New axle install

-

66Kooda

Reaction score
Need help: just installed a 8 3/4 housing i just had narrowed by Moser. Also bought new axles. I installed the new third member (4:10 spool).
Left side axle went in just fine- right won’t go in all the way to seat bearing. It does engage enough to turn opposite side wheel and driveshaft. Seems it only goes in about a 1/4“
Any ideas?

Aftermarket suppliers have both 30 and 35 spline axles for the 8.75- whichever ones you're using, are you sure they're both the same spline count, and didn't inadvertently get sent one of each?

I had this issue after rebuilding mine. Somehow lock the axle that is fully seated, either with the parking brake, or put a wheel on it and set it on the ground. Then with a pry bar between the wheel studs or something for leverage, turn the unseated axle while pushing in. It has something to do with the sure grip not being aligned.

It has something to do with the sure grip not being aligned
Agreeded for sure grip, has to do with the alignment of the inside parts.

. I installed the new third member (4:10 spool).

Op has a spool.

I suspect the housing might not be square.

OP could try loosening all the bolts and nuts and then get everything inserted and re tighten.

Lastly, does the OP have brake backing plates installed?

Ok guys I figured it out - Moser screwed up. The job sheet I sent was to cut 2” off each side of housing, supply new axles 2” shorter as well (if the old ones can’t be cut and resplined). They could not because of the taper. So somehow the new ones only net 1” shorter. So with one side in, the other side is hitting it. Guess I’m driving 2hrs Monday morning to have them fix it

It did suck, but they made it right. Cut and splined new ones this morning while I waited.

I used to live that close to Curry in so cal when I was true blue Ford.

I miss being that close to the companies I frequent.

-
Back