New camshaft install questions

-
Thanks for looking into that ns9TheHam. First the lube - yes I have plenty of good cam lube I can use, that part is the easy part ! Now, you mentioned 924-16 springs, but the recommended springs for this cam are the 995-16 springs, which I purchased with the cam. And even without the damper and inner spring, like you say, I feel they might be too heavy to run in the cam. I have other springs I can use, but I am glad that someone mentioned the bind heights etc, so the old factory 318 springs are definitely out. I am not using longer valves and not using beehive springs, and I am using Comp Cams retainers and locks. I will have to look up the installed height of the springs, but I think they were about 1.7". I think you can actually buy special break-in springs for cams - they are designed light and with plenty of tolerance for high lift cams to prevent bind. But for a one-off job, I would not buy them.
OK, good; somehow, I keep ending up at the wrong cams on the Comp site; I see the 995-16's now. That is a lot better as for bind and is in the right range for the stock valves, etc. It is still a bit stiff for my personal limit for being 'kinda' cautious for break-in (300lbs max at peak lift), but I bet if you took out the inner, you would be below that. If you have a friendly local shop, see if they will measure one for you at 1.650" and 1.125", with and without the inner spring.

And, I am sure you can peruse the Sealed Power and Melling spring listings to find something that will work and you can buy at RockAuto for $2-3 each.

"And here is a link to a printable degree wheel; I just glued it to a 1/4' thick piece of poster board. Cut the center hole with maximum accuracy and you will be set.
The Machinery Cleanery Universal Timing Disc, Degree Wheel, Downloadable - Goniometro per Messa in Fase dei Motori a 4 Tempi -"

I appreciate the info and the link ! That is an economical way to do it for sure. I might even be able to buy a cheapy dial indicator from ebay that only has to last one session ! Being in Australia though, even 16 x US$3 springs from Rock Auto will end up costing me around Au$120. I do have other springs here and will determine their strength at a machine shop as you suggested.

When I installed my cam I used a degree wheel. It's a Bullet regrind on a 110 intake center line. It came in at 109 when I checked it, so I checked it 4 times. When I called them. Their answer was " good to go, it will make very little difference. This was a mild cam so lift wasn't a big problem. My after market harmonic balancer was dead on. It runs great!

When I installed my cam I used a degree wheel. It's a Bullet regrind on a 110 intake center line. It came in at 109 when I checked it, so I checked it 4 times. When I called them. Their answer was " good to go, it will make very little difference. This was a mild cam so lift wasn't a big problem. My after market harmonic balancer was dead on. It runs great!

Thanks for the input Robbie, I would have guessed too that 1 degree might not make a huge difference but at least you got good practice at doing it. I would pay you to check mine if we were closer !

Thanks for the input Robbie, I would have guessed too that 1 degree might not make a huge difference but at least you got good practice at doing it. I would pay you to check mine if we were closer !
Send me your credit card and I'll be right there!! It's getting cold here...LOL

hehe, you can have my CC but there is not much on it ! Not sure how cold it is there but here if you like hot it is getting up to 34 deg C.
Yeah, thats a little too hot. I spent a year in Vietnam and that kind of heat gets old quick. Went on R&R with a bunch of Aussies to Taipei, what a wild time. You guys know how to have a good time. Good luck with your build. Double check everything. My cam is a reground roller, seat pressure is 125lbs and 310 open. No break in problems with rollers!!

Not sure how cold it is there but here if you like hot it is getting up to 34 deg C.
Some snow in our region. Warm enough to work on a car, not saying how happy one might be doing so.....

Gonna be 72 here today. On Christmas Eve. That's just stupid.

the comp 995-16 set is a 990 outer with damper and a 975 inner. the 990 outer with damper is rated 80 lbs. @ 1.650" . stock your heads are actually said to have installed height of 1 11/16". so measure your actual height, lets call it 1.690", 990 spring is 250 lbs./in. rate, so at 1.690" it will be 70 lbs. closed and 201lbs. open with .525". You are all good to break in with the 995 set with the inner removed, no need to remove damper, it adds no load, and is not easy to remove

the comp 995-16 set is a 990 outer with damper and a 975 inner. the 990 outer with damper is rated 80 lbs. @ 1.650" . stock your heads are actually said to have installed height of 1 11/16". so measure your actual height, lets call it 1.690", 990 spring is 250 lbs./in. rate, so at 1.690" it will be 70 lbs. closed and 201lbs. open with .525". You are all good to break in with the 995 set with the inner removed, no need to remove damper, it adds no load, and is not easy to remove
Good work on the numbers there MHR

-
Back