new engine problem

-

74360duster

JEREMY
Reaction score
today we fired the new big block in my 74 dart swinger.
it has:
14.5.1 forged domed ross pistons
m1 intake,
ported and polished factory heads-flowed upper 290's
284 dur.-690 lift ultradyne roller cam
comp roller lifters
.30 over motor
msd ignition
eagle h beam rods
balanced steel crank
sfi fluidamper
forward pattern manual valve body
running 118 octane fuel.
elephan ear mounts.
Problem is the engine fired first 1/2 turn.The rumble of that motor gave me a big ole woody;
then 20 sec. after running seen a poof of something out the right side. darn thing blew a head gasket at #6. was dripping on the floor. pulled the plug and the cylinder was full of water. So off the head has to come tomorrow. everything was checked and was ok and straight. I guess maybe it was a bad head gasket?
running the felpro 1009 o-ring gaskets. Has anyone had this problem.
cam sounds awesome in the car. cannot wait to see how it runs at the strip. my friend has same motor with alittle smaller cam.
he just ran a 10.22 at monster mopar spinning the tires about 300 ft out.
he did trip the 60 ft light with the back tires.
he thinks mine will run 9.8-9.90's. I can't wait. Just have to get this headgasket problem fixed. This is all motor. No power adders.

Compression seems a bit high for that head gasket, you may need to use copper and "O" ring the block and a reciever groove in the heads.

I agree wrong gasket, not sure on how I'd fix it. You're on the fringe of my expertise. I dont think you need the O rings, I know of 12.5+ engines running the plain blue gaskets with no issues but with good head bolts/studs. I think you definately will want copper. Maybe SCE? Are the surfaces finished smooth enough for MLS type gaskets? (They need to be Ra value of under 30... Normal milling leaves and Ra of 40 on up. Higher the value the rougher the surface)

Seems like alot of compression to me to be running that gasket. I agree with BJR. Why so much compression a friend of mine is running a 440 in a 2800 lb car and is running 9.98 with a 10.5 to 1 motor on pump gas.

If you run copper you will need a "O" ring and a reciever groove to make it work, copper by it self won't seal with that compression. Been there done that. I was at 15.25:1 and your not far behind, about 5 cc's of chamber volume sounds about right.

running 14 to 1 on mine with no problems. Was worried about it to begin with thinking i might have to o ring it but after 2 seasons no problems an i have had the heads off 3 times using the same gaskets. Make sure you retorch after you get it good an hot. My thoughts would be a warped head or something along that line

pulling the head off tonight. not sure what i will find. it sounded really good for about 20-30 sec. before it blew. I will keep everyone informed. thanks for the input guys.
jeremy

-
Back