New ESPO XHD installed

-

cuda67

Reaction score
Well, I just finished installing the ESPO 1 inch over stock springs and I am really a little nervous. I just lowered my Vert and measured the new height and it is 3.5 inches higher than it was. I hope everyone is right that it will settle, this is not what I was looking for. I have 17 inch tires and thay look like 14 inch now. I guess 15inch tires would look like wheelbarrow tires. Not super happy at this moment.

How beat we're the old springs? Why didn't you go with stock height springs? No way would I have gone any higher on a car running a 17" wheel.

How beat we're the old springs? Why didn't you go with stock height springs? No way would I have gone any higher on a car running a 17" wheel.

The old springs were very beat, starting to arch the opposite way. I went 1 over because I have 275x40 on the rear and 225x45 on the front. I needed or I thought I needed the extra 1 inch to clear the rear. It was bottoming on bumps and when my bigger friends rode with me. What the heck it suppose to be 1 inch over stock not really that much, this looks like alot more. I'll take pictures tomorrow and post, I am not sure I have old pictures to compare I will check.

Loosen all bushing bolts. Place a floor jack under each shock plate in turn and lift until BOTH wheels are in the air if possible. You want to compress and flex the springs as much as possible. This will help break in your springs.

For handling, most want to lower their cars slightly if anything, so factory ride height is probably where you wanted to start.

Also, for the record, the factory leaf spring was designed to be flat, or nearly so as installed, and provides the best handling this way.

The old springs were very beat, starting to arch the opposite way. I went 1 over because I have 275x40 on the rear and 225x45 on the front. I needed or I thought I needed the extra 1 inch to clear the rear. It was bottoming on bumps and when my bigger friends rode with me. What the heck it suppose to be 1 inch over stock not really that much, this looks like alot more. I'll take pictures tomorrow and post, I am not sure I have old pictures to compare I will check.

Your 275-40-17 is the same height as the stock tire. You went from lower than stock to higher than stock.

You should have a big gap and I don't think it will settle out. Return the springs and get the correct ones if you can or sell them here......

You could also try:

•flipping the front hanger.

•install lowering blocks

But really, you ordered the wrong spring for what you wanted.

I also went with the ESPO +1 springs because I like the look better than stock ride height. Unfortunately, mine settled quite a bit. Here is where they sit after two years and 1000 miles. That's a 15 inch wheel for reference.

IMG_6702.jpg

My $.02 from experience the difference in height is a shock at first but then you get used to it and you will get positive comments about it.

Here are a couple of pics of before and after the ESPO springs. The first one is before ESPO and the second one is after ESPO. The original shock of the difference today is a little less than yesterday and I think it will be fine. I am definitely not going to pull them off and send them back, it is not that bad!!!!! The tires are just shy of 26 inches but they are 9.5 inches wide that is the reason for the added height, to keep them under the fender in the well.
Misc141-1.jpg

DSCF2899-1.jpg

it will settle, that looks more than 1" !! ... did you tighten all the bushing bolts with the weight of vehicle supported by the springs( jack stands under the rear axle, not the frame ! ) ??? ...

it will settle, that looks more than 1" !! ... did you tighten all the bushing bolts with the weight of vehicle supported by the springs( jack stands under the rear axle, not the frame ! ) ??? ...

I have to say "No", to that. The car was supported by the frame while I did this. I installed the springs while the car was supported by the frame. I used a jack under the axel to align everything but the majority of the weight was on the frame so I could align the springs to the axels. Was that wrong?
I could probably lift the car by the axel now that the springs are in but I couldn't support the car with the springs un-installled. Do I need to raise the car by the axel and loosen and re-tighten the bushings????

yes you should tighten the bolts after the weight is on the suspension. not sure that will lower the car any but it will be better for all the bushings.

i kinda like your before pictures... can always put some weight in the tunk.. :)

you installed them correctly, but should have left everything loose and raised the car from the rear axle, supported by jack stands, then tightened all bolts. i would def raise it back up from the axle, loosen then re-tighten ... will be better for your bushings, if not they will always be in a bind ....

I think we should clarify, he bought ESPO XHD springs. Mine are just +1 springs, although they did have one more leaf than my stock 6 cyl springs that I took out.

I would re-tighten as suggested, put some weight in the trunk and drive it 500 miles and see what happens.

yes you should tighten the bolts after the weight is on the suspension. not sure that will lower the car any but it will be better for all the bushings.

i kinda like your before pictures... can always put some weight in the tunk.. :)

you installed them correctly, but should have left everything loose and raised the car from the rear axle, supported by jack stands, then tightened all bolts. i would def raise it back up from the axle, loosen then re-tighten ... will be better for your bushings, if not they will always be in a bind ....

I think we should clarify, he bought ESPO XHD springs. Mine are just +1 springs, although they did have one more leaf than my stock 6 cyl springs that I took out.

I would re-tighten as suggested, put some weight in the trunk and drive it 500 miles and see what happens.

That doesn't sound like a problem to do. I will do same this week and let you all know of any difference. One more question, "Do I loosen and re-tighen the front bushing also or just the rear bushings in the shackles???"

Thanks for the help, I need it.

re-tightened the bushing today as suggested. There was a little difference of may a 1/4 lower. I think it will work out with time. I am going to lift the front a little if it doesn't settle some.

Thank you all for the help. I am in the process of painting the car and when it is done I will post some pictures. It will be black again, only this time it will be hand striped and hand blocked, maybe some ghost flames,not sure.

You could have them de-arched a little. We did this after letting the new rear leafs settle for a 1.5 years and still too high. Took 2 inches out of the height by de-arch. Looks perfect now.

Could always put a lowering block between the spring and rear end.

-
Back