New AMD fender...holy crap.

-

nitroneal

Reaction score
This is a 68 Dart 2dr sedan. The original fender was mangled beyond belief and gobs of holes drilled and slide hammered out then about 3 pounds bondo. No fenderwell structure damage. Decided on new fender, Got AMD, no shipping damage. All the mounting holes are lined up. The speed lines are real close. The same frankenstein that did the fender also did the door. It's been caved in and pulled back out and lots of bondo. It fits the hole great and opens and closes great. Which do you think is way off, the new fender or the door? Going to be a hell of treasure hunt to find a sedan door.
Thanks, Neal.

amd fender.png

unless the rocker got smashed in too, the fender would be off. I`d make a pattern off the new fender and see if it matches a good nos fender, if you could find another in your area, if not mail it off to a member, if they would check it for you.

Have seen fenders with a large stack of shims between the bottom of the fender and its mounting location which lowers it and would not " bow out " as much

The door is probably closer to original, the new fender not so much.

When did AMD start selling fenders? I would expect to see them in e-coat!

Did you use the same shims that were on the car? If the door and rocker was hit too, it is hard to say!

Last edited:
The door is probably closer to original, the new fender not so much.

I agree with fishmens67 post.... as far as I can see, the rocker looks to be fine in the picture, it's the fender that is basically junk, not even close to being correct, and what does a fender like this cost? AMD just isn't getting these panels right. Can't understand this with all the technology, computer cad, etc to get it done right the first time. You may be able to get it somewhat close, with a sledgehammer and some block's of wood!

It's just sitting there. No shims anywhere. The rocker doesn't look like it's been gooberd. Now that I think about it I know a guy here that has a 68 hardtop no rust arizona car that I don't think has been hit. I could trace a pattern off the back of it. AMD makes all kinds of stuff. They have a good rep for fantastic fit right out of the box. It was black primer right before I sprayed it with flat white primer. I can do paint and bodywork, it just takes me 4 times as much time and material as someone who's good at it.

It's just sitting there. No shims anywhere. The rocker doesn't look like it's been gooberd. Now that I think about it I know a guy here that has a 68 hardtop no rust arizona car that I don't think has been hit. I could trace a pattern off the back of it. AMD makes all kinds of stuff. They have a good rep for fantastic fit right out of the box. It was black primer right before I sprayed it with flat white primer. I can do paint and bodywork, it just takes me 4 times as much time and material as someone who's good at it.

All my metal came from AMD and the fit was much closer. Course I have not seen any Barracuda fenders from them, so I am a little surprised Dart fenders are available and not Barracuda fenders. They (AMD) are about 20 minutes from where I live. How old are the fenders?

I agree with fishmens67 post.... as far as I can see, the rocker looks to be fine in the picture, it's the fender that is basically junk, not even close to being correct, and what does a fender like this cost? AMD just isn't getting these panels right. Can't understand this with all the technology, computer cad, etc to get it done right the first time. You may be able to get it somewhat close, with a sledgehammer and some block's of wood!

Not quite frustrated enough to go with sledge and wood yet. It's probably something I'm missing. Everyone I've talked to that has used AMD and other brands really blows the horn for AMD. It's me, the car, or the fender or combination thereof. I'll post progress.
Thanks, Neal.

All my metal came from AMD and the fit was much closer. Course I have not seen any Barracuda fenders from them, so I am a little surprised Dart fenders are available and not Barracuda fenders. They (AMD) are about 20 minutes from where I live. How old are the fenders?
The right 1 is OE, this drivers side came friday this week.

But the rocker looks pushed in compared to the door. Something aint right there.

Seems easy enough to figure out the problem. Measure from the outer edge of the fender on the pass side to the door frame at a certain point on that fender. Now do the same on the drivers side and compare.

AMD has been making the Dart fenders for a number of years now. I have never heard of a complaint on fitment on any of their items, I have bought many myself.
Not sure what is the issue here..interesting.
I do wish they would make 67-69 Barracuda fenders that is for sure!

I d bet money a lot of it is the fender. If its touching the mounting point at the rocker and fits the hood pretty good height-wise....its probably too big. If it got hit in the side and the rocker moved it would have went in. So that would have helped that extra meat in the lower half of the fender. Amd parts take some work to make them fit right. But a lot of times they re a better alternative than rusty dented up originals

AMD has been making the Dart fenders for a number of years now. I have never heard of a complaint on fitment on any of their items, I have bought many myself.
Not sure what is the issue here..interesting.
I do wish they would make 67-69 Barracuda fenders that is for sure!

My bad did not realize that. Guess I expected to see e-coat at first fit.

Flattening that bow out of the fender might pull the body lines down and that might suck too. Get the gap closer at the door. Then the hood. And then go after the bow. Leave the bottom for last if you can help it. Make sure your body lines line up from the top down to the bottom

I wouldn't work a new fender to a wrecked, reworked door.

How does the inner splash shield fit against the new fender?
Make sure it isn't damaged or bent as well........
Some pics of the inside door area where the hinges mount would go a long way here.
It looks like to me the door and rocker are off.

Last edited:
I wouldn't work a new fender to a wrecked, reworked door.
My thought also. I'll do lots of measuring and look at the other dart here that I don't think has been hit. Wish I could just grab another door and try it. Sedan stuff kinda hard to come by. This turd is very rust free central ca. car. At first glance it didn't look too bad, but you know how that goes. big plus for resurecting it is it's a factory A.C. car. I converted it to V8 with ALL the front end parts from a 73 duster. Built a 360/727/8 3/4. Saved bodywork for last. Hindsight 20/20 as usual. I have to go to work till thurs. , will get more pics then. Thanks for all the input guys.
Thanks, Neal.

How does the inner splash shield fit against the new fender?
Make sure it isn't damaged or bent as well........
Some pics of the inside door area where the hinges mount would go a long way here.
It looks like to me the door and rocker are off.

I'd get a good door..then see how bad the rocker is..looks a little 'flat' to me. like said above..can't fit a 'new' fender to a known damaged door.

-
Back