New cam for my 318 : 68 Fury "Kristine"

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
Will do some test with my flat tappet 318 ( 1971 year ) that is in my 68 fury III , ill run a modified 2bbl intake and run another 4bbl intake and 4bbl carb , Guy lost the cam card but its the only specs i have , bought it for cheap , with a double timing chain : i believe its a elgin or old crower cam , i dont know if ill upgrade my 318s springs...since its a bit stronger than a 340 cam and lot less stronger than a Mp purple cam : what do you guys think about these specs!

Screenshot_20230425-224153.jpg

Screenshot_20230425-224210.jpg

Do you have exhaust rotators? That's going to be a concern no matter what cam you choose, but with an intake closing of 70 degrees ABDC, the only way i'd run that cam in a 318 in a '68 fury is with a stroker crank and increased compression (domed pistons if I could find them!), aftermarket heads, and at least 3.91 gears...

They were advertised at 9.2 I believe, but like all Chrysler engines they blueprint out a good bit lower.

That cam needs better springs to keep up with the higher rpm, small valves or not, the 318 springs are not enough.
But as Garret said, that cam, for the engine to not be a dog down low, needs a lot more Scr, or a stall over ~3000rpm. probably a lil more. And not a hope in hell will it be a runner with 2.94 type gears, and a stock stall.

so right away, that cheap cam is gonna cost you
pistons/boring, lifters and springs, a hi-stall, gears, headers, a Free-flowing dual exhaust, and a 4bbl induction system. It could also cost you a better fuel system, a better cooling system, and better stinking brakes, plus a whole whack of small stuff.
Then when the trans fries, there's that too, lol.
Sooooooo, what's the budget?
Leave the cam in the box.
There's lots of better places to spend your hard-earned money.

An eBay turbo setup and some 340/360 port heads could really move things in the right direction there. If I had a C body and even just half the budget to do it, I’d be looking at setting up a Third Gen Hemi to go in it. As far as a cruiser and a runner, it could work really well for that platform with proper planning.

I dont mind putting a higher stall and 3.23 gears or more , i wanted the chop chop , but the more it goes i will go towards one of my magnums that i have laying around....

I would love to put 340 360 heads but it looks complicated ,with the fact that it drops the compression by one point + if i want to mill the heads , i dont want to have problems with milling the intake and playing with special pushrods....never did all of this

I think she would like a more or less stock 400, and I vote, an A500 with 3.91s. Then raise the whole thing, with just a mischievous hint of a rake, and install monster tires. Finally cross the 5 and 7 wires and idle her down to 500 .
Badaboom!

Not a good cam for such a heavy car/small engine that will be driven on the street. Over a cliff, the acceleration will be terrific....

Take what you have and put a 4 barrel on that setup.

Give it the fuel that it needs, with the stock cam. Just doing that the tone of the engine will deepen up, equating to more power.

You will also have the added touch of the secondaries opening up > Fun, Fun.

Screenshot_20200807-121328_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

You should think about an RV spec cam for that setup. It'll have more torque down low and get that boat outta the hole with better acceleration. 65'

Product Features:
  • RPM-Range 2000-5800
  • 1.5:1 Rocker Ratio
  • Grind No./Type 264-Mega Hydraulic
  • Tremendous Torque
  • Good Mid Range Power
  • 9-10.5:1 Compression
  • Good Idle
  • Stock Converter
  • 3.23-3.70 Axle Ratio
  • Up To 625 CFM Carb

• Mega-Cams™
  • Hyd.
  • Valve Lift Int/Ext. 0.450
  • Valve Lash Hot Int/Ext. 0.000
  • ADV Duration Int/Ext. 264
  • 0.050 Duration Int/Ext. 214
  • Lobe Center 108 ****************************Nice lump for sure but very close to the cam that i just bought , eard that the whiplash doesnt need new springs , have a hard time believing that

I would love to put 340 360 heads but it looks complicated ,with the fact that it drops the compression by one point + if i want to mill the heads , i dont want to have problems with milling the intake and playing with special pushrods....never did all of this

You mill both sides of the head, intake manifold is not milled. That cam is too big, your 2 barrel carb will be whistling with all the air running through it.

Mill the heads...but how much it needs to be removed to bump in compression and not affect anything ?
You mill both sides of the head, intake manifold is not milled. That cam is too big, your 2 barrel carb will be whistling with all the air running through it

i wanted the chop chop , but the more it goes i will go towards one of my magnums that i have laying around....
If one of those is a 5.9 magnum, that will be a tremendous step in the right direction. A Hughes spring and retainer kit and a light cam upgrade (without having to upgrade springs, even a 360 LA hydraulic roller combined with the magnum 1.6:1 rocker ratio works very well!) along with a performance distributor curve and a magnum air gap with a 670 or larger carburetor would perform very well for that.

Last edited:
-
Back