New bucket seat cover installation advice?

-

1MeanA

Reaction score
I'm converting '71 E body buckets for installation into my '70 Dart. I ordered new Legendary covers and found some '70 metal hinge covers and tracks ($$). The foams look pretty good. I was thinking I would install new burlap under the foam. Has anybody put something over top of the foam ie muslin, foam, etc.? Any details or words of advice on doing that? Just thinking ahead as the covers are still months away.

Put a dry-cleaning bag over the guts, before trying to slide the covers on, then pull the bag out .
Good luck, cheers

I think E body seats are a bit wide and a tight fit in an A body. As for the covers
you can add new foam or replace sections and re shape it to fit the covers.
It's not difficult

I think E body seats are a bit wide and a tight fit in an A body. As for the covers
you can add new foam or replace sections and re shape it to fit the covers.
It's not difficult
I thought the frames and foam were all the same for 70/71. I guess I will find out.

Once I fit the covers I will see if they are tight or loose. I'm wondering if anyone had to glue an extra layer of 1/4" foam to make them fit better.

A recent thread may be of interest........

Hey 1MeanA,

Here's a link that should help you a lot.

I used info from these videos and boy did I save myself a lot of headaches.

Great info here.

Best of luck with it from a fellow Canuk!!

Installation Videos Archive | Legendary Auto Interiors

BTW: Here's a pic of my finished interior in my Barracuda. Deluxe interior , upgraded rallye seat option, door cards, headliner, carpet and trim, all from Legendary. You just can't beat these guys for quality and product support!

Also, you may have already done this but great time to repaint the frame and replace or fix broken or fatigued springs.

dscn5382-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I like to zip tie the springs together to make them firmer when sitting down.

I can't for the life of me remember what it's called but I used this black canvas type nylon material in place of the burlap on the bottom. It doesn't break down or get dusty and crusty like burlap does and it does a better job. Got it off Amazon.

You'll likely want to beef up the foam if you're planning on going with used foam. First time you sit on the seat with the original foam, you'll be disappointed in the support. I'd recommend at least gluing a topper foam pad on top of the existing foam to give it a little more support.

I got smart and disassembled one seat bottom only so I can use the other as reference :) It might be awhile before I can fully reassemble. I'm not even sure the listing wires go in the same place for the new seat covers. As you can see from the pics the foam is ok but torn in the slots. I could probably repair it. The burlap is totally shot. The seat bottom is quite complex as there are transverse wires running from side to side and they are woven through the burlap. On top of that are the fancy listing wires.

I also watched 8 videos on rebuilding seat tracks. :realcrazy: Its a good thing I have 1 1/2 sets as they are going to need a lot of work.
IMG_2197.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2193.jpg

Found an interesting video with some good ideas. The seats are a few years later so not exactly the same.

Could come out of the same factory as the Legendary foam. Who knows?

After all the work it takes to rebuild your seats, do you really want to risk it?

Once the cheaper foam flattens out, then the seat covers start to move around more, distressing the stitching.

Result is your new covers go to **** in no time.

Stick with Legendary or use some high density foam to repair the original foam as described by the other members.

Has anyone had a bad experience themselves with the PUI or OER seat foams? Legendary foams are $500 Cdn plus oversize shipping so I will likely cover them like in the video.

Has anyone had a bad experience themselves with the PUI or OER seat foams? Legendary foams are $500 Cdn plus oversize shipping so I will likely cover them like in the video.
After looking at your foams, I would cover them like in the video as well.

Good quality foam is available at most local upholstery shops in different thicknesses
...it's a bit pricey but necessary.

I bought covers an foam from legendary , I am going to be doing soon and don't recommend going cheap on foam , as by the time you put into it an realize you might ort not should have , its to late , yeah pricey but I am doing 2 buckets an a rear fold down , using ebodies up front for buckets an would not skimp after all , once is enough

Sure I could not 'skimp' and pay a pro $1k+ to do it but that's not going to happen :)

-
Back