New alternator question.

-

funhntt

Reaction score
View attachment DSC_6480.JPG

My sons 73 duster is getting a new AC Delco 3 wire internally regulated alternator to bypass the voltage reg. and clean up some wires. My question is will this also bypass the ballist resistor??

need ballast resistor for coil...so the answer would be NO

Some folks call this a one wire system but its 3 wires. The post wire goes to the +battery post. the other 2 wires pluged into the alter. The #1 plug goes to the dash warning light and the #2 plug is jumped to the alternator charging post wire to kick on the alternator when you start the car. Other wise you would have to rev the engine to about 2300 rpm to kick it on.

OK the reason I ask is "how did you hook up" no1, since your Mopar doesn't have a warning light?

Did you add one, or did you hook no1 to switched ignition through a diode?

3501i6f.jpg

Thats a good question. Fack is i have not installed it yet. Plan is to put in a warning light. I'm just trying to see what i can yank out off there. Is there a better way or suggestions??

'S the reason I asked. Your original had switched 12V going to one of the field connections on the blue wire. You could add a diode in series, and hook it to no1, unless you WANT a warning lamp. Please don't omit the series diode. It protects the diode trio inside the alternator. In a "stocker" this protection is provided by the warning lamp/ resistor combo in GM rigs.

Hey, thanks. Thats a great idea. Thats why I love this forum/ Good, FREE, advice!!
So I just add a diode to the blue field wire and hook up to the #1 and its all good?

:thumbup:Thanks great idea. I just add a diode to the blue field wire and hook up to #1 and its all good?

Yup. Look at the picture to get it in right. Anything say, 2-5 amp rating from Rad Shack should be OK

-
Back