New dizzy number trois

-

65TerrorCuda

Reaction score
Straight out of the box. Dizzy 1 no mech advance, dizzy 2 no vacuum advance

20221013_133653.jpg

20221013_133627.jpg

20221013_133623.jpg

Wow, what brand is that and where are you getting them from? Remind me not to buy one of those.
SKP or SKD, from Rock Auto. Honestly it's a bottom of the barrel dizzy which I shouldn't be surprised have this many problems. It's well made just poorly assembled. And now Rock won't replace it either, that hurts my feelings lol

SKP or SKD, from Rock Auto. Honestly it's a bottom of the barrel dizzy which I shouldn't be surprised have this many problems. It's well made just poorly assembled. And now Rock won't replace it either, that hurts my feelings lol
Oreilly sells new Spectra distributors. Same Canadian company that makes radiators, gas tanks and fuel senders. They are a decent product.

Oreilly sells new Spectra distributors. Same Canadian company that makes radiators, gas tanks and fuel senders. They are a decent product.
Thanks Rusty,
I might get a new vacuum advance can for the original single points dizzy after seeing all this carnage. The ignition I'm using does either points or electronic. I am going to look at the Spectra as well

Thanks Rusty,
I might get a new vacuum advance can for the original single points dizzy after seeing all this carnage. The ignition I'm using does either points or electronic. I am going to look at the Spectra as well
You can slap a point distributor right in where an electronic came out on all the Mopar electronic ignitions. That's why the point style makes a great backup.

You can slap a point distributor right in where an electronic came out on all the Mopar electronic ignitions. That's why the point style makes a great backup.
No joke? That's awesome! I learned something today.

Another surprise: pickup runs into vacuum advance pin and can't get closer than maybe .020. It's on its way back

20221013_133828.jpg

20221013_160623.jpg

Wow, that’s terrible. I wonder if it’s a case of an eight year old boy in IndoChina who hasn’t learned how to assemble distributors yet…

Just get one from our member @halifaxhops

He will build it with good quality parts and can even tailor the curve for you...

Here's one of Halifaxhop's distributors in my buddy's 69 Dart in case you want a reference... He curved it for us and we dialed in the timing...

Excuse the third one as I came off too hard and had to let off it early...

As the cobwebs clear, it maybe the negative side of coil. That's actually Killer to Know Man! Ahh, the tricks and stunts unknown to common folks.... Thanks Rob! I have an ol points unit hanging out in the shop I built. Eliminates ALOT of Roadside Run tests, IF you have an issue! Personally, points have Never done me wrong. I put a Dyna Dual Fire elec ign on the 77 drag bike, at one point after a 1/2 rebuild, I went back to points. Fired right up!. Now, What happened to the Elec unit? Ain't seen it in over 12 years .... hmmm darn brain thing...

Thanks Karl. In the picture it still looks like you have adjustment between the pick up coil and the reluctor. Should be .008-,010. Parts store distributors are a crap shoot with the curve they are made to cover a large span of curves over usually a 8-10 year spread. Some are great and some suck for your car but they will all make it run. Curve is the key to them.

Last edited:
Thanks Karl. In the picture it still looks like you have adjustment between the pick up coil and the reluctor. Should be .008-,010. Parts store distributors are a crap shoot with the curve they are made to cover a large span of curves over usually a 8-10 year spread. Some are great and some suck for your car but they will all make it run. Curve is the key to them.
That's as far as you can move it, the pickup is jammed against the vacuum advance linkage. I was going to fix and keep it but I didn't feel like filing parts down. Afraid of what I'd find next :)

fudged up dizzy 2.jpg

Last edited:
I see it now. Return it is wrong somehow cant tell by the pics what. . I have never run into that. By the wire colors definately a replacement aftermarket pick up. All mopar 8 except the MP are red and black,

Last edited:
tHE SOLID COLORS ARE usually usa nors LIKE kEM, sTANDARD ETC. the striped from what I have seen are no name who know where it came from stuff, cheap for a rebuilder to use in quantity, old stuff is drying up pretty fast now.

So can't tell from the small pics (phone)
Just for my own interest and info Dist. #1 the roll pin came out the reluct and licked it up braking the rotor/ cap damage?
#2 No adjustments to get the Magnetic Pickup to .008-.010? From cheap pick-up source when thet built it?

So can't tell from the small pics (phone)
Just for my own interest and info Dist. #1 the roll pin came out the reluct and licked it up braking the rotor/ cap damage?
#2 No adjustments to get the Magnetic Pickup to .008-.010? From cheap pick-up source when thet built it?
All the pics are of dist 3. The reluctor roll pin was not seated and came out with the rotor, which was broken. I don't know what they did to make the pickup collide with the vacuum advance pin. And no, it couldn't get closer than about 20 thou.
They just slapped it together and said hey it's friday 5pm is my best guess!

I'm grabbing another cardone let's see how this one goes.

20221025_004055.jpg

Dizzy #4 I'm going to keep. The only issues so far are the advance slots were rough so I honed them a little and the drive tang was too long and crooked so I filed that a tad. Also the electrical plug is slightly different from the accel plug. This dizzy has the pins staggered, I tried to show in the pics. Which one is correct?
20221025_010603_HDR.jpg

20221025_014207.jpg

20221025_014221_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back