New Ebay/PayPal Scam???

-

rklein383

Reaction score
Twice now, I have had a buyer through Ebay tell me that they can't get their computer to work to pay me through Ebay. They then go on to ask for my PayPal info so the can pay me outside of Ebay.

What is going on with this? I sense a scam.

Anybody hear about this????

I already have the first order cancellation in progress. The guy showed a Mexico address when I tried to send an invoice. The second guy contacted me saying he wanted to buy some brackets that were previously unsold. I relisted them so he could buy them now, and now he says he can't pay me through Ebay. Oh yeah, he can't remember his password. Both characters had terrible English writing skills.

I sent him an email and told him he needs to pay me through Ebay or I will have to cancel the order.

Don't they need computer/iphone to access ebay??? #-o

But it somehow won't work for paypal... #-o

Something awfuwy screwy's going on awound here.... (in Elmer Fudd voice...) :wack:

Its nothing new. People will try anything to rip you off. Ebay even warns against people trying to buy or sell outside of paypal

They want to deal outside of ebay so they don't have to pay the ebay fees as well as the paypal fees! If you're gonna shop or sell on eBay, my feeling is that you need to follow procedures!!!

yea, they are trying to avoid Ebay fees - less fees for both parties if you go straight through PayPal (you can direct send $$).. but, as cosgig said, thems the rules if you're gonna use Ebay - deal with it..

Ebay does not charge the buyer fees only the seller.
^^^true enough - maybe they are trying to "get" your email address for some reason..

No, I think they would love for you to skirt the ebay process, then have you work the transaction as a friends and family deal so you have no protection!! JMO!

No, I think they would love for you to skirt the ebay process, then have you work the transaction as a friends and family deal so you have no protection!! JMO!

Geoff he is the seller if I read the op correctly so he would not lose any protection under friends and family.

you have no recourse if you get ripped off and don't go through EBay/PayPal.
Asking you to do that is like feeling you out to see if you are trusting or naive.
DON'T DO IT!

^^This^^ Whenever you email, contact, pay, complain, "do anything" on ebay, go through the ebay "stuff." You have to be careful, because sometimes the person you are dealing with emails you and it's "set up" so that if you just hit your EMAIL reply instead of the EBAY reply, you will be sending a direct email.

You want all this tracking to protect yourself. Unless, of course, YOU are the shyster

-
Back