter of about 12-1/2 inches compared to 13-1/4 inches on the one I pulled out. The snout on the Boss Hog is also a little over 1/4" smaller at just under 1-1/2 inches to the old converter's 1-3/4.

I thought all post-'68 904s were the same?

I know the splined changed, but the hub diameter? starter gear? Something is wrong, maybe wrong part number?

Sounds like the 13+ inch ring gear is a 727 converter.

Better look at the pan, if it has a bump out on it... 727.

http://www.carcraft.com/newlook/crc_act/116_0302_trans/index.html

116_0302_trans05_z.jpg

That "bump out" is right under where the dipstick tube is. I compared it to my '69 Barracuda's 727, and sure enough... :eek:ops:

Thanks for the heads-up! Anyone here want a good deal on a Boss Hog converter? LOL!

-
Back