New car mileage

-
Dad had a 86 Lincoln continental. Fuel injected 302. Averaged 24-26. On the hi way. He had some shoulder wear on his tires and was asking for advise on replacement as he was going on a 2000 mile trip. The center of the tire had a lot of tread. I recommended running them over inflated For the trip and replace them after the trip. He got 31 miles to the gallon on that trip. Must have been like bicycle tires going across the desert.

Technically they can’t go backwards. EPA. Demands increases in fuel mileage every year but it kind of a shell game.
They demand increased fuel economy division wide so they can make these mid sized sedans with 17 city mpg if they make 1 econobox Spark to offset that dog. Im gonna look for a Suzuki Swift/Geo Metro..wonder how many of those are left on the road? 400HP out of a 2.0? That sounds higher than a Porsche! No politics here it's just weird that people buy these boring midsized cars that get lackluster mileage and then ***** about $5.00/gallon gas. There was a Toyota truck that I was looking at and the 22R motor was rated 1mpg better than the V6 and had 60 ft/lbs less torque. Like a big lumbering V8 doing the same work as a turbo 4 at the same mileage but lasting 5 times longer. Ah. The 34 mpg rated feather Duster...Yeah right!

They demand increased fuel economy division wide so they can make these mid sized sedans with 17 city mpg if they make 1 econobox Spark to offset that dog. Im gonna look for a Suzuki Swift/Geo Metro..wonder how many of those are left on the road? 400HP out of a 2.0? That sounds higher than a Porsche! No politics here it's just weird that people buy these boring midsized cars that get lackluster mileage and then ***** about $5.00/gallon gas. There was a Toyota truck that I was looking at and the 22R motor was rated 1mpg better than the V6 and had 60 ft/lbs less torque. Like a big lumbering V8 doing the same work as a turbo 4 at the same mileage but lasting 5 times longer. Ah. The 34 mpg rated feather Duster...Yeah right!
The slant 6 could be a gas hog too

Thy claimed the light weight bumper brackets and hood support as well as a 1bbl and a recurved distributor got it mid 30's ...lies. Even the new cars state "actual mileage will probably be less, only use them for comparisons". @mpgmike would know. Buddy had a first gen Duramax (M.A.N. injectors?) shortbed and he swore he could get low 40's unloaded on the highway. Motor hydro-locked twice from cracked injectors, 2 warranty blocks.

Lots of the weight gain is also from a desire for better safety.

Karen wants a taller vehicle so she can see better and Chad wants a truck that makes up for his lack of girth. Oems keep needing to make Karen's car taller and stronger so that Chad's quits flattening Karen's. Now we have trucks that require a frakking ladder to get to the bed, and crossovers taller than any truck made before 1996. Then they went and made the headlights out of friggin laser beams.. Ugh.

The oems get to pump out a few EVs as compliance cars in smog cities (where they get extra credit) and maintain their CAFE standard despite a fleet of 15mpg clunkers causing the crappy air in the first place. Shell game indeed.

Mpg requirements are dumb. Let customers decide how much gas they want to buy. If we care about air, vehicle should simply have a reasonable emissions per mile limit. If an OE figures out how to burn a hundred gallons of gas and produce nothing but rainbow stew, who cares?

Every single modern 4 banger i have driven has felt anemic

And im not talking about struggling to hit 80 on the on ramp, im talking struggling to keep up with moderate traffic
I daily a 2010 Nissan Sentra Spec V, 200 hp, and a 6 speed manual. It’s the 2.5 out of the Altima with higher compression. Decent bottom end for a 4 cyl, and pulls hard from 3600-7000 rpm in the first 4 gears. I average 27 mpg in city driving, but it runs premium fuel. Not earth shattering by any means but much better than an automatic civic IMO.

My SRT4 Neon was fun, the only car I ever had where adding power added fuel economy. I averaged 22 mpg stock with an all hwy best of 28 mpg. Slapped a 60 mm turbo on there and added methanol injection and my average went up to 25 mpg with a all hwy best of 38 mpg! It ran low 12’s with slicks which was awesome in 2005.

D5E6290F-7B20-44AD-BDC8-C3C363AF88AC.jpeg

It takes a certain amount of hp to move a certain weight and aerodynamics down the road at speed, Mpg is down to how efficient the engine can make that power at part throttle which is somewhat narrow between engines.

Had recent rental car experience with two new cars that got great gas milage:
2022 Audi A4, drove from Indy to the UP of Michigan and back for the labor day Mackinaw Bridge walk. The Audi A4 was a fun ride, all the engine power that could ever be needed, quiet. great driving car. Got 42+ MPG cruising the highway at 70-75-80 mph.
2022 Toyota Camary, drove from Indy to Nashville TN and back a few weekends ago, meeting up with friends for a weekend out. Nice driving car, comfortable driver. Not as sporty as the A4, but the Camry also got highway mileage in the 40's and has an adult friendly back seat.
I bet that either of those cars would get 45+ highway mpg at a steady 65 mph highway.

Last edited:
Lots of the weight gain is also from a desire for better safety.

Karen wants a taller vehicle so she can see better and Chad wants a truck that makes up for his lack of girth. Oems keep needing to make Karen's car taller and stronger so that Chad's quits flattening Karen's. Now we have trucks that require a frakking ladder to get to the bed, and crossovers taller than any truck made before 1996. Then they went and made the headlights out of friggin laser beams.. Ugh.

The oems get to pump out a few EVs as compliance cars in smog cities (where they get extra credit) and maintain their CAFE standard despite a fleet of 15mpg clunkers causing the crappy air in the first place. Shell game indeed.

