New build

-

Stucker152

Reaction score
So I am bringing some life into my 318. Starting with a comp cam 20-223-3 and some new 901-16 springs. Putting on a weiand action plus intake and a edelbrock 600 carb. This is my first build and I have my engine stripped to the block. What other recommendations can I get? I planned on a peutronix distributor flamethrower 3 and coil. Unsure if I need different pushrods with that cam. A five blade fan to replace the old one. I think I will get the block honed and cleaned and gasket match but unsure if I should go any further bore/stroke? I didn't plan on buying different heads. Also putting in a torque conv and gears once I figure out what's in the rear now. I also bought long tubes and am building a full dual exhaust. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

increase the compression (different pistons) on it and it will really wake up that 318 or you always stroke it.

I think stroking a 'teen to a 390 is about $1700 for the kit from Hughes...surely there are a couple less expensive ones, but as with anything, you get what you pay for. If you buy some zero deck pistons, they start around $350-400 for KBs, and go up from there.

What's the end goal for this build? 350? 400? Torque? RPM limit? Going in your '75 Dart? Budget?

EDIT: just remembered, there's a sticky on this section for 318 combos submitted by members, and a few from magazine articles...check it out too :)

Just looked up the cam...XE268H-ought to be a nice bumpstick in a mild 318. With a good flowing induction, and proper exhaust should make about 350fwhp I would imagine. I know Hot Rod did their 318 junkyard jewel build a while back with a "seasoned" short block, ported 302 castings, RPM intake, long tubes, etc etc and a COMP 275DEH cam...got 370ish IIRC, but we all know what bench racing gets us...

I don't really have a goal I guess. 350-400hp would be great. With around the same torque. It's not a strip car so nothing crazy. Budget is prolly another grand or so. Ya it's going in my dart. My stock pistons are flat top and the motor only had 14k original miles. So no real wear and the pistons are pretty close to top. How much are those kb's really gonna help me? Do u have a part number for them? There are quite a few different kinds.

...and the pistons are pretty close to top.

How close? Have you measured with a dial indicator? .030" doesn't really "look" like much until you measure it. If you're < 0.040" under the deck I'd be really surprised to be honest...318s were always built as bread and butter engines with lower compression and zero performance options, so no money was spent on researching and developing better pistons for them from the factory. And with manufacturing tolerances being what they were, some engines were as much as 0.080" in the hole because the decks were marginally taller than spec distance of 9.6"

The KB167 is the flat top piston they offer...it's a hypereutectic flat top with generous valve reliefs for bigger cams. They come really close to the deck by comparison to stockers...and that helps your quench. Quench = turbulence in the combustion chamber, and reduces potential for detonation even with raised compression and iron heads; it also reduces need for heavily advanced timing. In a nutshell, the closer you can run the piston to the cylinder head deck surface without touching the better. Generically speaking, a street engine operating below 6500rpm with stock rods and < 3.5" stroke can be run about .030-.035". Better rods can facilitate a closer quench measurement...sometimes as close as ~0.020".

If you want to keep the stock bottom end to include the pistons, I'd personally recommend squaring/decking the block to blueprint spec (9.6") and running a thinner head gasket to put the pistons closer to the heads. If you are running stock heads-what year/casting number? Do they have the relieved chamber? If you can, maybe pick up a set of 302s, do a little bowl work, drop in some 360 valves (1.88/1.6) and a clean up cut, then bolt them on. Otherwise, you could also pick up a set of Magnums and do that conversion...only problem there is converting the valvetrain and unless you bought a set of EQs, you'd have to buy the Magnum intake too. All these parts add up quickly.

Keep in mind, this is only MY opinion...you can go whatever direction you'd like-just do some research and you'll likely find an avenue you can afford, and will give you what you're looking for. Also keep in mind, the greater amount of power you want, you'll have to upgrade everything else to work well with it...e.g., stall, gears, better brakes, subframes, suspension, etc. If you build a 350-370fwhp 318, you'll soon find any weak links...

...if all you have to work with is $1k...man, you better start saving...there's more than one way to skin a cat, and you can find great deals on here, but with such a limited budget, you'll do well just to finish the engine. If you get the block cleaned, honed, replace cam bearings, freeze plugs, heads rebuilt, new rings/bearings, etc you're looking at a few hundred right there.

once upon a time, a veteran hot rodder told me count up all the parts and labor costs you know you'll need for whatever project you're building, then double it...there's how much you'll spend.

I built a nice little 318 many years ago that ran like a raped ape. I did the whole 9 yards to the block 30 over and used a really nice 340 forged crank and 340 rods. I put a fairly conservative cam 268h and a set of hyper flat tops. I had a set of 318 heads worked over with 202 160's which in retrospect hurt the performance but at the time the aftermarket on heads just wasn't there. Go with a set of iron x Indy heads from Brian at IMM and that 318 will make some power and rpm. I ran a weiand stealth intake that worked well. I'd go with a 390 stroker kit now if I could do it all over. The torque will be waaaaay better so that would be my suggestion. I've got that same 318 block that's fully machined and pickled if you need one. Mine only had about 1000 miles on it before my project took a turn. Pm me if you have questions.

So I was looking at doing a set of 302 heads with better valves and trying my hand at porting. Would I be wasting my money? Is it near the same price as buying a pair of aluminum heads? My budget was 1k for either some head work, pistons or both or any other suggestion for other upgrades. i already have my cam,carb,intake,headers,ignition,fan,springs,fan, torque converter,gears.

If your shortblock is in real good shape and just needs a quick re ring and bearing with no machine work, I would get a set of 302 heads. If you get pistons then you need to balance the rotating assembly, you might need to bore the block if they don't offer a stock sized piston. The machine work will add up REAL quick.

302 heads you could pick up for a reasonable price, do minor work to and see decent results. valve springs would probably be a good idea with that cam.

Magnum heads might be a good route too.

I feel aluminum heads would be overkill unless you dump a bunch of money into pistons or a stroker.

member saetun has a teener with 302 heads 360 valves stock rotator xe268 it runs really good.....

So to bore, tank, pressure test, square and level the block. Buy and instal kb167 pistons. Plus polish crank, cam bearings, rod bearings. It would cost be an estimate of 1300 from my local machine shop. Is that reasonable?

Sounds reasonable. The trick,the KB; pistons. Do they know about the extra needed top ring gap. And the rings(cast/moly,accounted for? KB pistons, will fail ,otherwise.

They said the price on the pistons was 302. I'm sure that's without rings. But that doesn't sound right because summit has the 167 kit for 412. Has anyone used the kb399?

-
Back