New bolt in 5 spd from Mcloud

-

19DART66

Reaction score
I heard that Mcloud introduced a new bolt in 5 spd for Mopars with no floor mods. Its call the M800 5spd I think! Does any body know something about this new trans.

called them today, $2300 with shifter, available March of next year, no cutting necessary, gear ratios are:
1. 2.95 or 2.66
2. 1.99
3. 1.34
4. direct drive
5. .63
claim it has withstood 1000 pounds of torque. final stages of testing.....

Wow, those ratios are fantastic, and that tall .63 overdrive allows really deep gears on the street. A 4.56 gear set would give 2.87:1 in top gear with that transmission. Looks like we now have the heavy-duty OD 5-speed transmission for classic Mopars!

Shoot, if I knew I was gonna get that 5th gear, I wouldnt have pussed out with 3.91

hey guys,
i got a little excited upon hearing about this tranny, but i think we'll have to wait and see how it performs...i saw pictures of the gearset and as far as i can see it is a faceplated gearset and is also straight cut gears- not everyone's cup of tea for street driving (though i wouldnt mind it)...also, the box is being produced in taiwan which is why it is so unbelievably cheap, and i have also heard that the gears themselves are quite thin for what they are...now im not saying that i take this info as gospel, im just bringing to lite a few points about it that ive heard...abodyjoe was saying that gm versions should be out in march 2010 so i say we let those gm boys be the guinea pigs for this thing to see if it will really hold up...for some reason im starting to feel that its too good to be true- 2300 bucks for a 5 speed OD tranny that fits in stock locations and handles 1000lb of torque- somethings gotta give...but really, this thing has actually stopped me dead in my tracks in search for a used tko and has made me want to wait to see how this thing does instead...hopefully it is what they say it is!

looking at the pictures I highly doubt that's going to fit in an A body or pre 71 B body without floor pan mods ...

looking at the pictures I highly doubt that's going to fit in an A body or pre 71 B body without floor pan mods ...

do we even know if thats the mopar version? they say they will make them to fit gm, ford and mopar. thats most likely a gm unit in my opinion. i think we should wait till they come out and then we can judge if they will fit or not. then who knows what if any it will take to bolt one in. :)

This does seem to good to be true. This is what I have been holding out for though. Looks a lot like an A833 to me so hopefully it will fit with out hacking on any thing.

do we even know if thats the mopar version? they say they will make them to fit gm, ford and mopar. thats most likely a gm unit in my opinion. i think we should wait till they come out and then we can judge if they will fit or not. then who knows what if any it will take to bolt one in. :)

Joe take a good look at it , it's the Mopar unit , look at the front mounting plate, only the 833 has that bolt pattern.

In one of the pictures you can see another trans in the background with a different shifter and front mounting plate .

I wonder if Mcleod will be at PRI , I might be going .

Joe in the link above the first picture is not a mopar trans , the one below the video is a mopar trans .

anyone got an E body with a 4 speed ? how close is the trans to the where the T bar X member goes above the trans ? the shift rail and the cover stick pretty hi up in that area ?

They did say they have a long and short tail version for the mopar trans in the video , I'm guessing the short tail is the A body , would be nice to see a picture of that one and what their 70 down B body trans tail looks like ?

The main problem with a TKO in a muslce car era mopar is the internal rail shifter and it being on top of the tailhousing .

With straight cut gears it will be strong but noisy. I wonder how it really fits?

I don't know about "Mcloud", but I doubt McLeod would put their name on junk. They've been around too long for BS crap. I want to change my Demon completely from drag race to a more streetable ride aka pro touring. Either that or I'll off the Demon for a 1970 Charger or a 1970 Challenger 'vert and build the car I really want.

Wylde1.

HPIM0436.jpg

If the McLeod trans actually only costs $2300 and actually will withstand 800-1000 ft lbs of torque, I will be doing whatever mods are necessary to make it fit my car.

Mike

helical cut gears, very thin gear width, no faceplate/proshift option available, made overseas....have a feeling its not going to be what they say it is..they're doing street testing as we speak, but i have a feeling this tranny is gonna be an overdrive replacement for the resto guys...we'll see though...Mcleod has put their name on junk before (When they changed ownership) and they cant afford to again in my opinion

I'm building a Duster clone w/ a 727 because the auto came in a "package deal".
My car has a clutch pedal and I hope this new box is as good as it sounds, cuz I want to put a stick in it, and I don't want to use the 833 that I have with my 4.10's. I could even use the 4.56's or 4.88's to gear it right.
It may even force the other 5 spd prices down.
NICE!

i was under the impression there were some gear ratio choices,,,,i was hoping for a deper first gear,,,im currently switching out my 4.56 for a brand new built 3.91 to reduce my cruising RPM,, guess i could always go back to the 4.56 if this trany is what they say it is,,,

check out the mcleod forum as there is a question about this on the SEMA show post...has the info about the ratios and stuff...like i said, im not so sure anymore its going to perform the way they say it does, but we'll have to see...they are gonna have to live up to a big claim on this thing

I think that there will be a choice of 1st gear ratios, around 2.95 or 2.66. The OD is .63. I plan on the 2.95 with a 4.10 gear.

2.95 first gear isnt exactly neck snapping,

my 65 formula S tranny is a 3.09 first gear,,not that its that far away from 2.95,just lok less then it really is i guess,,

the older doug nash/jerico trannys have a 3.06 first gear,,

the the tremec TKO have a choice of 2.87 or 3.27

the new richmonds have a 3.09 i believe,,

have to run an rpm test to see what the real difference is

i guess i beter start searching info on this tranny and call red roberts at mc cleod

i also wonder what the input shaft is,,,can we still use our current clutch or have to run a MC cloed clutch,,,there famous for that stuff,,,with there clutch set ups, nothing interchanges

-
Back