Mpg requirements are dumb. Let customers decide how much gas they want to buy. If we care about air, vehicle should simply have a reasonable emissions per mile limit. If an OE figures out how to burn a hundred gallons of gas and produce nothing but rainbow stew, who cares?
I'm all for getting regulation OUT of the automotive industry. The government has never known how to build a vehicle.

I'm all for getting regulation OUT of the automotive industry. The government has never known how to build a vehicle.
And I remember the Vega's and Pinto's of the 70's. Competition within the industry got us better cars, But 50 years down the road the last reincarnation of the Dodge Dart was not much to write home about. Evidence that corporate vehicle planners can still get it wrong.

And this is a bit off topic, but what amazes me today is the number of 8 to 10 year old Ram and Chevy full size truck that have significant rust around the rear wheel wells. It seems that the manufacturers have been able to fix the rust problems on cars, but not trucks. I would be PO'D if my 10 year old truck got rusty.
And this is likley something seen in the Northern states and not so much on the South.

Had recent rental car experience with two new cars that got great gas milage:
2022 Audi A4, drove from Indy to the UP of Michigan and back for the labor day Mackinaw Bridge walk. The Audi A4 was a fun ride, all the engine power that could ever be needed, quiet. great driving car. Got 42+ MPG cruising the highway at 70-75-80 mph....
I don't see how as its only rated 34 mpg on the highway which is probably pretty accurate burning premium at far less than 70-80 mph.

I was in the car,,,did not see you. Have you actually driven one?
I was just pointing out that people's account of actual mileage is often inaccurate. I have owned over 10 Audi, BMW and Porsches if that matters to you.

I was just pointing out that people's account of actual mileage is often inaccurate. I have owned over 10 Audi, BMW and Porsches if that matters to you.
Thanks for your evaluation of my basic math skills.
And WO HO to your car ownership history. I have actually met a few non assuming German car owners. Present company excluded.

The last three 2-3 year old vehicles (all Mopars) I've bought have gotten better mileage than their EPA estimates.

The last 2 have gotten their highway EPA estimate in mixed driving.

With the Renegade and the kona, the car's cruise control can do a MUCH better job of figuring our where to set the throttle for a given speed.

If I use my foot, and observe "real time" MPG and then activate cruise, there is an immediate 10+ MPG increase.

...and the EVIC in that car is right on the money as far as calculating MPG.
The 03 PT didn't have one, so I got a "ScanGauge" and checked it with math.
The 2000 Dakota is .5 MPG lower per tank than calculated, so it's actually better than it thinks it is.

Both the Renegade and the kona have "adult friendly" back seats.

Douchebag excoworker bragged about his mileage in a Colorado.....said he got 50 MPG I laughed and said you sure that's not KMPG? He pouted and said "no I was driving in the US". Yep douchebag lol
One of the most arrogant facks I have ever met in my life.

And this is a bit off topic, but what amazes me today is the number of 8 to 10 year old Ram and Chevy full size truck that have significant rust around the rear wheel wells. It seems that the manufacturers have been able to fix the rust problems on cars, but not trucks. I would be PO'D if my 10 year old truck got rusty.
And this is likley something seen in the Northern states and not so much on the South.

its crazy, 60-100k trucks that are rusty in under 10 years.. i'd be pissed. thats why i'd only lease one instead of buying one.. all that money and its a pile of rust in under 10 years..

Wow that TSX did put on some weight

I had one in the late 90s, and it couldn't have weighed more then 250 pounds
You most likely had an Integra because the TSX didn’t come out until 2009. Integrals we’re Civic based and TSX’s we’re actually European Accords with higher end trim . Freaking great car ! Its almost like the Jap version of an E30 BMW …almost. E30s we’re the best driving cars !
BTW we get around 32 combined and high 38 hwy in the TSX.

My vehicles get good mileage but i drive for mileage and in doing so "tick" a lot of people off.
Yup...i drive the speed limit, accelerate and stop slowly and in my rear view mirror i see people
shaking their heads and hands in frustration as if i am expected to speed for their convenience.
But i'm retired, leave early and am never in a hurry or panic.
My 4WD '09 Tacoma gets a solid 26 mpg and it is a V6 weighing well over 2 tons.( I looked
for a couple of years for a 4 cylinder but couldn't find one). Most Tacoma owners are lucky to get 19mpg
It's not uncommon for me to wander through the village in 5th or 6th..downshifting only to accelerate
slowly if needed.
I remember one lengthy trip a friend and i took in his Dodge Ram. We took turns driving. When he was
driving we'd tank up and our mileage was 12-13 mpg. When i drove we got 17-18. How you drive makes
a big difference and it seems no matter where i go everyone is driving in a mad panic with every engine
accessory running wide open!
Now, the wife's HRV will knock off 45 mpg no matter how you drive it.

You most likely had an Integra because the TSX didn’t come out until 2009. Integrals we’re Civic based and TSX’s we’re actually European Accords with higher end trim . Freaking great car ! Its almost like the Jap version of an E30 BMW …almost. E30s we’re the best driving cars !
BTW we get around 32 combined and high 38 hwy in the TSX.
no, mine was a suzuki, and got WAY better mileage then 38

1667914471807.png

BMW had a Diesel in Europe that got about 65 mpg, no joke. I'm sure it had the VW tune...

BMW had a Diesel in Europe that got about 65 mpg, no joke. I'm sure it had the VW tune...

im sure there are differences in displacement there too
i have seen VW diesels with only 3 cylinders there, and 1.2 liters

my diesel (here is the US) is the "small" one with 8 cylinders and 6.0 liters

-
Back