New dash and Holley Sniper installed....wow!

-
How did you like the Sniper after it was all set up and done learning? Any pros and cons over carbureted that you can share?

Been thinking about going with the Sniper lately but the price has me a bit worried whether or not it's worth it.

My restoration has been going slow - so havent had it running yet!!! I've fired up the engine to break in the cam but used a carb. I'm now just installing the sniper and wiring. Will be this summer before it is on the road.
Jim

How did you like the Sniper after it was all set up and done learning? Any pros and cons over carbureted that you can share?

Been thinking about going with the Sniper lately but the price has me a bit worried whether or not it's worth it.
Pros....it starts up without hesitation. Idles where you set it via the wizard. Also can use the wizard to control timing if you also have hyperspark distributor.

Cons....I've had to replace the O2 sensor already. Also, some people have had issues with loose injector wiring (easy fix though) or bad Sniper units and had to have them replaced. I've had mine retuned on a chassis dyno when I had the transmission swapped and while it did unlock a little more HP, the tune that the shop gave me made the car "stumble" more until it was fully warmed up. To be honest, a good carburetor will probably be easier to dial in than a Sniper.

I like the resonator idea...those are going on my 66 for sure...
I have them on my car as well. They did an "ok" job of limiting the "drone" a slight bit but it was still there. So I swapped out my mufflers to Pypes Turbo mufflers and that helped the best.

Pros....it starts up without hesitation. Idles where you set it via the wizard. Also can use the wizard to control timing if you also have hyperspark distributor.

Cons....I've had to replace the O2 sensor already. Also, some people have had issues with loose injector wiring (easy fix though) or bad Sniper units and had to have them replaced. I've had mine retuned on a chassis dyno when I had the transmission swapped and while it did unlock a little more HP, the tune that the shop gave me made the car "stumble" more until it was fully warmed up. To be honest, a good carburetor will probably be easier to dial in than a Sniper.

Thanks for the feedback. Does yours have the hyperspark distributor? If so, did you notice any difference from the drivers seat compared to any other ignition you've ever used?

Thanks for the feedback. Does yours have the hyperspark distributor? If so, did you notice any difference from the drivers seat compared to any other ignition you've ever used?
Yes, I have hyperspark. Can't say that I noticed any difference between this and the MSD distributor that was previously on the car.

Yes, I have hyperspark. Can't say that I noticed any difference between this and the MSD distributor that was previously on the car.

Man it's just hard to justify the price at this point. Would be nice not having to crank the engine over and over due to percolation and just knowing that it's going to fire up on first crank and be close to dialed in all the time but the cost is huge.

Blueprint engines said they'd honor the original $800 price on the Sniper if I decided to go with it when my engine is ready. That's over $400 lower than what the unit costs now. Then its $550 + shipping for the tank and fuel pump and then $800 for the hyperspark. Probably a couple hundred more for the return line and any other odds and ends required. Now I'm at over $2600+ for EFI on a weekend driver. The benefits sound so nice but I just don't know if it's worth that kind of change.

Man it's just hard to justify the price at this point. Would be nice not having to crank the engine over and over due to percolation and just knowing that it's going to fire up on first crank and be close to dialed in all the time but the cost is huge.

Blueprint engines said they'd honor the original $800 price on the Sniper if I decided to go with it when my engine is ready. That's over $400 lower than what the unit costs now. Then its $550 + shipping for the tank and fuel pump and then $800 for the hyperspark. Probably a couple hundred more for the return line and any other odds and ends required. Now I'm at over $2600+ for EFI on a weekend driver. The benefits sound so nice but I just don't know if it's worth that kind of change.
I personally have thought about EFI a ton. But living out west it doesn’t get too cold and my carb has worked great. Takes some work to start in the freezing but 2600$ to me is too much.

Yeah it's a lot of money but once it's dialed in, you shouldn't have any problems. Your car will start up and drive like your daily. Btw, you don't need a return line with the Sniper.

Aftermarket EFI systems like this are great for many reasons but personally having a carb is part of the "charm" of driving a classic, I enjoy tinkering and get a kick out of "messy" cold starts on cold days lol but I totally understand not everyone is like that. I could see myself getting one at some point if I had the cash for it especially if I go forced-induction.

FWIW the Street Demon carb on my Duster is pretty dang close to having EFI except when it's extremely cold or hot outside, like below 10 degrees or above 100 and I don't enjoy driving it much when the weather is like that anyway. Hardly any insulation and the factory heater isn't very powerful lol, also no A/C.

I have the sniper stealth up and running on the 383 and it does fire right up! BUT.....so does the single barrel slant in the duster. The barracuda still has to be run to 'learn' and isn't tried and true in my opinion. Im happy to take a chance and throw some 'tech' into the situation, but Ill keep the slant the way it is.......might get rid of the front drums.....meh....Ill keep those probably out of sheer laziness.

I appreciate the weigh in on the 'drone'. I have the summit 14" muffs on the BB and man its too loud for my azz. Im thinking something that is 3" in, 2.5" out, and maybe 20" long?

Congrats on the startup! nice ride!

Oh, yeah that whole ignition power/cranking power thing has not been well thought out by the manufacturers of these things. I followed the instructions and it all worked but it does seem like a weak link. Getting the hyperspark, coil, and ignition box was some good advice from ol @AndyF. Last I saw he was hanging around on the holley forum. Wicked smart guy!

Speaking of the exhaust "drone".....the only way I found to get rid of it for good was to swap out the three speed auto for a 5 speed manual. Expensive "fix" but it was worth it!

then I went and sold the car. Lost a ton of money but I wasn't driving the car much and decided that I'd rather have a nice daily driver instead.

Stupid question....can you keep all your mechanical gauges when converting to the sniper EFI?

When using the hyperspark, holley coil, and holley ignition box Im finding that I am having to convert the tach to be able to receive a digital signal. Not installed yet so I cant commit to weather it is going to work. Ill try to remember to circle back and report.

RTE 67-74 Tach kit - rte

-
Back