New Dash Gauges & Insert (73 Duster)

-

AzDUSTER

Reaction score
Hi - Does anyone know info on the aftermarket light and wiper switches needed for a new dash panel ? I am installing a new dash panel (see picture) now and the old switches do not fit behind it properly.

Thanks - Mike

Duster Dash Gauges.jpg

I think you are going to be better off making the old switches fit it, unless there is some major reason that they won't.
Just an FYI also, the wiper switch needs to be chassis grounded for the wipers to work.

I think you are going to be better off making the old switches fit it, unless there is some major reason that they won't.
Just an FYI also, the wiper switch needs to be chassis grounded for the wipers to work.
Thanks for the info. The old switches physically will not mount on this with the new gauges in place. Checking with the manufacturer as to what these new switches are.

Thanks for the info. The old switches physically will not mount on this with the new gauges in place. Checking with the manufacturer as to what these new switches are.
That soooo sucks, because as far as I know there are no decent working replacements for the wiper switch.
The headlight switch won't be as bad because as switches go they are pretty generic, but the wiper switch is fairly specific.
Hope they have a decent answer for that besides relocating them.

I'm dealing with the same thing. The headlight switch isn't a problem but the wiper switch is. I've taken a large flat washer, painted it black so it blends in, and epoxied it into the recess around the hole for the switch. I cut a sheet metal "washer" for the back side so the two will pancake against the (small) lip around the hole. For a little insurance, since there's not a lot of plastic there, I also made a small brace with a slot that will sit under the shaft behind dash, and go down to the dash frame.

Fyi watch that you get the right wiper switch, as I believe that they have to be specific (2 spd switch and 2spd motor, 3spd switch and 3spd motor)

Who was the mfg of dash?

Fyi watch that you get the right wiper switch, as I believe that they have to be specific (2 spd switch and 2spd motor, 3spd switch and 3spd motor)

Who was the mfg of dash?

Hi - It is sold by Fast Lane West Racing ... I did some research and found that these two aftermarket switches made by American Autowire should work with this new dash insert. I have the parts on order and should be finished with my install early next week.

# 500146 Wiper Switch & # 500341 Light Switch

I'm dealing with the same thing. The headlight switch isn't a problem but the wiper switch is. I've taken a large flat washer, painted it black so it blends in, and epoxied it into the recess around the hole for the switch. I cut a sheet metal "washer" for the back side so the two will pancake against the (small) lip around the hole. For a little insurance, since there's not a lot of plastic there, I also made a small brace with a slot that will sit under the shaft behind dash, and go down to the dash frame.
These aftermarket parts should work :

American Autowire # 500146 Wiper Switch & # 500341 Light Switch

Hi Guys - Those two parts I was told would work just came in and they are the same size etc. as the original Duster parts ! Fast Lane West Racing Products who sold me the new dash insert told me these were the parts to order.

American Autowire # 500146 Wiper Switch & # 500341 Light Switch

I am researching again ... can anyone help on this ?

Thanks

From what little I can see, I'm thinking there's barely space for a toggle switch remaining.
Tube like switch housing extensions, along with switch stem extensions, for the OEM switches ( about 3 inches long ) would be my solution.
I can see what I would fabricate in my minds eye. The rest of myself doesn't fabricate anymore.
Aftermarket might make them for you, If you order a thousand or more.

From what little I can see, I'm thinking there's barely space for a toggle switch remaining.
Tube like switch housing extensions, along with switch stem extensions, for the OEM switches ( about 3 inches long ) would be my solution.
I can see what I would fabricate in my minds eye. The rest of myself doesn't fabricate anymore.
Aftermarket might make them for you, If you order a thousand or more.

Thanks for the info ... yes there is barely space for any type of light switch. I will have to have it mounted down under the dash for now. Let me know if you have any other thoughts. There is at least one other guy with this problem at the moment.

The only switch that I made work with a fastlane dash panel was a gm based switch. Wasn't too bad for me because I was re-wiring the entire car so I adapted. FWIW I shitcanned the fast lane stuff and made my own dash face using the original insert, end of fitment problems.

The only switch that I made work with a fastlane dash panel was a gm based switch. Wasn't too bad for me because I was re-wiring the entire car so I adapted. FWIW I shitcanned the fast lane stuff and made my own dash face using the original insert, end of fitment problems.
Thanks !

Think EZ wiring might have some that will work.they have a two speed wiper and a headlight switch, will just have to wire them for your car. And they are only $29 for headlight and $20 for wiper

Think EZ wiring might have some that will work.they have a two speed wiper and a headlight switch, will just have to wire them for your car. And they are only $29 for headlight and $20 for wiper
Thank you ... I will check that out.

How sturdy is that panel with all the guages installed?
The new dash piece is light and thin and not very heavy with the gauges installed. It fits in the dash pretty well but not as tight and sealed as the old gauge panel.

The trick to getting the existing headlight and wiper switches to fit on this is to remove the new gauges in those areas first, install the switches and put the gauges back (it is tight). The new dash came built with all of the new gauges installed and the shop that was putting this in for me did not try this at first.

OK thanks. I've been looking at these but someone told me to stay away because they were flimsy with the guages installed.

OK thanks. I've been looking at these but someone told me to stay away because they were flimsy with the guages installed.
Of course it gets weaker when shot full of holes.
The challenge would be in retaining some portion of the original inst' housing or fabricating something similar ( even skeleton like ) to support the weight of the instruments.
I put countless hours ( scattered over a 2 year period ) in designing the metal support plate behind this rallye panel mod.

DeMonDIN  02.JPG

Of course it gets weaker when shot full of holes.
The challenge would be in retaining some portion of the original inst' housing or fabricating something similar ( even skeleton like ) to support the weight of the instruments.
I put countless hours ( scattered over a 2 year period ) in designing the metal support plate behind this rallye panel mod.

View attachment 1714977848
Nice ... yes if a frame or cradle fit around these new dash inserts that would be perfect. My new dash piece is not heavy at all but feels flimsy when you are handling it.

-
Back