New bearings, difficult to rotate the crankshaft.

-
I like to put in crank, rods, and pistons with NO piston rings and see how it turns. This is after I check the crank for run out and check all the bearing clearances with dial bore guage and caliper. Plasti guage is better then nothing but you can't check for out of round and you can't check for how consistent the clearance is at the various locations on the bearings and crank. If you are assembling engines your self you really need to get the right tools and check those clearances correctly. Will save you a lot of grief down the road if you even make it on the road at all.

Could there be a bent or twisted connecting rod, that will tighten things up when torqued down.

My son got one rod cap on 180 degrees and boy was it tight. All good stuff here. When you tighten the cap nuts have two feeler gauges at the parting line pushing the two rods apart and tight to the crank. This will help to keep them square as you tighten as that wrench turning force can misalign the cap and rod.

My son got one rod cap on 180 degrees and boy was it tight. All good stuff here. When you tighten the cap nuts have two feeler gauges at the parting line pushing the two rods apart and tight to the crank. This will help to keep them square as you tighten as that wrench turning force can misalign the cap and rod.

Excellent info on the feeler gauges.

Perfect, I will test the method.
Thank you!

I would also verify the thrust bearing is within spec. I had one that needed to be thinned a bit, but it didn't show until I torqued the rods. Also. are you torqueing the rod bolts by foot-pounds, or measuring the rod bolt stretch. They produce different drag when rotating after torqueing.

I would also verify the thrust bearing is within spec. I had one that needed to be thinned a bit, but it didn't show until I torqued the rods. Also. are you torqueing the rod bolts by foot-pounds, or measuring the rod bolt stretch. They produce different drag when rotating after torqueing.

Measuring the rod bolt stretch???

I have never heard of anyone doing this.
In any of the data I have ever run across, you can "stretch" bolts when torqueing but never tightened a bolt based on measured bolt stretch. The standard application involving torque stretching required tightening of a fastener to "X" ft.Lb, or inch Lb, then adding an additional fraction of a turn. Have you done something other than this?

I used to have buddies show up "to help me" which meant they stood around and talked and drank beer while I worked on my car.One night I was installing a 4 speed and my friend showed up and started chatting.I bolted the flywheel,clutch pressure plate and bellhousing up then slid the trans in,bolted the shifter on and all the linkages,and when I went to install the clutch linkage I realised there was no throw out bearing.I laid down my tools and sat there and BS'd the night away because I knew there was no chance in hell I would do it right the second time either.I started locking the door when I needed to do something so I wouldnt get any distractions.

lol.

getting under a car and jimmying a 4speed into place is not the funnest thing sheesh. i hope they bought the beer at least?

Measuring the rod bolt stretch???

I have never heard of anyone doing this.
In any of the data I have ever run across, you can "stretch" bolts when torqueing but never tightened a bolt based on measured bolt stretch. The standard application involving torque stretching required tightening of a fastener to "X" ft.Lb, or inch Lb, then adding an additional fraction of a turn. Have you done something other than this?

Bolt stretch can be measured with proper equipment, Usually more expensive for a garage builder. The typical way for garage builders to install rods is just torque to spec.

The good rod bolts will have a little dimple on the top and bottom, that is where the stretch guage gets line up on. No torque spec, just tighten until you get to the proper bolt stretch. ARP sell them cheap, well as cheap as they can...

-
Back