New Bench Seat Covers hard to get?

-

painsinner

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I am looking for some bench seat covers, front and rear, for my 63 Valiant V200. Any idea where to get these (NOS or reproduction)? I emailed dantesparts.com and legendaryautointeriors.com. Both dont have for the 63 :angry7:. So any idea for a supplier? The front bench seat is a normal bench and the rear too, a little bit shorter sitting space there. I think they are the factory installed models. Will other covers fit, or which early A's used the same benches? Thx in advance.

I have the same problem with my 65 Dart 270, I can find bucket seat kits for 65 but not a split bench seat !

I'm in the same boat. I haven't been able to find them anywhere. I'm probably going to have an upholstery shop make some. I'm sure it's going to cost twice as much though.

I'm in the same boat. I haven't been able to find them anywhere. I'm probably going to have an upholstery shop make some. I'm sure it's going to cost twice as much though.

I had serveral quotes on having seat covers made for my 72 Duster bench seat. They ranged from $400 to $500 plus material.

Yes. Custommade by an upholstery-tailor. Gotta take loooots of money!

I had no issues getting a bench seat cover for my 68 Barracuda from Legendary interiors. I actually ordered the 67 pattern to go along with the 67 rear seat I had.

Don't know if they deal with older a-bodies or not.

Thank you! They can do a custom seat cover for 63. :thumleft: Nice eMail-reply. But shipping to Germany is 130$:banghead:

All your cars are a hundred years old so its not on any manufacturers agenda to make just a few persons happy. A restoration of an old Valiant isn't cost effective even from our view. Why not find some seats from a newer vehicle at a salvage yard and all you need to do is bring a tape measure. I put Lexus front and rear in my Signet which not only looks good but shed several pounds as well.
Signet005.jpg

Youre right with the money spending. ;-) Its about idealism. The problem here in Germany is that I cannot simply switch to other seats. If I would install some more "modern" ones, the vehicle registration office and the technical surveillance office will not give the car a street allowance. It has to be in "as possible" original condition for a "oldtimer" street allowance. Same for the engine and all other mods I like to do.

Like the way the seats look hotlines, but I like to keep my Dart or original, anyone know is a 66 dart seats the same as a 65? Legendary has a cover for a 66 split bench but not a 65

hi Painsinner ;
the total price +shipping is a lot cheaper than custom made . The dollar vs Euro makes it interresting to buy in the states .the only thing ( and i think it is for germany the same as for belgium )are the duty taxes , if you know someone in the states you can send the package there and then with an other company let it send to germany with a lower invoice . But if you can't do that it still is cheaper than custom made . You maybe can try the dutch mopar forum and ask your question here, the site is ; www.mopar.nl
good luck. Ivo

I work at a upholstery and auto glass shop. I have always wondered why upholstery was so high in price. After getting my feet wet on doing this type work last year I will have to defend the upholstery shops and say they earn their money! Now Im talking about making a new seat cover from scratch not the ones you purchase from Legendary. Just taking the old seat cover off, taking the old seat cover apart, using it as a pattern, etc.... is a time consuming job. To me it was a pain it the butt but Im a rookie. Then of course you have to cut the new pieces and sew it altogether and there is always something that isnt going to go correctly even with great care of matching the cuts.

So another words labor cost of $500 is cheap in my book. LOL

You should check out Layson's website. They have a catalog you can download that has tons and tons of stuff for the less popular cars out there. Very good source for "weird" parts and I know they stock seat covers for pretty much everything. Their site is hard to search with so just find the pdf file for the catalog and download it

http://www.laysons.com/Model.cfm?nCorpID=1&nMakeID=3

On the top right next to the banner where it says "catalog free download"

SMS quoted me this for my 66 sedan: Provided you send in the old, original covers, we can do them with the correct materials and the embossed design for the upper backrest. Price for front and rear will be: $1395.00. I personally can't find original seat covers anywhere else on the internet.

The embossed design really drives the cost up; it requires special tooling and hand craftsmanship. If you can live without the embossed design, you can buy the material from SMS and a good local upholstery shop can do the actual upholstery work for you.

The embossed design really drives the cost up; it requires special tooling and hand craftsmanship. If you can live without the embossed design, you can buy the material from SMS and a good local upholstery shop can do the actual upholstery work for you.

Hey Did you ever find a more cost-effective solution to a '66 Gap Cap?

1. More cost-effective than what? The caps I had were highly cost-effective. They're all gone now.

2. Why are we talking about gas caps in a thread about upholstery?

Thanks yeah they're pretty good. They do have some that fit. But non that are OEM colors for me. Right now Im thinking Ill just hold off and spend the $630 at SMS auto fabrics and then have someone reupholster my seats to the original trim LIQ code. About $400 more but, worth it for me as I plan on using it for principal work in movies.

Cool. I am NOT doing a full restore, so I will go ahead and order some "custom" seat covers from them and see how the work out.

sb

-
Back