New carbon Interior Panels

-

blue missile

Reaction score
I know its been a while since you guys have heard from me but work has been all consuming.
Here are the pics from the rear side panels I fabricated over the past few days. Same proceedure as the test panel. I will be making the door panels as soon as I purchase the speakers. I have the ply already cut but I wont be bagging the panels until I have the speakers for fit in hand.
Andrew

Back side panel 1.jpg

Back side panel 2.jpg

Back side panel 3.jpg

Back side panel5.jpg

Thats preatty cool. I have been making all of my own interior panels. It is really cool to make this stuff myself rather than pay these interior places all of that money. I got what I wanted about $600.00 cheaper. Actually maybe even cheaper than that after looking on legenday's site.

rock and roll dude, looks sweet.........you want my measurements for the valiant LOL

n3w6uy,
funny you should mention that, I am still thinking about how they will be attached. It will either be screwed to the car or velcro. Because they are made out of 1/4" ply the 'bent paperclips' wont work for this aplication. I can however take a pic of them in place temporarly if you like.
Andrew.

Andrew, your ingenuity continues to amaze me. Good looking stuff you have there. Can't wait to see it installed.

n3w6uy,
funny you should mention that, I am still thinking about how they will be attached. It will either be screwed to the car or velcro. Because they are made out of 1/4" ply the 'bent paperclips' wont work for this aplication. I can however take a pic of them in place temporarly if you like.
Andrew.

I would vote no on the Velcro unless it's fastened with something other than the adhesive backside. Heat and humidity will probably loosen it over time.

nice thats why i wanted to use the original wood panels but mine were in ok condition plus i didnt care as long as they look better then orig uggg good job!

Guys,
thanks for the encouragement.

If I use screws they will be black and properly countersunk. I will draw on my many years of installing million dollar millwork packages in Miami. I do not have alot of faith in Self-adheasive Velcro.

Here is a temp install photo. I have to get the roll cage in before I really fasten anything in to the interior. And before the cage cleaning stripping and re welding alot of the seams. The second photo is some of the lousiest welding I have ever seen, and its from the factory. The lack of welds is asstounding!!! But in the meantime I can fabricate the interior pieces based on some basic assumptions.

By the way I am also posting the main renovation pics in member's restorations. along with some additiional stories under the birth of the blue missile.
Andrew

PS fishbreath I love your new avatar, and so do the guys at the office.

drivers back panel.jpg

lousy welding.jpg

Thanks, Andrew, that picture makes me laugh. Man, you are not kidding about those welds! I would bet that Stevie Wonder worked at Chrysler during the early 1970s!

That stuff costs a fortune just to tool up for it but I sure admire your skills and what you have done. Do you work in the aerospace industry? Keep up the good work. I am very impressed.
Pat

Pat,
As far as my background in composites, its a marine based one.You can check out my website a-c-designs.com for the history of my composite exploits. As far as the rest of my history I hardely encourage you to check out "the birth of the Blue Missile" for more details on the current build and the history of the original car. I'm told its a 'good read'.
71Dustar,
first take a look at the top of the thread for a step by step. Also some where in this forum is my post on a carbon package tray and a carbon dashpad with more step by step on bagging.
Fishbreath,
What really astounds me is the fact that alot of the panels are attached with one or two spot welds. With any serious flex this car would have shaken apart, goog thing it was a /6. ;-)
Andrew

Pat, the tale of Andrew's exploits as a young(er) man do make good reading. It is quite an adventure. And, here he is now, a respectable member of the community..God works in mysterious ways. (Just kidding, Andrew).

Fish,
thats alright its a mystery I'm still on the planet. By the way I did post another chunk of tale, the one black-ops story I can tell.
Andrew
What ever gave you the Idea I was Respectable?:toothy10:

-
Back