New Duster Owner in the Detroit Area...

-

1972DusterPaul

Reaction score
Hello Boys and Girls,
I just bought a 1972 Duster off of Craigslist and thought I would join up here. Probably overpaid a bit but it is red and has a 340...

It's a 318 car now upgraded with 340 power (1969 vintage) with a mild hot rodding, the interior came from a 1971 Dodge Demon and looks decent. I am thinking changing the seat covers to the appropriate 340 Duster seat cover since the passenger seat is a bit ratty.

It's an automatic with manual reverse body and a Turbo Action convertor of unknown specs.

The guy told me the Sure-Grip rear end holds 4.11 gears, but the invoice on the rear-end build seems to indicate a 3.91 gearing...so I will have to look into it.

Body sports the original paint which makes it a 20/20 car...20 feet and 20 miles per hour...it looks good enough for now. There are 2 minor holes behind the driver's rear wheel, and the front driver's fender will need to be replaced because of a boo-boo right at the headlight...but other than that it should be a straight forward de-dent and de-ding paint job.

After painting it, I mainly hope to drive the car and enjoy it doing minor work here and there to keep it on the road...knock on wood (hollow sound coming from my head).

I live in the Northville/Novi area of Detroit, and hope to see some of you A-Body owners out on local cruises and the Dream Cruise.

vbpgimage.php

Paul

nice, i remember seeing that on craigslist a few months back. was going to look at it but ended up with a 68 barracuda instead. welcome to the site.

Welcome aboard Paul! I had to laugh at your opener, "... probably overpaid but it's red ..." You could do a lot worse (but I'm a bit prejudiced haaaa). It sounds like your plans are well thought out and the car looks great! Make yourself at home and enjoy -- you've found the best Mopar site out there! Keep us updated.

Welcome to FABO. Nice Duster ya got there.i got a brother not far from you in Ann Arbor,but he's an import guy:bootysha:,drives a Porsche.8)

welcome!..looks like a nice start! im just starting my 72 duster build too! but a long way to go till where i want it! this your first old mopar?..

nice, i remember seeing that on craigslist a few months back. was going to look at it but ended up with a 68 barracuda instead. welcome to the site.

I was actually targeting Dusters (70-72), Darts (67-69) and Barracudas (67-69).

With this Duster the body is both the positive and the negative of the car. Pretty much rustfree in the Midwest is great...I was hoping not to have to deal with painting a car though. Starting out Bondoless is good. I plan on pricing out body shops, and seeing how that goes.

I might do some or all the body work and paint myself...I will have to see how patient my wife is feeling this summer/fall.

Purchase price was good enough to at least explore some options.

Paul

Welcome to FABO. Nice Duster ya got there.i got a brother not far from you in Ann Arbor,but he's an import guy:bootysha:,drives a Porsche.8)

I generally drive Fords, my dad is a retired Ford engineer.

I did buy a neighbor's 2002 MINI Cooper S as my summer driver, my first daily foreign adventure.

And I sold a 1966 Sunbeam Tiger project car to finance my return to MOPAR.

For those of you who are unfamilar with Tigers...think Mazda Miata with a Ford Mustang GT V8...the Tiger is a 60s British Sportscar with a Ford 289 and toploader transmission.

Paul

welcome!..looks like a nice start! im just starting my 72 duster build too! but a long way to go till where i want it! this your first old mopar?..

This was my 1966 Plymouth Belvedere II. It was my grandfather's, I daily drove it through college in the mid/late 1980s and I restored it over a period of 10 years...the family joke was that the only thing left of the car was the roof.

vbpgimage.php

Motivated by a 383...from a 69 Road Runner that donated it's entire drivetrain.

vbpgimage.php

Sold it to a local guy...to buy the Sunbeam...and never saw it again...I still regret selling it.

Paul

Make that a second welcome from Howell, MI Paul. Welcome aboard and sweet Duster!

And a third welcome from Warren, Mi Paul , very nice car ya got there good luck with your build. By the way did you talk to a guy selling a scamp locally near you?

just by chance anybody up there know of a tow company called tobys towing? my room mate in fla. in the 80s his dad owned it and have not heared from him for a long time todd was his name. all so nice duster. his mom and step dad own spartin tire up there to.

Paul: I tried to buy that Duster for a good month or so....but
the owner (Raymond) kept ignoring me because I am Canadian I quess.
The original asking price was $10,000 in the Craiglist ad and
I was willing to pay him that amount. I asked him to send me more
photos but he kept making up excuses like he didn't know how to
work the camera.He had to get the wife to do it after work.
I chased him for a weeks but no photos. Then I see he lower
the asking price to $8000.00
What a character!!!! I was willing to give him the first higher
price. I just wanted him to send me more photos other than the
ones he put on the Craiglist ad. I had the money sitting in a cookie
jar waiting to buy the car but he won't reply to my email request.
I can't understand if you post a car for sale, then answer
inquires.
I eventually bought a 71 Demon instead, here in Canada.

What did you eventually pay for that Duster?????

Wilson
Ontario Canada

2029me7_20.jpg

2364c8m_20.jpg

Wilson,
Seems like you bought a nice Demon in the end.

I am not sure why Ray would have ignored you...it's crazy to leave any money on the table with this economy.

I paid a good deal less than the $8K asking price...that's my story and I am stickin' to it.

Paul

Paul: I tried to buy that Duster for a good month or so....but
the owner (Raymond) kept ignoring me because I am Canadian I quess.
The original asking price was $10,000 in the Craiglist ad and
I was willing to pay him that amount. I asked him to send me more
photos but he kept making up excuses like he didn't know how to
work the camera.He had to get the wife to do it after work.
I chased him for a weeks but no photos. Then I see he lower
the asking price to $8000.00
What a character!!!! I was willing to give him the first higher
price. I just wanted him to send me more photos other than the
ones he put on the Craiglist ad. I had the money sitting in a cookie
jar waiting to buy the car but he won't reply to my email request.
I can't understand if you post a car for sale, then answer
inquires.
I eventually bought a 71 Demon instead, here in Canada.

What did you eventually pay for that Duster?????

Wilson
Ontario Canada

Paul: Is the car as solid as described in the ad. It must be because
it still has it's original paint and sheet metal.

Thanks

-
Back