New bolt in 5 spd from Mcloud

-
2.95 first gear isnt exactly neck snapping,

my 65 formula S tranny is a 3.09 first gear,,not that its that far away from 2.95,just lok less then it really is i guess,,

the older doug nash/jerico trannys have a 3.06 first gear,,

the the tremec TKO have a choice of 2.87 or 3.27

the new richmonds have a 3.09 i believe,,

have to run an rpm test to see what the real difference is

i guess i beter start searching info on this tranny and call red roberts at mc cleod

i agree with the first gear thing on the mcleod's but atleast you still have the overdrive if you want a big rear end gear...also with the tko's, what seperates the 500 and 600 is mainly the first gear and its strength, with the 500 having the 3.27 first gear (supposedly weaker) and the 600 the 2.95 i believe it is...i keep meaning to call red to ask him about it, but i find it useless until they've done more real world testing (which as far as i know they havent yet except for the famous dyno run where they broke the dyno and not the tranny)...and if the current clutches for your app dont interchange that would definatly suck:angry7:

they dont seem to reply to fast on there own site on this topic,,,,mc cleod site

they dont seem to reply to fast on there own site on this topic,,,,mc cleod site
I called them a month or so ago and more or less got the brush off from them. Would not be surprised if it never shows up.......

thats sad to hear,,,i was really considering it,,if every thing they say is true,,, by the time my street rod is back on the road ill be ready to do soem re working on my barracuda,,,,maybe it will be out by then,

Though I pull no weight it would seem to me that a 2:66 first gear would run very nice with 3:55 rear gears. Around 1993 I ran a Doug Nash 5 speed in a 65 Barracuda using a 2:93 rear ratio and it came out of the chute like it was on fire. I have a T-56 6 speed I am considering doing something with.

2.66 IS like a stock 1st gear ratio in a mopar trans during the mid 1960s,,,they went to 2.45 in 1970,,, they used a 3.09 in the 1965 formula S cudas and dart chargers,, also the 3.09 1st gear in the over drive factory trans launching the car like a rocket,, i currently run a 1965 formula S 4 speed with the 3.09 1st gear and i love it,,,ide hate to go to a stock type 1st gear with my tall tires 33 inch,,

i was running 4.56 rear gears for about 11 years,,,and with the 33 tall tires it wasnt bad at high way speeds,, this season i switched over to a 3.91 rear gear and dropped 600 RPM on the high way,,and still have plenty out of the hole with the 3.09 1st gear,,, a perfect 5 spped box for me would be in the 2.95 to 3.09 1st gear,, or maybe even a steep 3.27 tremmmec first gear,,,and a .82 5th or a .77 5ft..

-
Back