New coil question

-
I think the standard coil is 1.5 ohms and the ballast resistor is 0.8 ohms for points

I have been searching for the proper coil for a dual point Prestolite dist, haven't really found an answer. Seems like points want a 3 ohm coil. So I was wrong thinking .6 ohm.
Having said all this, we do have a guy here, Halifax? Bet he knows. Why not pm him?
From my FSM, coils for my cuda could've been an Essex or a Prestolite p/n 2444241 and 2444242
"The Essex coil features the part number 2444241 and the words Made in USA stamped on the side of it. The Essex coil was used in a good majority of vehicles produced from 1966 to 1971. The other coil that was used was known as the “Short Fat Type” and was manufactured by Prestolite. The Prestolite coil has part number 2444242"

It's not really the specific coil resistance, because (when you get into 3rd party, like Mallory/ Accel back in the day) It's about current draw, and just about all 3rd party coils/ ignitions had their own special ballast resistors to go with a specific coil. Dual points could handle a bit more current because one set turned on, the other turned off. So in theory the points were doing half the work of single points

So it's the combination of "a" coil and "the" ballast resistance

Do not agree that dual points can handle 'a bit more current' because one turns on & one turns off. Both points set get the same current which is determined by the coil & it's matching resistor. So if a coil/res combination is used that draws more current, both points get the extra current & the points pitting/burning that goes with it.

From my FSM, coils for my cuda could've been an Essex or a Prestolite p/n 2444241 and 2444242
"The Essex coil features the part number 2444241 and the words Made in USA stamped on the side of it. The Essex coil was used in a good majority of vehicles produced from 1966 to 1971. The other coil that was used was known as the “Short Fat Type” and was manufactured by Prestolite. The Prestolite coil has part number 2444242"

And the dual point distributor used the same coils and ballast resistor

The Essex had a primary resistance of 1.41 - 1.55 OHMs

The Prestolite 1.65 - 1.79 OHMs

Both used the same ballast resistor - 2095501
0.5 - 0.6 OHMs

Current Draw - Coil and Ballast in circuit - Engine Stopped 3.0 Amps

Engine Idling 1.9 Amps

0.5 - 0.6 OHMs

Engine Idling 1.9 Amps
Correct, I have the same info from the FSM

0.5 - 0.6 OHMs

Engine Idling 1.9 Amps
Right on the money there! Alot of guys run the 1 ohm resistor because thats what the parts store has. That is mesured hot 70-80F just FYI

-
Back