New Dart Guy..Question

-

67yellowdartgt

Reaction score
Hello,

I just found the site and love all the creative ideas you all have. I just completed a pro-touring car and came across a 1967 Dart GT that I purchased and would like to do the same thing to. Here's the problem, I am the 3rd owner of this numbers matching 273 67 GT. The car is all original with factory air (Blows cold), bucket seats, automatic with console. Yellow with black interior and I even have the original spare, jack and the bill of sale from 1966. Owner I.D. card (metal) is still in the glove box and the car fires right up! It has rust on each quarter panel (easy fix) and on the rear panel between the window and the trunk. Other than that the car is solid as a rock (Trunk, Frame, entire undercarraige, Floorpans etc.)

Here's the problem, I have been told mixed opinions on what I should do. When told what I WANT (Make a pro-touring restomod - late model Hemi Motor, Mini-Tub, change of color etc.) to do, some people agree , but most say to take the car back to ORIGINAL since everything is already there (all original parts and paperwork). What should I do? Go a head with my project since the car is already in good shape or sell it to somebody who wishes to make it stock and start with another project?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to visiting the site frequently!

Welcome to FABO 67! You are going to get lots of opinions on this topic. Personally, I would want to start with a car that was either a roller and/or stripper model. But in the long run, it's yours to do with however you please. Let us know what you decide.

Welcome to FABO! Sounds like a nice car. Now I am no purist my self but that car sounds to nice and original with some nice options on it to cut up. Do like I am and get a plane jane slant six car to make your pro touring car. But in the end it is your car and you can do what ever you like with it.

from the opinions I have gathered from my mopar gearhead buddies here at home, and my mopar gearhead friends here at FABO.. its probably better to do stuff like that to a plain jane /6 car.... which is probably why my friends dont give me any grief about the things I do to my Dart, since it was /6 grandma, grocery getter.... however the other side of the coin still holds merit.. your names on the title, its your car to play with...

Keep us posted...

Well that would make a nice car to restore to stock since its all there and you have paperwork with the car.If it is a factory 273 4 bbl automatic it is one of 1,698 built thats hardtops and convertibles combined.So it may be a harder car to find but still not real real valuable.Bottom line it is you car do as you wish.If it were mine it would not bother me to go either way with it.
Jim

I own a 67 GT also, I respect the guys that restore cars, and show or drive their beautiful factory rigs the way Ma MOPAR intended... That being said, IT IS YOUR CAR, build it the way YOU want. I love my car, but it looks (and will hopefully drive when finished) nothing like it did back in 67. Good Luck.

Thanks to all who replied..Still undecided but leaning towards keeping it and maybe making the changes I intended on (maybe not the mini tub) and keeping/storing all the original parts just to have them.

I will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how... 68383gts-Jim - It's a factory 2 bbl so its even less valuable than the 4 bbl.

Thanks again!

Andre

Here ya go...I built a Myspace page for my other car and added pics of the Dart here. Keep in mind that I love all hot rods (Mopars, Fords, GMs etc..).....My other car is a 1967 Mustang GT500E Convertible..

Click on the photos and you can see the Dart...These were taken the day I bought it.... http://www.myspace.com/eleanorstoplesssister

Andre

Here ya go..I built a myspace page for my other car and added the Dart photos to the photos page... Keep in mind I love ALL hot rods (Moper, Ford and GM). Witht that said, my finished project on this page is a 1967 Shelbly GT500E Clone :)

Click on the pictures page - http://www.myspace.com/eleanorstoplesssister

Andre

Welcome! Sounds like a nice Dart you've got there 8) I like the idea of keeping a cool original car just that, a cool original car. Even if it's not a great "collectible". But then I like to drive my car a lot, so it's had a variety of replacement parts from NOS to repops to "alternative" parts. So it's not all that original anymore.

The bottom line is, I do it that way because it suits ME. I couldn't be any happier with my car because I build/fix and use it the way I want to. Do yours the way YOU want to!

I can't wait to follow your decision/progress. Keep us posted.

Mike

Welcome 67yellowdartgt, It sounds to nice to cut up man. Enjoy it the way it is, the 273 is not a bad engine for crusing around town. Just my opinion. :-D

After seeing the pics, now I am leaning more towards a little sheetmetal sectioning/paint and interior work and enjoy a nice cruiser. There are plenty of rollers out there that would be a good foundation. BTW: I dig the 'stang.

-
Back