new "exact fit" alternator doesn't fit

-

wlecat

Reaction score
My old round back alternator crapped out on me, not sure what amperage it was since there’s no marking andit didn’t put out anything ( had it tested at NAPA).

I ordered an “exact fit” 60a 2Vbelt replacement for my 1969 340 and it showed up as a square back, I tried to mount it but it didn’t “exactly fit”, the square section in the back of the alternator hits the head. Putting a spacer in would put the V belt out of alignment.

I’ve ordered 3 different 60A 2V belt alternators since from different major local auto parts distributors and regardless of the picture they show in the computer, they all show up and they’re the square back. Waiting for the most recent to see if it show up round back like they promised.

Has anyone run into this problem? How did you alleviate it?

Also the 1967 Barracuda the engine is in was originally wired for a 170S6 manual trans with no A/C, and no power brakes or steering (does have power convertible); But I'm hoping to upgrade with those in the future.

Will I need to upgrade any of the other electric parts (regulators, relays etc.)?

I'm guessing... wrong length belts and/or wrong bolt hole being used.

Sent 3 or 4 back always wrong. Do not know about fitment issues but did not want the square back. Ended up rebuilding the old one myself then had it tested. You can get the brushes, bearings and diodes as long as the slip ring faces and windings are good.

get the original one rebuilt, you end up with a better alternator anyway, assuming you have a good shop to do it

There was just another thread on this last week I think. Not sure if it was here though. The square back alt hits the head when you use the older style brackets. You have to use the round back with the stock brackets.

I have a square-back in my 65 SB (273) on after-market chrome brackets. Search my posts for photos. As I recall, the fan belt is on the inner alt pulley groove and runs direct to the crank pulley (2nd groove?). The water pump runs with the power steering, but that is all later stuff (alum w.p., short alum pulley, Federal p.s. pump). My engine has the factory damper & 2-groove crank pulley, with separate alum AC pulley insert (dealer or after-market kit).

Anyway, lots of ways to mount and drive an alternator. The square-back is better, spec'ing ~70 A output vs 30 A, and is much better at low rpm. To use it electrically in your car, ground one of the brushes. In my car, I mounted the later Vreg near it.

-
Back