New addition to the School

-

Rustyfish

Reaction score
Just picked up this nice running '66. PO just put some nice work into this little fish with new dual exhaust, 10" brakes all round, alternator, carb and probably more. Then had to sell to bail out his daughter. Has a valve body leak in the steering gear, but that's the only major problem I see right now. Originally a 273 auto with bucket seats. Can't tell what's in it now just yet, but either 273 or 318. Too much grime on the block to see so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0795.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_0796.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 611
Here is the fender tag. Originally red.

Attachments

• IMG_0802.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 535
So after looking it over some, I find that the engine is stamped 400 6730. Can't see the numbers after, so I look it up and turns out it's a 1976-1984 318 rather than the 273 that it originally came with. Not sure if I'm disappointed or excited about that. I suppose it will make it easier to find a 4bbl intake/carb setup.

Here is my current wheel and hubcap setup. I like them but I've always really wanted some correct rallys so I was able to pick up a set cheap. They need restoring but love have more of the stance that I want for my '66. The other pic is the rallys. Thoughts on preferences?

Attachments

• IMG_0846.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_0844.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 524
@Mike, yes I really like the Dark Red Poly. I will be going back to that at some point in the process.

What type bait did you use to catch that one?

nice catch!!!! i too love that dark red poly or maroon to me. I painted a 65 dart of mine that color. a guy can only have so many original white cars, even tho I do like white.

barbee, are you trying to short the market of dart GT's? Nice collection!

Ha!! thanks but I like them because they look like a small version of the early B body. the good part is the project car is very affordable especially with the slant, bad part is it costs bout as much to restore these cars,.... that it would cost to restore a different model that ultimately would be worth more $$ if ya sold, but since i'm not trying to be an "investor" ! , these cars fit the bill for me.../ found a good 66 dart for $500 complete car. that would be a great addition!? ha

Nice catch!!

I'm partial to that year also!!!!:cheers:

And...I like the Rallye (Rally, Ralley, etc. etc) wheels myself.

@Toad, I've loved the look of the early Cudas forever. First car was a '65 Mustang but had a '70 Dart years ago and really loved the little 318. That's what I've currently got in the Fish but eyeing a local 340. Shark in Barracuda clothing to be.

Ha!! thanks but I like them because they look like a small version of the early B body. the good part is the project car is very affordable especially with the slant, bad part is it costs bout as much to restore these cars,.... that it would cost to restore a different model that ultimately would be worth more $$ if ya sold, but since i'm not trying to be an "investor" ! , these cars fit the bill for me.../ found a good 66 dart for $500 complete car. that would be a great addition!? ha

Haha yes you are clearly lacking a '66!

So the weather is finally turning for the good and I deciphered enough of the alternator wires to the starter solenoid upgrade to get it done. I used 10g wires and 14g fusible links. Took some time to figure out a decent route but it is done. Also changed out the battery- wire because the old one was routed almost all the way around the battery before going to the engine. Feels like it starts faster now. Took her out for her first lunch and got at least 3 comments along the way and back. One guy pulled up while driving and asked what kind of car it was. Hardly any 1st Gen's on the road around here.

Attachments

• IMG_1338.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_1337.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1336.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_1335.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_1333.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 324
I'd be interested in the dog dish hub caps to help fund your refinishing of the rally wheels lol. Personally I love the dog dish caps with no trim rings but I'd find a set of 14" steel wheels. Go for a 245/60/14 in the back for tires. Great combo

Nice catch, I'll be watching. Early barracudas rock

Yes!! Nice weather is great for getting in the mood to work on our old girls!

I had mine out for a short ride today. First time EVER I saw another 1st gen Barracuda in my area. It was a 65. I'll be keeping my eye out for it again.

I'd be interested in the dog dish hub caps to help fund your refinishing of the rally wheels lol. Personally I love the dog dish caps with no trim rings but I'd find a set of 14" steel wheels. Go for a 245/60/14 in the back for tires. Great combo

Nice catch, I'll be watching. Early barracudas rock

Well I did my best on the wheels and painted them up. Put them on the car just to see the look and stance. The tires are 215/70/14 rallyes and I love the look, but they were more rusty and pitted than I thought. But I decided to go with the same size and ordered some Cooper Cobras. I like the size and look with the raised white letters. Once I get them mounted and balanced I'll load some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1330.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 322
Yes!! Nice weather is great for getting in the mood to work on our old girls!

I had mine out for a short ride today. First time EVER I saw another 1st gen Barracuda in my area. It was a 65. I'll be keeping my eye out for it again.

Yeah, I know there are more. There is a 440 powered '66 around here somewhere. Very nicely done. And I know there is another local club member with one.

Check out my little project!! Notice the resemblance???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 329
-
Back